Samsung NX1 - is 4K/UHD 60p a reality, or am I delusional?

Started by Johnfelipo, July 01, 2015, 06:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnfelipo

It was said in an interview that Samsung tested the NX1 at 6K 240fps (internally) for debugging, and that they just didn't bring that to market because they "couldn't see a practical use for it". If that is indeed true, they missed an opportunity to start another crazy revolution, because who wouldn't want 6K at 240fps for $1499?

Anyways, I'm becoming more and more confident this camera can actually do 4K/UHD at 60p, and need someone to tell me if this is actually doable or not. Maybe the H.265 codec will help with file sizes? It can even have a time limit (say no more than 1 min clips) and I'll still be really happy!

There's also the rumor they are testing a new version of the NX1 with more features, better low-light and 4K 60p, in which case I guess they wouldn't bring out 4K 60p as a firmware upgrade for the NX1.

So, does my request make any sense at all? Is it possible to achieve 4K 60p with the NX1? If so, I would even pay someone to add that feature, since I have no idea how to code anything at all. So if you know someone who might be up for the task, or happen to have that skill-set yourself, please let me know! Thanks!

Levas

6k at 240 fps sounds like a big RUMOR to me.
If the camera/chip was capable of doing that Samsung would definately keep that in the final product and probably sell it for double the price  ;D

Recording in 6k at 240 fps is a lot of data to move around and I doubt that there are many dedicated chips who could compress that in real time to H.264 or H.265.

furthermore I doubt that it can do even 4k at 60fps. Why should samsung leave it out, no reason to do that ?
Could be that the sensor can do it, but the videochip can't handle the big amount of data, so still not possible.

Johnfelipo

Quote from: Levas on July 01, 2015, 07:58:08 PM
6k at 240 fps sounds like a big RUMOR to me.
If the camera/chip was capable of doing that Samsung would definately keep that in the final product and probably sell it for double the price  ;D

Recording in 6k at 240 fps is a lot of data to move around and I doubt that there are many dedicated chips who could compress that in real time to H.264 or H.265.

furthermore I doubt that it can do even 4k at 60fps. Why should samsung leave it out, no reason to do that ?
Could be that the sensor can do it, but the videochip can't handle the big amount of data, so still not possible.

Definitely not a rumor, check this interview: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/09/27/photokina-interview-samsung-nx1-redefine-pro-performance-quantum-leap-tech

This part:

Is the camera actually capable of recording video at 240 frames?

JK: No.

DE: Oh, because the codec isn't fast enough to compress and format it?

JK: Actually, we just didn't implement that functionality, but the DRIMe V and the sensor could do it. When the guys in R&D were working on the Samsung Auto Shot feature, they recorded live 28 megapixel, 240 fps "video" to help with the debugging. We didn't see there being an application for that, at least for very, very few people.

So, when the camera tracks a subject in auto-focus, it does that at 240fps. I'm not sure about the SD card handling 6K @240p, but with h.265 at a low bitrate I think 4K 60p should be possible, and like I said, Samsung are already testing out a camera with that option. It's just logical, makes perfect sense and is the next step for DSLRs in my opinion.

Believe me, I also see no reason why they left it out...to me it would cause a revolution. Imagine the possibilities. I could wait for that to become a reality, should be sometime in the next year or two, but it seems like Samsung are being really open with this camera, even making the source code available online. I just need to find someone who's willing to give this a shot and see if it actually works!

Levas

Wow, if that is true, that's a hell of a sensor.

But like the interview says, the sensor could do it, and the image processor.
But that is not enough, you need to write it down to a memory card.
The interview doesn't say what the image processor is capable of by compressing a videostream to H.265.
Probably these chips are very restricted in what formats the can handle, resolution and framerate wise.
And does the image processor debayer the 240fps data stream to do focus tracking, or does it track focus with a undebayered image ?

My guess the memory card writer/reader and maybe the image processor are the bottleneck.
Otherwise I still see no reason why they didn't implement it.

Johnfelipo

I don't need 6K 240fps, that would be absurd, but I do need 4K @60fps...it doesn't even need to be a 60p file, just a 4K 24p file shooting at 60fps, which is just "over cranking" and is what they use for slow mo (in the camera today, you select 1080p 24p and then use a 0.5x for 60fps slow motion or 0.25x for 120fps, something like that). And with H.265, a fast card should be able to handle that!

I just need an idea of how hard or easy it is to do that, since the source code is available online I figured it can be done, but since I know nothing about coding, can't know for sure. I just need someone who can take a look at it and tell me if it's doable or not, and I'll even pay them to do it!

Africashot

I think the sensor and chip might be able to produce that sort of framerate, the body, card and other hardware on the other hand most likley won't be able to handle heat... there is a reason 'proper' film cameras are so big, that mainly has to do with noiseless cooling through ventilation
ML 5D2 & T3i

Levas

I have no coding skills so I can't help.
Maybe someday someone will find a way to do 4k at 60fps.
But I wouldn't wait for it, just enjoy the camera ;D

Johnfelipo

It's all good, thanks for the response guys. The day will come, I'm pretty sure it'll be this year or the next that DSLRs will shoot 4K 60p. I'm just gonna go with the Ursa Mini, it's the better camera for sure but I just love the portability of a DSLR, and how sneaky you can be with it.