Continuous recording 5D mIII

Started by [email protected], April 14, 2015, 04:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

Hi! I was wondering if anyone knows if you can film on 5d with an external recorder, so that there is no need to be dealing with the continuous recording issues and mega-fast and expensive cards. (I can only manage to film for 14 seconds).

Thanks in advance!

vertigopix

DFM

Quote(I can only manage to film for 14 seconds).

That means you're shooting raw video, which cannot be saved externally from a 5D3. Field recorders plug into the HDMI port so they get 8-bit 4:2:2 data that's a slight step up from the internal H.264, but nowhere near the quality of RAW/MLV. It won't solve your problem of only getting 14 seconds of raw footage - for that you simply need a faster CF card - if anything it'll make it worse as turning on HDMI mirror mode increases load on the CPU.

[email protected]

Yes, sory, forgot to mention I'm trying to film on magic lantern vertigopix.

DFM, thanks for the response. I've been baging my head for a week, just can't afford the faster cards.

Walter Schulz

Take a look: Komputerbay 1066x 64GB CF-card. Around 10 minutes recording time.

vertigopix

Understood, but ML will not give you RAW through HDMI so there's no difference...

goran

Just a quick note, HDMI out from 5dmkiii is 8-bit 4:2:0 and not 4:2:2. The Atomos Ninja/Blade/Whatever will record in 4:2:2 but the signal is 4:2:0 unfortunately :(

dubzeebass