Canon EOS M3

Started by Hector, February 07, 2015, 01:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hector

New video of the Canon EOS M3 shows red highlighting (a-la Magic Lantern) on the focused subject during manual focusing.
Don't have anything but high praise for the Magic Lantern team here and the amazing work you have done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43lZKt7Aw1I
at around the 2:21 mark

Brian@202020

Hector, lets hope the Magic Lantern team can do wonders with the M3. I've used Magic Lantern Canon DSLR's from time to time, but I have never owned one personally simply because I'm looking for a quality Mirrorless Magic Lantern camera. Lets hope the M3 is the camera myself and many other have been waiting for.

DeafEyeJedi

The good old EOS-M has been somewhat a deal killer with RAW/MLV (pink dots removal is a PITA) but other than that I still use ML occasionally ( still kicks a$$ even w crop-mode in h.264 -- I wish the 5D3 had this feature) in order to give my 5D3 a break (or when its higher quality is not needed)...

But yes I agree with the fact that the M3 would definitely be a game-changer with ML for the current EOS-M owners!

Any updates regarding FRSP for EOS-M or is that ever not going to be a possiblity?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

cpreston

It doesn't look to me like the M3 is a huge step up from the M1, and I love the M1.  If they had put the 7d2 sensor in the M3, I would order one at full price and have it shipped to the US even without ML available.  As it is, I think an M1 with ML is a much better option.  I primarily use the M1 for easy photos on the go, time lapse, and plant cams for events.

scottfrey

My M3 has arrived!

Knowing nothing, not even where to get started compiling, I would be willing to help get the ball rolling if someone can hold my hand on the test compile.

I would be ecstatic to just get movie restart mode, self timer and exposure bracketing working

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: scottfrey on April 03, 2015, 01:59:21 AMMy M3 has arrived!
My google-fu is weak, why was M2 never tackled in ML? No units available, time, different hardware?

Walter Schulz

M2 was an Asian-market-only product. Never hit shelfs in Europe or the Americas.
EDIT: I suppose same is for Africa.

scottfrey

QuoteM2 was an Asian-market-only product. Never hit shelfs in Europe or the Americas.
Correct. M3 OTOH, is a "whole world except North America" product. It's also easy to get ordering through Amazon.jp http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3798686 or from any Canon dealer in Europe, Australia, etc. Including Africa: http://www.canon.co.za/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_slr/eos_m3/. Just not the Americas :(

Hopefully since the M3 appears to share a significant amount of tech with the new T6i we should get somewhere.  (same sensor, same digic6 processor, similar or same touchscreen)

I'm willing to try mine as a test bed, but I don't even know where to start compiling (I'm am not a coder, never coded anything more complex than HTML)

I'm also willing to try to get funding together for buying an M3 for a dev, if a dev is willing to commit to developing for it.

(I aslo assume its a non starter until we have a downloadable firmware rev for the M3 - correct?)

godashram

Quote from: scottfrey on April 06, 2015, 04:58:27 AM
(I aslo assume its a non starter until we have a downloadable firmware rev for the M3 - correct?)

pretty much (from an experience with my T5i). Don't think the M2 ever got an update either (my M2 "SHOULD" be in once customs lets it go)
Canon T5I, EOS M2

nikfreak

Quote from: scottfrey on April 03, 2015, 01:59:21 AM
My M3 has arrived!

Knowing nothing, not even where to get started compiling, I would be willing to help get the ball rolling if someone can hold my hand on the test compile.

@a1ex would you mind sharing a firmware dumper for M3 as you did for 70D ? Single digic6 could be worth a try and I would like to have some look into the dump and check if it boots up in qemu. This way we will also know if it could work on 750D / 760D.

That said I am looking into an additional and more lightweight cam for everyday use and the eos m (or m3) with an ef-m 22stm f2 lens seems to fulfill my needs (still unsure though if the lack of a viewfinder would make me happy...)

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: nikfreak on April 18, 2015, 08:42:00 AM
That said I am looking into an additional and more lightweight cam for everyday use and the eos m (or m3) with an ef-m 22stm f2 lens seems to fulfill my needs (still unsure though if the lack of a viewfinder would make me happy...)
I'm with you on this one @nikfreak!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

350D

Hello! I've updated my EOS M to EOS M3 a week ago. How i can help with development?

nikfreak

Quote from: 350D on May 06, 2015, 04:48:43 PM
Hello! I've updated my EOS M to EOS M3 a week ago. How i can help with development?

We would need to find out if the firmware is dumpable. For this we require @a1ex to do some work and share a firmware dumper. If successful I may try to boot it up in QEMU.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

kdr500

for what it's worth i have an M3 & 7D2 and i wish the 7D2 had the M3 sensor....it's very impressive.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: kdr500 on May 20, 2015, 01:42:10 PM
for what it's worth i have an M3 & 7D2
Too bad ML does not support either... yet.  ::)

dimitri

Quote from: kdr500 on May 20, 2015, 01:42:10 PM
for what it's worth i have an M3 & 7D2 and i wish the 7D2 had the M3 sensor....it's very impressive.

I too can confirm that the sensor of M3 is impressive, but I am not sure if M3 needs Magic Lantern.

RavingRover

But like many Canon cams, the SD writer is likely a very limiting factor, at least for raw video.

The M3 is certainly a step forward, but honestly, the ML team should wait (maybe?) for the obvious very needed f/w update from Canon for the M3, it has several important issues for some, and until fixed many/some are NOT buying it.

That said, the M3 is fine for most now, just not as good as a f/w fix and ML could make it, and unlike  other makes has a nice touch screen - once you have one, hard to NOT want one for any/all cams IMO !!

350D

Guys, if you didn't known about that - very nice improvement in EOSM3: clean HDMI out! If you put your camera to manual focus to hide a focus box and switch layout mode with info button to clear the screen - you can get clean image without borders and gray frames. My setup includes hdmi2hdmi box, so, let me check it without this box today one more time just to be sure. I'm not sure about resolution too.

Oswald

Quote from: 350D on June 10, 2015, 04:18:11 PM
Guys, if you didn't known about that - very nice improvement in EOSM3: clean HDMI out! If you put your camera to manual focus to hide a focus box and switch layout mode with info button to clear the screen - you can get clean image without borders and gray frames. My setup includes hdmi2hdmi box, so, let me check it without this box today one more time just to be sure. I'm not sure about resolution too.
Hows the camera screen? Is it on or is it dark/black/without live view? :) if it is on, i'll buy some eos ms for live use. :D
7D, EOS-M & 100D.100b ΒΆ  Sigma 18-35mm, Canon 50mm F1.8, 22 STM, 8-48mm f1.0, 18-55 EF-M STM

350D

Unfortunately the screen is off. Here is a screenshot of Blackmagic capture screen with M3 connected.

cpreston

I would not expect that you are actually getting a clean HDMI out that can be recorded.  Even though you may not see overlays, it is likely that the HDMI signal is actually compressed and full of artifacts.

James600

I am falling in love with the M3 for its size and ease of use. It is packed with great features for its price and takes excellet stills. For video I have found a decent lens helps a lot but I still crave RAW! Please guys - let give the M3 some magic treatment.

max54

>:( M3 has many shortcomings such as M, no timelapse, no chance for a remote cord. All this greatly reduces its possibilities of use which would otherwise be equal or better than many DSRL

cedricb

Licaon_Kter

Wasn't the camera already perfect? :P

Hopefully this kickstarts ite