How to use ETTR on a 60D for fotography (not video)

Started by Pauline, April 13, 2015, 12:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline

Hello,

I have a Canon EOS 60D and tried to install ML, nightly built 29.03.2015. So far so good, the installation was no problem, but I don't understand the instruction or can fiddle out how to use ETTR for photography (I don't use video-mode at all)

Mostly I use mode AV or TV and not live view.
There are several modes for ETTR:
1. Always on - I can't see any improvement in the current shot. It seems to make settings for the next shot (but that's a complete different picture) and so it's wrong
2. Auto Snap - this tries to make a second picture but the camera has been move since...
3. Set or HalfSDblClick should activate LiveView and should go back automatic and take the shot... but it doesn't do so

It would be nice if somebody could explain how ETTR needs to be configured for an automatic single-shot without liveview, with mode (AV, TV, M) in the 60D is supported?

Please excuse my poor english!

Thanks in advance
Pauline

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: Pauline on April 13, 2015, 12:04:09 PM
1. Always on - I can't see any improvement in the current shot. It seems to make settings for the next shot (but that's a complete different picture) and so it's wrong
2. Auto Snap - this tries to make a second picture but the camera has been move since...
3. Set or HalfSDblClick should activate LiveView and should go back automatic and take the shot... but it doesn't do so
You got the modes a bit mixed up, read the guide again: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5693.0

Walter Schulz

If you have dynamic scenes with different lighting you won't always be happy using Auto-ETTR.
In those cases you have to use old fashioned ETTR (or else). Check for highest exposure setting to go with (in all scenes) and adjust settings.

Dual-ISO might be helpful, too.

Pauline

I'm sorry, I don't understand both answers.

I only want to use ETTR for single-shot-photographic (I don't use video-functionality at all).

What I think it should work is:
I do my settings in AV-Mode (ISO 100, Blende 5.6) and for high dynamic ranges I get with Canon the clipping-warning and change the settings to under-exposure by 1/3 or 2/3...
So I do the change manually so that I don't get any clipping anymore. Isn't that the function ML-ETTR should do automatic in background?. In other words ML is analyzing for each shot in background the exposure (when activated) and do an exposure-correction in background so that each picture has always a correct-exposure (no clipping any more)?

At the moment I don't understand these settings:

Trigger Mode:

Always On:  AETTR is always active.  In photo mode through the viewfinder, this means that AETTR is always inspecting the exposure in the image review, and setting the exposure settings for the next shot.  In Live View, this means that AETTR is always looking at the image in the live view, and adjusting the exposure settings as necessary.
    Auto Snap:  After taking a shot, AETTR will take another shot if necessary.
    Press Set:  AETTR activates by pressing the SET button.  In photo mode through the viewfinder, AETTR will turn on live view, determine the correct exposure settings, and return to photo mode.  In live view modes, AETTR will determine the correct exposure settings.
    HalfS DblClick:  This functionality is exactly like Press Set above, except the trigger button is half pressing the shutter button twice.

It seems non of them is the correction for the exposure-correction of the current (single) shot of a photography.

Thanks in advance
Pauline

Walter Schulz

Do you want to use Liveview at all?
And you want to shoot dynamic scenes? Dynamic=changing light

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: Pauline on April 13, 2015, 12:04:09 PM
It's for the current frame, enable simplified histogram with ETTR info, look at before and after enabling ETTR as "Always ON", settings will be changed by ML once activated.

Quote from: Pauline on April 13, 2015, 12:04:09 PM2. Auto Snap - this tries to make a second picture but the camera has been move since...
IF it decides a second shot is needed THEN it makes a shot right after the one you've made, it will make it NOW, not in 5 minutes or tomorrow, so unless you stop the camera really fast it will make one.

Quote from: Pauline on April 13, 2015, 12:04:09 PM3. Set or HalfSDblClick should activate LiveView and should go back automatic and take the shot... but it doesn't do so
It should NOT take a shot by it self, that's what "Always ON" is for, it will change settings so YOU can take the shot or if you don't like what in decided, YOU change something or whatever.

Pauline

So if I understand (with my poor english) correctly,

1.) I have always to do a second pictures, where the first is for the bin. Do it use for following pictures my default settings from the beginning (when I did start) or the settings from the previous  (by ML modified) shot? In other words, I switch on my camera set exposure 6.3, ISO 100 check the time and if this is OK I use this as long as there is no big change in the lightning situation. Than I do a first shot and a second one with the corrections ML did make. Than I walk away and want to make a new picture on a new location. Does it start with exposure 6.3 ISO 100 or with the ML-settings from the previous shot?

2.) the camera is doing a second shot automatic so I don't have to move the camera untill I can hear the second click of the shutter otherwise I get something else on my picture...

3.) what I have to do to make the picture (I always would accept the settings made by ML), have I to press 'SET' again, have I to press the 'Auslöser' (I don't know the english word for, sorry)

Thanks again and sorry for my stupiquestions
Pauline

Audionut

With liveview the camera can see the exposure.  1 shot is possible.

If no liveview, camera cannot see exposure.  Must take atleast 1 shot just to know correct settings.

garry23

@ Pauline

I have posted a few times on ML ETTR, eg http://photography.grayheron.net/2013/10/latest-experiments-with-magic-lantern.html

Some of my personal notes may help you.

BTW you don't need to be in LV. I use the SET option and in normal, non-LV mode, simply press SET, ML then takes the camera into LV to get the ETTR and then back into non-LV mode for shooting, all without capturing an image on your card.

Like you I don't do video.

vertigopix

Hi Pauline and welcome here ! It's a pleasure to see a woman in this forum.

There are no stupid questions...  ;)

- Put your camera to M and manual ISO.
- Enable ETTR and set it to SET trigger. (i prefer HalfS DblClick)
- Compose your scene and press SET (or HalfS DblClick) WHILE pointing your scene.
- The camera go to liveview and do AETTR.
- When the camera return to viewfinder view take your picture.

That's all !

Pauline

Thanks,
with HalfS DblClick it works now. My mistake in my previous tests was that I did straight away turn the camera to see what's in the liveview on the screen and didn't know the procdure how it works and didn't know that I have only to wait untill the viewfinder is back .
Now I kept the camera in position  and did the picture after the viewfinder was back.

It doesn't work this way with the SET-button. This shows only one or two little I call it arrows or vertical bars in the viewfinder, but nothing is happens.

Kind regards
Pauline

garry23

@Pauline

I can assure you SET works in LV and outside of LV.

Play around a bit more :-)

a1ex

If SET does not work, it might be configured to do something else (either in Canon menu, or some other ML feature that uses the same button).

Pauline

Many thanks to all for your great and very quick help!

I found the reason: I have had another function configured for the SET-key in the Canon-menu called 'level' and that's why nothing was happens (only these bars in the view-finder)

Now both methods (SET and  HalfS DblClick) are working.

My major problem at all was that I didn't wait for the automatic return to the viewfinder and did turn the camera to see what's on the screen, pressed the SET-button again and again...

Kind regards
Pauline