Uploading ghost images from PC

Started by basdemos, April 14, 2015, 01:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basdemos

Hello, I've found similar questions here but didn't find a conclusive answer. I'm planning to do a series of then-and-now pictures and the ghost overlay mode would be awesome for that. I have the 'then's' in .jpg on my pc but when I upload them to my xd card the camera doesn't recognise them. I've read that Magic Lantern can't do anything about it and the two suggestions that came up were this:

1. Take a photo of the photo. This would be me photographing my monitor which is kind of silly and not very reliable.
2. Take one picture in .jpg with the camera and paste the image I want to ghost on it with Photoshop. This way the EXIF will say it's a Canon picture and the camera will recognise it. Problem is that all the 'then's' are different sizes and it will be a huge job to do this for about 50 photos.

So are there any better ways to do this? I am going to try the first suggestion for now but it's far from ideal, so I hope someone comes up with something better!

Pelican

The Canon cameras don't care what is in the EXIF of the JPG file. They show even the Nikon pictures... :)
Make sure the filename is in 8.3 format and you put to the /DCIM/xxx folder (where xxx your actual picture folder)

EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

basdemos

Thanks Pelican! But the camera really does not show the original JPG's (shows "cannot play back image"). I did the trick of point 2 in my original post for this series and it worked out fine. Next time I will try to just resize the JPG's to a native resolution of my cam to see if that also works.

Pelican

Could you share a picture which the camera doesn't show?
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down