ETTR Sunrise, Shutter Speed Locked?

Started by NickRRood, March 27, 2015, 05:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickRRood

Hey guys!

So I'm very new to this ML world, but have been doing time lapse videos for some time now as a hobby. I just recently decided to spend more time and effort with them. So naturally I began researching a variety of methods to achieve the best looking time lapse video.

Fast forward to yesterday, I was experimenting with the Auto ETTR feature and built in Intervelometer/Deflicker module. With ETTR turned on (and intervelometer off), I tried taking a few photos and it seemed to be working just fine. I'd aim it at a brighter source and it would beep twice, adjust the shutter, and correct it with the next photo. Then I'd switch to a darker source, it would take a couple photos, readjust, then settle. Great.

So I had it all set up to do a sunrise time lapse this morning. Got up at 5am, set my intervals to 15 seconds since my max shutter was 10 seconds, and made sure ETTR was set to Always On (this was a ridiculous mistake I made the day before). Did a few test photos and they looked good. So I set it to go, watched a few of them (seemed to be working just fine - histogram and settled ETTR looked good) and went back to bed. Get up a few hours later, the sun is out, and for some reason the camera is still doing 10 second exposures! I'm 100% assuming I did something wrong, as this software is very new to me.  But does anyone know what it could be?

I'm doing another one now (mid day), because I know the area I have the camera pointed at will get significantly brighter, so in theory the shutter should start moving quite a bit quicker. Won't be able to test much in the way of deflicker, but at least I'll be able to tell if the ETTR is working.

Anyway, I've been reading through forums until my head hurts, so I figured I'd lob the question out there and see what you think!

Thanks!

a1ex

I remember a similar bug from a while ago - for some reason, at certain exposure settings, raw image data clipped at some lower level than usual, and this confused ETTR (so it believed there's no overexposure at all).

Can you upload some overexposed CR2 files to check if this is the case?

(not sure what else could be, but if you find out how to reproduce it, would help)

NickRRood

Unfortunately those overexposed photos are long gone. I'm going to give the sunset a shot tonight though and will report back.

My mid day test wasn't very helpful, there just wasn't enough change in light to really tell if it was working.  The shutter did change from 1/1600 to 1/2500, which in itself was odd considering it appeared to be getting lighter out. But again, it was not a good test.

Part of me wondered if this was just a bug. Anyway, I just have to be patient until tonight!

Thanks for the help thus far...