5D Mark II on ML v2.3 doesn't work with black screen and blinking red light

Started by samotaku, April 24, 2015, 11:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samotaku

I took my camera out of my bag after a day from shooting. Turned it on and realized my 5DMKII is acting weird.

Symptoms:
1) Turns on
2) Main LCD lights up as a black/blank screen with lines running across it
3) LCD screen changes, the pattern of lines changes when I clicked on the menu or review button, so it's responsive in a way
4) Top LCD screen is unresponsive/no display no matter what I do
4) With ML card inserted, I'm unable to take photos
5) With non-ML or no cards, I can take photos (shutter works) but all the above issues remain

Tried all the usual as posted on the forums such as taking out the battery, using fully charged battery, different lenses...

I have a bunch of logs and weird photos with lines and discoloring (last photos took before this issue) saved on my CF that I can upload later when I get home.
Please help! Thank you!

Walter Schulz

Format a card using your cardreader, format again in cam and startup cam. Report results.

samotaku

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was able to format the card with a computer, inserted, able to take photos (shutter works) but all the issues still remain. When I say able to take photos: the shutter goes off but nothing is saved in the memory card, even though DCIM and 100EOS5D folders are created

I am unable to format the card in the camera, because I can't see anything on the screen (can't see what i'm doing and don't know if my input is being registered)

P.S. The guide said to try and rename a file under ML/Setting/ but I have no files in that folder?

Walter Schulz

After you formated the card you won't be able to find ML directory. Only DCIM and MISC directories might show up after inserting into cam.
Are you able to use EOS Utility after connecting computer and cam via USB?

samotaku

I have two cards, one with ML and one formatted by a computer. Let me know if there's anything else I could try.
I'm actually out of the country and did not bring my USB cable with me so I'm unable to do any tests with EOS Utility.

I could try and get one in the next few days...

Walter Schulz

Either make your non-ML card bootable using MacBoot (OS X) or EOScard (Windows, download from http://pel.hu/eoscard )
or
rename ML-cards Autoexec.bin.
Then go to http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14847.msg143795;topicseen#msg143795 and download AUTOEXEC.BIN and copy it to card. Insert into cam and close compartment door. Do you see Linux status messages on main screen?
Remove battery after this test!

Dang! Forgot g3gg0's site is down. Sent you a PM with another download link.