Does Tescam DR 60d MKII allow safe rec with pantom power? I must sell my Zoom H6

Started by Brawl, March 18, 2015, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brawl

Hello guys, can you help me to understand better this feature about the Tescam DR60dMKII please?

There should be an option to have a backup file recorded at minus decibel to prevent clipping. On Tescam wesite they wrote: DUAL MONO and DUAL STEREO modeļ¼šRecords a back-up safety track in case levels are set too high and clipping occurs. The safety track can be set to record from -6dB to -12dB below the initial take. If an actor suddenly screams a line, you have a backup recording that isn't distorted.

source: http://tascam.com/product/dr-60dmkii/

Does this feature works also with phantom power mics (for example rode ntg3)? thx so much. :)

I ask this because for example my Zoom H6 does not have this safe rec option for external phantom power mics. Zoom H6 have this option only with the module EXH6 (sold separately). the problem is this. surprice: the module EXH6 does not allow phantom power.... So this recorder is useless if you use a phantom power mic with actors that can scream (so in my case is useless and I must sell my Zoom H6 and buy the tescam, if the safe rec works with phantom power).

http://www.amazon.it/EXH-6-Doppio-ingresso-Combo-Zoom/dp/B00TB297WU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1426670829&sr=8-10&keywords=zoom+h6

I'm really in worry with Zoom, I also wrote to the company (an email) they said it's like I said: I can not have a backup rec to minus db with this device if I use a phantom power mic also with the EXH6 module. I wish to do not sell my Zoom H6 but unfortunatelly I have not enough money for both (zoom and tescam). I asked them for a firmware update they said:

To enable them, it is necessary to load more expensive CPU onto the unit. Anyway your opinion has been noted. Although we do not want a price boost by the increase in functions, we will forward your email to the development team for future reference.

So if you want to take audio for cinema or theatre/any actor performance, and you want to use a phantom power professional mic, do not buy Zoom H6. Unless you can ask to your actors to be quiet.

Brawl

Thanks for your suggestion Walter. Do you have experienced those Y cables? doesn't it introduce more noise?

thx a lot.