Compiling in the Cloud

Started by garry23, April 12, 2015, 05:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Looking good with its progress @Danne! [emoji108]

Now I'm tempted to get back on this boat and try to learn & compile in the cloud.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

garry23

@DeafEyeJedi

Having successfully tweaked the DoF code to account for diffraction and demonstrated it worked via 'compiling in the cloud', I'm going to wait a bit until one of the ML gurus tells me the make zip addresses all modules, ie Dual-ISO in particular.

Licaon_Kter

I've pointed it before, regarding dual_iso, @garry23, can't you do this since you don't need cr2hdr built anyway?

garry23

@Licaon_Kter

Maybe I'm being thick, however, with the 'compile in the cloud' approach, I didn't think you could build a FULL version, ie when I try Dual-ISO fails at the moment.

I can compile a partial build, but it will be missing the Dual.

Or am I being thick?

Licaon_Kter

Does in build if you comment out what I've pointed?
The FULL ML does not have or need a Linux binary for cr2hdr ( which that line builds and what make zip DOES NOT package anyway ).

Or maybe I don't understand what you mean by FULL? Autoexec + modules + ( others like fonts/cropmarks ) ? Or?

garry23

OK let me ask another way.

Have you built a full ML package for your camera, using the compile in the cloud, AND with the dual-ISO module in place and useable?

If you have, how?

Danne

I did make on the dual_iso folder and it created the dual_iso.mo

cd magic-lantern/modules/dual_iso

make

Should this .mo work? Can,t try right now, no camera available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixOzE1VhKnw

garry23

So is it 'only' necessary to grab the compiled module and add it to the module folder, or is more needed than this.

Danne

I don,t know. Only started today. I plan on trying the adtg_gui.mo tomorrow.

Did you try Licaon_Kter,s suggestion?

Danne

Just exported make clean && make && make all_modules && cd platform/EOSM.202 && make zip

After following Licaon_Kter suggestion. When finding the magic lantern nightly all files seems to be there in modules folder. Including dual_iso.mo.
Didn,t try without removing the lines as suggested but might work without that too.

DOn,t take my advice too seriously. I am very green in this area.

update*

Skipping make clean worked here.

make all_modules && cd platform/5D3.113 && make zip

Seemed to include the make done before exporting with zip.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: Danne on April 22, 2015, 09:03:52 PM
Skipping make clean worked here.
make clean is just a way to ensure a top down build verification, say if you modify something and it brakes something else somewhere that way you might track it instead of it just being unstable or something.

Quote from: garry23 on April 22, 2015, 08:10:56 PM
Have you built a full ML package for your camera, using the compile in the cloud, AND with the dual-ISO module in place and useable?
No, I use my main Linux box or with the VirtualBox image found around here, they both work since they have what's needed (multi-arch).

On the other hand I really don't see what your issue is actually, what is keeping you to edit that file and recompile ML?
The module will be in the ZIP file if it's built, the error (the one about cr2hdr) does not matter for you anyway since you don't process your dual-iso files in Linux but it matters since it blocks the module build. The idea (I guess) is that if you use the dual-iso module you need cr2hdr but in the mean time you use Windows or Mac so it's useless. This needs some patch to be separated somehow.

Or forget about it

garry23

In my ignorance I thought that if I just replaced the missing dual modual, some of the other files may not be built correctly.

So my question is, if I'm changing the lens.c and everything else is the same. Can I simply copy across the missing dual module, say from the nightlies?

Licaon_Kter

The latest nightly is now at commit e08c6c0
If you pull/update the source now, ( re-add your modifications? ), compile your version then it's safe to use it from the nightly.
If you use a different version of the source code then you might have issues.

DeafEyeJedi

@Danne -- if you want I can test this dual iso module that you created real quick for you on the 5D3 if needed to?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

It, s ok. I, m gonna try the adtg_gui. Gonna read and try some things more thoroughly first. As for know I dont think I get the adtg module when running make clean. Gonna try a 500D at work first.

garry23

All

The first thing I did when I got home was to follow your advice regarding the make files and success!

I now have a full version of the nightly with my DoF tweak in it.

The Dual ISO modules is there and works.

Many thanks for your help and perseverance with me :-)

BTW also created an IR version for my IR converted 50D.