Working with hour long .mlv files?

Started by Probgoblin, July 13, 2020, 05:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Probgoblin

Let's start with my use case: I need to record an interview, about an hour long, uninterrupted.

I'm using a T5i (700D) with the latest Crop Rec build. I can record in RAW 720p (using the MLVLite module) for that duration, but once I move the .mlv to my computer (Windows 10) and try to convert it... it fails. I've tried MLVApp, MLVProducer, and MLVFS_x86. They can load/mount the file, but fail on export at around 1%.

Is there any option in the MLVLite module that would chunk the file into more manageable bits so I can convert just 10/15 minutes at a time? Or a way to split the file before putting it through one of the apps?

yourboylloyd

Quote from: Probgoblin on July 13, 2020, 05:43:51 PM

but once I move the .mlv to my computer (Windows 10) and try to convert it... it fails

This doesn't seem right. After 4GB, the mlv file usually splits into an .m00 file and then .m01 file and continued until the card fills up. Well at least on my 5D2 it does that. i usually have to either drag everything (mlvs and .m01 files) into MLVapp, or just make sure that all of those are in the same folder. Did you not get those files extensions after 4gb?
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

Probgoblin

I was just getting one 60-80g file.

I switched from the Crop Rec mode to the LUA fix one so I'll try that and see if it spits out 4g chunks.

Kharak

Try a different MLV converter or be sure to select all MLV's and M00, M01 etc files aswell.
once you go raw you never go back

Probgoblin

The LUA Fix branch did it. Guess the way Crop Rec is doing things isn't great.

Danne

Quote from: Probgoblin on July 20, 2020, 12:47:02 AM
The LUA Fix branch did it. Guess the way Crop Rec is doing things isn't great.
Or maybe you are doing it wrong. Format into fat32 for instance, not exfat. By the way. You're the first one having the issue.

Probgoblin

QuoteOr maybe you are doing it wrong.
Distinct possibility. The files seemed intact in that I could load them into MLVApp or another MLV processing tool, but couldn't get them out in a format that I could send into an NLE. I don't know enough about the container to tell if the issue is with the app not being happy at 100gb+ files or if I was doing something in camera that was breaking the process.

That I could get shorter files to play nice makes me think it's simply a size issue with the post-processing tools.

Also, thank you for all your work on these builds. I just got an EOS M to play around with some of stuff you've tricked that thing into doing.