Why is the Audio menu screen blank on my 5D Mkiii?

Started by adrefs, April 10, 2015, 10:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrefs

I just bought a 5D Mkiii and downloaded the latest ML version for it but when I go to the Audio settings screen all that I have is Speaker Volume and Beeps...nothing else.  There was a whole page of functions on my 5D Mkii and now nothing with the Mkiii, where did they go?

Walter Schulz

adrefs

That's funny, then why did I have an entire screen of audio controls on my 5D Mkii and the manual shows the same thing?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/img/screenshots/menu_audio.png

Walter Schulz

adrefs

What are you talking about?  There's nothing in the Canon menu that even comes close to the functionality of the ML menu.  All that Canon offers is Auto, Man or off and then a very basic gain control, which I have set (as with the Mkii) to one click above zero.  All the rest of the audio functions were controlled via the ML menu.

dmilligan

If you feel the need for missing audio functionality, feel free to port it.

adrefs

Wow, this is great!  The first guy tells me that all of the stuff shown in the ML menu for audio really doesn't exist and now you tell me to go make it myself.  Is there anyone else out there viewing this that might actually have a helpful suggestion as to how I can get the rest of the ML Audio menu to show up on my camera?

adrefs

So according to Hero members Shultz and Milligan the only thing that I should expect to find on the entire ML Audio menu screen is the volume control for the speaker on the 5D Mk3? Am I understanding this correctly?  My confusion here is based on two factors: the image of the back of the 5D Mk3 on the top of the ML homepage that shows the mysterious functions I'm looking for (someone ought to inform ML that these controls don't exist), and the second is that I am at a loss to find a single one of these controls in any Canon menu; AGC, digital gain, headphone volume control etc.  Again, I'm not looking for any "missing" functionality, just what the photo of the 5D Mk3 and the user guide indicates OUGHT TO BE THERE.  If this somehow no longer exists then perhaps someone could show me where I might find the "Canon user interface" that does have all of these functions and that the ML folks don't want to have to duplicate (even though it appears that they already have!).  Please forgive my sarcastic tone here but this has become a very frustrating experience for what I thought was a simple question, and to be told that what I am looking at on the home ML page, on an identical camera no less, doesn't exist on my camera is exasperating to say the least.

adrefs

So here's what I have to deal with:

This is apparently what the Audio menu is supposed to look like

And here's what mine looks like.  So how do I get mine to look like the other one?

dmilligan

You can't. There's nothing you can do to see anything different. What you see is what you are supposed to see. This project is in active development and things change, photos on the homepage do not necessarily reflect the latest development. This is a hobby project that we just do for fun. Things like making sure the website is always exactly correct just doesn't always happen.

ACG off is the same thing as setting audio in the Canon menu to manual mode. Digital gain is pointless. Headphone controls and other things may or may not be ported to this camera (in other words, if you want them, you need to write the code to make them work, b/c currently such code does not exist). Sometimes things were there and then removed b/c they were found to not be working in the first place, or the potential cause of other issues. The ML menu already has too many options and settings, so sometimes things are removed to simply make the menu less cluttered and confusing.

The image on the homepage is simulated. Screenshots of ML (really old version btw, I don't think that stuff you are referring to on the homepage has been updated in ~3 years), are mixed onto a photo of a camera. They weren't necessarily made with camera. If you feel like this is misleading, feel free to download the html for the website, fix it and submit it to moderators. I think the original intention was not show exactly what ML looks like on the 5D3, but to just give a general overview of what ML looks like on all cameras. The 5D3 body was simply chosen as being the background.

If you want to know what features are actually available on which specific cameras please refer to https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features It it always current as it automatically updated from the source code. If there's some particular feature not available, you can rest assured that there is probably a good reason.

adrefs

While I appreciate the detailed reply I do not appreciate the assertion that IF I feel the site is misleading then it is up to me to change it.  How could I (or anyone else for that matter) NOT find the site misleading?  The top of the homepage has a photo of a 5D Mk3 with all of the audio controls, it then goes on to describe those controls
>Analog / digital gain adjustments.
>Selectable input source.
>Toggle wind filter.
>Live audio monitoring through with headphones.
>WAV recording.
>Beep / test tones.

At the bottom of the home page it shows all the Supported Cameras:

5D2, 5D3, 6D, 7D, 50D, 60D, 500D/T1i, 550D/T2i, 600D/T3i, 650D/T4i, 700D/T5i, 1100D/T3, EOS M

In progress:

70D

Inactive ports (help welcome):

5D classic (old version available)

40D, 100D/SL1 (not working at all)

Then, switching to the "Features" page the exact same menu screen and list of great audio features is displayed. 

...Continuing on; the very top line of the User Guide shows the following: Features

Audio: disable AGC, audio meters, manual audio controls, selectable input source (internal, internal+external, external stereo, balanced), audio monitoring via A/V cable.

Furthermore when I select "Analog gain" in the far righthand column of the user guide I get the following:

Analog Gain (dB)
Gain applied to both inputs in the analog domain. If you use an external preamp, set this parameter as low as possible; otherwise, set it as high as possible without clipping (audio meters should be green).  I AM using an external pre-amp, hence my desire for this control.

In that same section it states: This menu is not available on Canon 600D / T3i. - Why no mention of the 5D Mk3 here (or anywhere else for that matter)?

So in every possible location that I could find on the ML site it shows that all of these audio controls exist and yet it is me that is somehow at fault for expecting to actually make use of them as I have for years? And since I now feel mislead it's ME that needs to fix the site because regardless of what I actually do see on page after page it does not in any way reflect what I'm "supposed to see"?  How does that make sense and why is the onus upon me?  I realize that this is a hobby for all of the contributors, and I am thankful for being able to make use of the software, but to allow this many glaring inaccuracies is very surprising and frustrating.   

Licaon_Kter

Walter Schulz

Have to admin he has a point. We can do better.
Big Q: adrefs, are you willing to help getting rid of outdated/misleading data?
Creating something like "ML 101"?

Licaon_Kter

Both the front page and the Features pages need a big coloured warning saying:
"Per camera available features may vary, for up to date information see: https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features"

a1ex

Quote from: a1ex on March 19, 2018, 12:25:53 AM
Quote from: dmilligan on April 11, 2015, 06:37:29 PM
[...] photos on the homepage do not necessarily reflect the latest development.
Solved. Sorry it took so long - have fun browsing the menus on the home page :)

Now the screenshots can be auto-updated every time a new build arrives.

Continued here: Menu screenshots on the homepage.