Methods for Flattening DNG Sequences

Started by stopherlew, April 09, 2015, 05:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopherlew

Hello,

First time posting on here and I'm really hoping I can get some advice or questions answered.

I've been shooting RAW on my 5D Mark III on and off and originally used the following method: Convert ML files through RAW Magic, DNG sequences into AE, flatten out the images in ACR then export as Pro Res files. This method used to work flawlessly for me on After Effects CS5.5 for MAC. However after I updated to CC, apparently it came with a new ACR that very annoyingly smart detects changes in contrast within the sequence and automatically adjusts the brightness of frames resulting in a flicker when playing back. I've scoured the internet trying to find a solution to this and have found nothing. Has anyone found a work around? If not, what method works best for you?

The few options I've tried have worked ok but nothing compared to the beautiful flatness I used to achieve in ACR.

If anyone has tips, solutions or advice you'd be helping me out more than you could ever know.

Thanks,
Chris

DFM

Process Version 2012 in Camera Raw has histogram-adaptive sliders for the tone controls (whites/highlights/shadows/blacks/clarity), so you must NOT use them on image sequences as the watershed between each section will change from frame to frame, causing flicker in the video. Exposure and Contrast are OK, as is the Tone Curve panel.

You could switch back to PV2010 if you really need to, but luma/chroma adjustments are best done with native AE effects (just make sure you're working in a 16 or 32-bit comp). Reserve the ACR interface for things like lens corrections, camera profile calibrations and some light-touch noise removal.

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

DeafEyeJedi

@Andy600's Cinelog-C ACR pack as well as other bundle package is a MUST have!!!

It works really well and once you get the hang of its workflow -- it's rather easy and remarkable!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109