Do you still shoot in (single ISO) RAW after setting up Dual ISO?

Started by LU72, April 05, 2015, 02:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LU72

Here's a question for those of you who have properly set up your cameras with ML and are now able to shoot/process Dual ISO shots: Do you still shoot in (one ISO) RAW? If so, for what reasons/situations?
600D (T3i), Vivitar Battery Grip, Sigma 17-70C, Canon 10-18 EF-S, Canon 1.8 50mm STM II, Sigma 70-300 APO, Speedlite 430 exII

Walter Schulz

All situations not requiring Dual-ISO: Static scenes. Maybe it's only me (I doubt) but in static enviroments I prefer not to use Dual-ISO. Architecture, landscape. Shutter wear: I don't really care.

chmee

of course i shot most of the time in Non-Dual-Iso. because its faster on pc later on. therefore i like the linuxidea inside the body for converting while body is in standby.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

LU72

Okay, Iooks like the concern would be with action shots. I rarely shoot action shots or shots that I'd be worried about having ghosting show up, so it looks like for me, I'll continue exploring dual ISO in post processing. I've shot a few scenes and portraits and have already seen less noise than some similar RAW shots in post (I've been shooting RAW for a while now).

I have noticed some interesting differences when zooming in during post. With RAW, a lot of the nosie looks like grains, whereas the dual ISO images tend to have what look like hairs. I don't know if this is some sort of result due tothe interpolation of both "layers" but it looks like this helps the images look more natural in post. Good stuff, thankful for this added "feature" in my DSLR.

EDIT: garry23 - Nice article, brings up a few things to consider that I'll be looking into, thanks!
600D (T3i), Vivitar Battery Grip, Sigma 17-70C, Canon 10-18 EF-S, Canon 1.8 50mm STM II, Sigma 70-300 APO, Speedlite 430 exII

Audionut

Ghosting isn't an issue.  This is one of the benefits of dual ISO over bracketing.

Price to pay
- Half resolution in highlights and shadows
- Aliasing and moire - of course, in highlights and shadows
- You can no longer check critical focus when zooming in

SamoMalo404

I prefer in all situations Dual-ISO, specially at night scenes.

chmee

just made some photos yesterday for a german photographic forum.

1 - Chroma Artifacts

DualISO_1_ChromaArtifacts by phreekz.chmee

Bild 2 - Resolution

DualISO_2_Resolution by phreekz.chmee

Bild 3 - The Reason, why you should know about DualISO :)

DualISO_3_DynamicRange by phreekz.chmee

regards chmee

Audionut

It struggled on those magazine edges.  That scene doesn't look like one with an large DR though. 
If you're using dual ISO on a low DR scene, and ETTR (pushing midtones into highlights) then this should be expected. 
With true high DR scenes, the top stops are mostly white, so the resolution isn't as big an issue as that image could make one believe.
http://dpanswers.com/content/tech_zonesystem.php#zs

Nice examples.

chmee

@audionut
thats why its a bad idea to enable Dual ISO by default. in the german forum i wrote, that those problems can occur, just had to show them.

a1ex

chmee

LU72

Those are great examples of when to stick with RAW and when to use Dual ISO! Thanks for posting these up, chmee.

Does ML have a way to shoot a Dual ISO image followed by a RAW (or vise versa)?

LU72

Cool, how!? I checked the User Guide and couldn't find it (besides turning off Dual ISO and then taking another shot).

I'm one of those "teach them to fish" people too, so while I appreciate the brief "yes" response, prompting me to find out how on my own (also searched the Dual ISO thread) I just couldn't find out how to set ML to take one RAW shot, followed by a Dual ISO (like a "RAW+Dual ISO" command). I've done some searching over the last couple of days and just can't find this feature.

garry23

It's under the Dual Menu.

Go into the menu options and it's there.

Cheers

Audionut

With the menu options, at the bottom of the screen is one or two lines of help text.

LU72

Thanks. The feature is called "Alternate Frames Only" (for other n00bs like myself who might be reading).

It means essentially that "Dual ISO" will work in alternating frames (and it also means you have to snap the picture twice). Not quite what I was looking for, but I can see how this could be a useful feature for certain situations.