New Blackmagic Products

Started by Andy600, April 13, 2015, 06:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

So BM have done it again!

Not content with taking on the big camera manufacturers, they are now gunning for the likes of Atmos with https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicvideoassist

The Micro Studio Camera 4K and new micro Cinema Camera are impressive and will likely impact the GH4, A7s etc. Paired with the Video Assist and you have a relatively cheap (ok, dirt cheap) 4K setup.

Even for me, a Canon fan, I'm starting to think the big C are just gonna leave the prosumer level kit to the likes of BM. It's a big shame as far as Canon goes but exciting times are ahead for low budget shooters.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

arrinkiiii

Finally my camera!!! URSA Mini - 3.000$    What a price for what you get. Only my major problem is the price of CF 2.0  ...maybe with SSD attach can be more cheap =)   !!! RAW and ProRes XQ   !!! Going to buy one URSA Mini !!!

Still in LOVE for my 7D <3 

Andy600

I'm sure CF2.0 cards will drop significantly in the next 12 months now that Canon, BM and co are on board. I've long resisted the temptation to upgrade cameras (mainly because I'm more a colorist than a DP) but I'm out of excuses after seeing this lot. My only hesitation is IF someone else steals the show at NAB.

Resolve 12 has some cool new features too. I can see the shot matching button being both a godsend (for newbies) and a nightmare for colorists (who will have to fix even more things)  :D
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

arrinkiiii

Yes, i believe  that the price will go down of the CF2.0  but still...  i still "waiting" that the price of SSD go more to normal price like the HHD  lol

But damn... what a nice camera. Also the video assistant looks good, shame can't record raw, only ProRes (sd cards). Good moments for video/film people

Wish you good look for the color correction of this new cameras Andy  8)

Andy600

Thanks - I'm sure we can pull even more out of it somewhere ;)

Just checked out the new Ursa video on the product page and apart from a few color issues (personal taste), it's right up there with the Alexa - 15 stops in 4:1 compressed raw - seriously impressive stuff. Can't wait to get my hands on some footage to play with.

arrinkiiii

"it's right up there with the Alexa - 15 stops in 4:1 compressed raw"   pffffff  Amazing =D !!!  I can't wait to get one camera on my hands =DD  Thanks God for this new age =DD

Levas

Micro cinema
4K raw in a small package for 1200 euro, damn

swinxx

thanks for the information bout the new product line

all i can say is whow!! how many people are working there at blackmagic, i just installed davinci resolve 11 and now 12 is announced..
thumbs up for one great company, also fusion will go mac now!!

i really like davinci so much! it is fast and free, and soon, when fusion will be available the workflow will be top notch for sure..

greets. sw

QuickHitRecord

Imagine a camera...

Full-frame sensor
1080P raw internal recording
No moire
Great skintones
4:3 shooting mode
22MP stills
Weather-sealed magnesium alloy body
Canon EF mount
3.2" LCD screen
LP-E6 batteries
Affordable CF cards
Under 2lbs
List price of $2,500

Oh yeah, we already have it!
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

Levas

Sounds like a bad ass camera, but the tech sheet misses 4K  :P

But I guess you're right, the 5d III is the overall winner here  8)
Plus the crop mode and full-frame 2.5K mode, although with limited recording time, the options are there, hard to beat 8)

I wonder if it ever gets beaten, must be the day the Red Weapon 8K Vista Vision becomes cheaper than a 5d III...

arrinkiiii

Maybe more a few years it will be a camera with the same price and specs of 5DIII... but having raw and prores xq in camera is a great feature =)) 

dubzeebass

I don't think black magic design to deliver in any reasonable amount of time, past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior.

KelvinK

URSA mini specs/price are great. but this is still not "mini" camera, if you're indie DP it will attract too much unneeded attention at street ;) in this case, axiom form factor is more promising
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

KelvinK

6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

arrinkiiii

Extreme small =)  I think for that camera the sensor is super 16, more small but looks very nice, small and with interchangeable lens!!! Yeahhh   

Now you just need a housing for be water prof and you got a better camera than Gopro

KelvinK

well, it will have definitely better picture then gopro, but for me it's still too big if you compare it with tiny gopro, but too small for normal shooting... and for shotting you will need grip and some monitor then it will too big again and unusable for run'n'gun
probably was designed only as drone in mind and other ways of use just marketting
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

KelvinK

Quote from: arrinkiiii on April 13, 2015, 06:52:09 PM
Finally my camera!!! URSA Mini - 3.000$    What a price for what you get. Only my major problem is the price of CF 2.0  ...maybe with SSD attach can be more cheap =)   !!! RAW and ProRes XQ   !!! Going to buy one URSA Mini !!!

Still in LOVE for my 7D <3

and if you'll read it more closely, you will find 3k$ is for 12 stops, 15 stops costs 5k$ and add 1.5k$ for viewfinder, not saying about CF2.0 and 400$ to carry it with you :)
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

chmee

my experiences with blackmagic (as event-technician) are not that great, i'd cry "hooray".. their sdi-hdmi-converter freeze or auto-converts with wrong specs under some circumstances, their sdi/hdmi-audio-de-embedder as well. the only positive thing i can say, they show good ideas - but if its not good coded since the beginning, you'll never get a final good firmware, this happened a lot in the past.  so i stopped looking at bm-tech. their "new ideas " are boring me.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

arrinkiiii

emphram

When did the 5D mk iii drop so much in price? I thought it was round 5k?

Walter Schulz

Retail price USA March 2012: $3499
Retail price USA now at B+H: $2799 - 300

N/A

I recall reading about a CDng wrapper that Black Magic was designing, having the convenience of staying in the same format from start to finish is very appealing to me. I hope they still have plans for it.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Andy600

@N/A - CinemaDNG standard describes a method to wrap CDNG in an MXF container - I wonder if Blackmagic were describing that? Combined with lossless compression it certainly would be convenient.

I also wonder if this could be done with ML raw - i.e. a container swap?

As ever, it all depends on other apps supporting the format.

CinemaDNG specification 1.1: http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/cinemadng/pdfs/CinemaDNG_Format_Specification_v1_1.pdf

Frank7D

QuoteI also wonder if this could be done with ML raw - i.e. a container swap?

That's pretty much what MLVFS does.

N/A

I remember a QT/mov-style wrapper being talked about, but with FCPX adding MXF support it would be great to have either. Of course, Black Magic could always adopt the MLV container and save the trouble  8)

It seems like the specs and metadata are pretty similar for most of the raw or uncompressed video containers, so having superb quality across the major digital cinema camera lineup would all but make obsolete the headaches of getting h264 8 bit to match raw footage. But only if everyone grades with Cinelog, of course!
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?