Greyscale Preview

Started by Brillopad, April 03, 2015, 03:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brillopad

Would it be possible to link a greyscale preview to an otherwise unused button for quick reference (or add it to the list of features for which the buttons are customisable)?  That would be very useful for me!

N/A

I had the same request a while back, and I found that a good solution is to set up 2 liveview display presets, one with Greyscale on and the other with Canon preview on. Switch back and forth with the info button (or whatever the instructions say for your model). Works nicely in 5x when trying to frame a shot at higher resolutions.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Audionut

I'm pretty sure you can half press the shutter button.

reddeercity

Yes that right, at least for 5d2

Brillopad

I'm using a Canon 550D >> pressing the half-shutter button just replaces the ML overlays with my default cannon overlays.  How would I set up 2 Liveview display presets (retaining the ML overlays on both)?

At present, the only way I've found to change to greyscale is to use either Focus Peaking or LV Desaturation, but both require using the menu, so it's not the quickest of solutions for preview purposes.  I've searched the User Guide and forums for a workaround but not found one, so apologies if this has been touched on elsewhere >> setting up LV presets doesn't seem to be working as setting greyscale in one seems to apply it to all of them.

N/A

Yeah you have to disable Global Draw in one of the presets for Greyscale to not show up. Your request is to be able to toggle Greyscale on and off while keeping all other display items the same, correct? Half pressing the shutter displays the ML Color preview instead of Canon preview.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Brillopad

So is it not possible to toggle Greyscale whilst retaining the other display items (Focus Peaking, Zebras etc.)?  If I understand you correctly, the only way to quickly switch to and from greyscale and colour is by disabling Global Draw in one of the presets, which means I lose everything else in the process.  Half pressing the shutter on my 550D doesn't do anything besides bring up the standard Canon screen display (exp, f stop etc.) at the bottom of the screen.

I wish to work predominantly in colour, with Focus Peaking, Zebras etc., but also be able to quickly switch to Greyscale for preview purposes whilst retaining all these features >> thus far, no combination of settings seems to be doing this for me.

Audionut

Looks like LV Display Presets doesn't extend to the greyscale option in focus peaking.