Which Log should I use in MLRawViewer 1.4.3 ?

Started by NitromanX, April 24, 2015, 07:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NitromanX

Hi !

I'm getting to grips with MLV raw and using MLRawViewer 1.4.3 to process my files.

However, I see there are several differemt log settings to choose. Which one is best to edit in FCPX ?

Tbh, most of them look pretty dark or very flat but i assume this still allows a great deal of grading in FCPX as (i think) the files are ProRes 4444 ?

I'd like to use VisionLog cube LUT if there is one as i use the VisionLog ACR dcp profile when playing with dngs. Is this a good idea ?

Is MLRawViewer 1.4.3 also the latest version as not much seems to be happening lately.

I'm a bit confused about all this log and lut stuff so all advice is appreciated.

arrinkiiii

Hi,

regarding the LOG in ACR i think you should use Cinelog from Andy, its the best for ML =)

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

NitromanX

I wondered about that as read about CineLog on the forum. ;)

So i just buy that for $50 and apply it in ACR as a dcp ?

Can i then apply a LUT in FCP X ? If so ... how ?!

All advice appreciated ! Thanks in advance.

DeafEyeJedi

@NitromanX:

Correct.

In FCPX, there's a plugin that you can buy called LUT Utility which works really well.

NitromanX

Ahhh yes ... I saw that on http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/lututility for just $29.

Seems a good price and now playing with the trial demo in FCP X.

What do you think of the Osiris and Impulz profiles and LUTs - i'm itching to buy one but not sure i'll benefit. Atm i'm using Magic Bullet Looks.

Osiris - http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/osiris

Impulz - http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/impulz

Toni_m_m

I have both Osiris and Impulz and those are awesome but mostly I use this: http://www.vision-color.com/m31/

Danialdaneshmand

Is there a way to have the "Log 8" or "S-Log" in Lightroom to work with?

DeafEyeJedi

I believe you can copy the .cubes from within MLRV and use it for other apps.

Just simply copy the files and place them into content files for LR5.

Danialdaneshmand

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on May 02, 2015, 05:56:13 PM
I believe you can copy the .cubes from within MLRV and use it for other apps.

Just simply copy the files and place them into content files for LR5.
Good idea , gotta give it a try.
By the way LR5? not CC yet? :D

DeafEyeJedi

LR 5.7 works fine for me on Mac running Yosemite. You prefer LR CC? Isn't that LR6?

What are the benefits in comparisons?

Just don't feel like paying subscription to Adobe monthly for CC... I find that INSANELY ridiculous!

Danialdaneshmand

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on May 02, 2015, 06:03:15 PM
LR 5.7 works fine for me on Mac running Yosemite. You prefer LR CC? Isn't that LR6?

What are the benefits in comparisons?

Just don't feel like paying subscription to Adobe monthly for CC... I find that INSANELY ridiculous!
If you feel that way its probably not gonna worth it, but basically now there is HDR and Panorama inside the lightroom (Raw) which eats lots of ram.
also based on your configuration real-time performance is increased (GPU-based) solved a big pain of slow 1:1 panning for pixel peeping and sped up some sliders.

Creative Cloud is good in most aspects , having Photoshop and Lightroom for 10$ a month doesn't really sound that bad.
actually it opened doors for those who are interested but not going to use 'em professionally.

DeafEyeJedi

OoOoOh trust me I've thought about jumping on the CC boat for quite some time... But with my somewhat mad Internet skills -- I'm able to get working copies literally of all the apps that I need to make my workflow actually run with older versions of Adobe. [emoji6]

But then again I'll have to sacrifice by not downloading their updates otherwise I would lose the "patch" -- one of these days when I'm settled down with my house mortgage and bills then I'll score for for the monthly subscription of CC in order to have all of their updates without any hiccups.

It's not that I refuse to pay and support the Adobe community -- I have in the past, been using their products since 2002 and in today's world out there it's almost like every now & then there's a new photographer that's willingly go shoot/snap for free just to fix up their profile (which I understand).

But it definitely kills our business and unfortunately don't make enough to get by in life without a sturdy job (which I have) but still doesn't make it any easier for most of us, right?

NitromanX

I'm with you on all that DeafEyeJedi ! ;)

I've just downloaded the Adobe Trials to see if they are any good - The Photoshop CC / Lightroom CC Bundle isn't a bad price but as soon as you stop paying you lose it. Welcome to a lifetime of debt - as if having a mortgage ain't bad enough ! lol :D

DeafEyeJedi

Did you download the smartimport2 script and use with AE along with MLVFS or not yet?

If not then try using DNG's from MLRV & then use SmartImport2 script in AE with these files instead.

Should work either way and you will still be able to use ACR...