Need Advice on Nightly Builds for 600D (t3i)

Started by CountJack, April 02, 2015, 01:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountJack

The other day, I tried out the most recent nightly build for my camera (a 600D/ Canon t3i). It was the first time I tried a nightly build and at first everything was fine. We filmed for over an hour with no incident.

However, the next day, we were filming for about 15 min. when suddenly the camera went to a BLUE SCREEN. The screen said something about DIGIC and taking a photo of a calender? So we tried the next most recent build. The same problem occurred.

We can't seem to reliably replicate the crash. Sometimes it happens when filming, other times when adjusting Magic Lantern settings.

Eventually we went back to the last stable build (v2.3) and everything works fine again.

Did anyone else have this problem and can you give any advice on which nightly builds do NOT cause this blue screen crash as we really want to be able to use the improved audio controls.

Walter Schulz

Install latest nightly again and set cam's date to 01.04.: You will have some problems while not recording ...
Set any other date: No fooling around ...

CountJack

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 02, 2015, 01:48:23 PM
Install latest nightly again and set cam's date to 01.04.: You will have some problems while not recording ...
Set any other date: No fooling around ...

Just a make sure, you're advising I set the camera's date to January 4th, 2015?

Walter Schulz

Sorry, forgot to specify date format. I meant yesterday.

CountJack

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 02, 2015, 02:12:16 PM
Sorry, forgot to specify date format. I meant yesterday.

Ah ok. Out of curiosity why would the date matter?

Walter Schulz

Because
joke_mode = (now.tm_mday == 1 && now.tm_mon == 3);

CountJack

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 02, 2015, 02:37:47 PM
Because
joke_mode = (now.tm_mday == 1 && now.tm_mon == 3);

Ok so basically April Fool's

CountJack

dmilligan

Quote from: g3gg0 on April 02, 2015, 10:01:52 AM
so a warning to everyone being pranked yesterday:
you are not prepared for serious shooting with magic lantern, if this was a real problem to you.

why?
if you use ML for business make sure a failure, no matter if serious issues or not so serious (like yesterday) wont get you in trouble!
- take ML-free backup-cards with you
- make yourself confident with rescue procedures and how to temporary disable ML
- ML, especially "latest" versions can introduce troublesome behavior

yes, its cool that ML is being used in a lot of serious stuff. we really love that.
but we expect users to be prepared for the moment when ML is going nuts for some reason.
this day will come.