Canon 60D

Started by Audionut, March 16, 2015, 04:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jai554

Quote from: dfort on April 24, 2018, 04:50:26 PM
@jai554 - Could you please post the "lens = table:" block from the log file using the Tamron lens you used to make this screenshot?

sorry for the late  :D
here you go
lens = table:
  name = "17-50mm"
  focal_length = 18
  focus_distance = 570
  hyperfocal = 2167
  dof_near = 462
  dof_far = 748
  af = true
  af_mode = 0
  focus = function: p
  autofocus = function: p

dfort

@jai554 - looks good. Have you tried running just the lens focus test by itself? Review Reply #116 for instructions. If that passes, run test_camera_exposure and test_movie so we can see if it passes those tests. Some cameras seem to have a hard time running all of the tests in one run yet they can pass each test when run individually.

jai554

Quote from: dfort on May 15, 2018, 05:36:27 AM
@jai554 - looks good. Have you tried running just the lens focus test by itself? Review Reply #116 for instructions. If that passes, run test_camera_exposure and test_movie so we can see if it passes those tests. Some cameras seem to have a hard time running all of the tests in one run yet they can pass each test when run individually.

yes it passes all tests except test_lens_focus

dfort

The 17-50mm Tamron lens might be one of the lenses that isn't passing the focus test. Refer to the
lua test_lens_focus() topic for some other lens/camera combinations that aren't passing the test.

Something you can do if you want to help figure out exactly where the test is failing is to add some printf statements to the lua script like saulbass did on the 650D for the movie test.

As far as the firmware update, it does look like all the issues that have turned up on 1.1.2 are also on 1.1.1 so (in my opinion) it should be ready to merge. Here is a list of the various firmware updates in progress.

Rotten_Lens

Hi,

i have already installed the 1.0.3 Firmware. What should i do, to install ML?

Audionut

Follow the steps outlined in the first post of this thread.

mmnb

Hello Lantern Corps,
Trying to get ML setup on my 60Da (1.1.1) with a 64 GB SCT Card.  Watched several videos (varying degrees of credibility) and read this thread plus other websites.  Should be pretty easy so I must be doing something stupid.

My understanding: I need to use macboot since card size is > 32GB (something to do with filesystem...don't quite understand 64GB limitation).

1. Didn't format card.
2. Successfully installed macboot and prepared 64GB card with bootable flag.
3. Downloaded nightly (magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul03.60D111) and copied ML files tree to card root (autoexec.bin, ML-SETUP.FIR, ML/*)

From videos it looks like putting card in camera and press garbage can should go to ML.  Does not.

Is it as simple as the first post in the thread? I.e. Format card in camera, copy files to root, click "Firmware" in menu to upgrade?   If I do that, do I need to worry about the bootable flag being set?  Is there any special concern about 64GB cards?

Many thanks for your help.

Walter Schulz

Forget that outdated info.

Follow instructions in post 1 or go to top of page -> User Guide -> Install Guide

mmnb

Worked like a charm.  Many thanks for the help.  Was just a little hesitant given the minor conflicts in instructions over the last few years.

liquidia

Anyone here could tell me if there is any improvement since 2014 as far as raw capabilities of 60D? in terms of countineus shooting resolution and other features? i could not find any detail /change log regarding improvements.

Thanks

andrewmurray86

Hey all.

I am wondering if someone might point me to some information on how best to use gradual exposure?

Is it somewhat automatic? Does it step in both directions or only up/down? Can you get it to go both ways?

For example if you were to film 24hrs you would need to have the EV go up and down with the light conditions.

I have tried searching the forums and the web but found very little.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.
ἡγιασμένον

andrewmurray86

Another question if I may,

Does anyone have experience recording RAW video with the 60D?

Is it possible to do so and for how long? The preference would be to do so via the HDMI port so as to extend the recording tine and the write speed however reading up gives me the impression this is not possible?

Perhaps a swath of large capacity high write speed SD cards?

Does anyone have some advice?
ἡγιασμένον

nodymoha

Is there anyway to enable lossless compression in 12 Bit raw video?

Walter Schulz

60D main processor is DIGIC 4 and therefore not able to use it. Reddeercity is working on porting this feature set to D4. See here.
Don't hold your breath waiting to make it into 60D. Nobody around owning a 60D working on it.

If you are into RAW recording on Canon bodies you might want to take a look into 100D. Just under 200€ for a cam in mint condition. Yes, no swivel display and battery life sucks IMO. But memory interface good for about 40 MByte/s (without overclocking) ...

adathomp

I know this is somewhat of a dead thread but I was hoping I could get some assistance. My 60D with 1.1.1 nightly build from July 3rd keeps booting off my video recording. It'll record for no more than 4 seconds before it says "movie recording has been stopped automatically."
The kicker is, I can record longer footage using the MLV recording. I've been using this same class 10 64gb card for a few years and have had numerous videos exceeding 10 minutes in length(not MLV). I've cleared all the buffers, ram, rom, done a couple of low level reformats, disabled modules, disabled anything that might get in the way of recording but it still tops out at 4 seconds. I would record in MLV regularly but 6 seconds in MLV is hardly more helpful than 4 seconds in h264.
Its a sudden issue. I recorded some timelapses the other day using the autoexposure module and wondered if maybe I just exhausted my SD card or something? I'm at my wits end and really wish I could just record a 60 second video without infuriating me beyond belief.

This camera has been used and abused over the years but its reliability has kept it in my camera bag, I even did a shutter replacement by myself a few years back. I'm worried it hit its limits.

Walter Schulz

Before going into analysis: May I suggest to get another card and retry? 60D's limit is about 25 MByte/s (without overclocking) and such cards are affordable. Get your pick from cameramemoryspeed.com -> Reviews -> SD-cards and Micro SD-cards or any other reliable source offering write rate benchmarks.

adathomp

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 09, 2019, 04:42:42 PM
Before going into analysis: May I suggest to get another card and retry? 60D's limit is about 25 MByte/s (without overclocking) and such cards are affordable. Get your pick from cameramemoryspeed.com -> Reviews -> SD-cards and Micro SD-cards or any other reliable source offering write rate benchmarks.

I tried another class 10 card that I have, exact same behavior; just under 4 seconds of footage. I tried MLV recording and got up to 7 seconds of footage(170 frames) before it skipped and stopped. It doesn't make any sense to me. Short of a factory reset/reinstall of ML, I'm not sure what to do next.

I thought I would include some details in case it says something I'm not seeing.
Free memory 322k + 1509k

• allocated ram 401kb, peak 712kb
  • malloc 322kb, 138kb used
  • allocatedmemory 1.5mb, 264kb used
  • shoot_malloc 32mb, 0 used
  • shoot space 502kb
  • shoot contig 31mb, (sets to 0 then back to 31 every 15 seconds)
  • shoot total 187mb, (same behavior as shoot contig)
  • srm job total 6x31mb
  • autoexec.bin 512kb of 1.5mb
image buffers 720x480, 1056x704
shutter count 173k = 157800+15135
internal temp 44c, 111F, 172 raw
battery level 100% (fails to recognize battery, problem started after rebuilding the camera)

Walter Schulz

Module tab -> bench.mo OK -> Restart (photo mode) -> Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card Benchmarks -> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min).
Open card's root directory and convert bench0.ppm to png or jpeg. Upload it to a file/pic like picload.org and link image here.

And retry H.264 recording with Global Draw OFF.

jagsfan84

does anybody have the autoexe.bin file that allows you to clear all settings for a 60d that has the err 70 and only boots when you have the dial on "C"? 

ASSERT: FALSE
at DevelopCombination.c:108, task RscMgr
lv:0 mode:0

RscMgr stack: 115e68 [115f90-114f90]
0xUNKNOWN  @ ff07b8cc:115f88
0xUNKNOWN  @ ff1dcb80:115f60
0xFF1DC5DC @ ff02c3fc:115f28
0xUNKNOWN  @ ff1dc60c:115f18
0xUNKNOWN  @ ff1dc694:115ef8
0xFF0CAE58 @ ff0c9858:115ec0
0xFF013EC0 @ ff0caf18:115ea0
0x1FE00378 @ 1fe006d8:115e68

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2018Jul03.60D111
Mercurial changeset   : 7a3b5fa3f4c6 (unified) tip
Built on 2018-07-02 22:19:47 UTC by jenkins@nightly.
Free Memory  : 392K + 1920K

*****a1ex took care of me!*****

domo94

Does the 60d have the automatic recording restart feature with ML?

If it does, does the dual pixel AF work with this camera and ML as well?

Walter Schulz

Automatic restart works with 60D.
But there is no DPAF inside 60D! The only ML supported camera with DPAF is 70D.

BaRe

Hi, recently bought a used version, I wanted to know if by chance there is a workaround to remote control it like the 70D does via the app? I know 60D don't have WiFi, only have RC6 and switches.

ArcziPL

If your phone has an IR blaster, you can use an app which sends the correct signal via IR to the cam to trigger it remotely (emulating the RC6).

Here an example:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.haui.camerainfraredremote

I am using irplus
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.binarymode.android.irplus

which is configurable. I control a TV, an EOS camera, an audio amplifier and Christmas lights with one app on my phone.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

elenhil

Disregard that, sorry

BaRe

Thank you for theses infos

Quote from: ArcziPL on June 29, 2022, 08:02:33 PM
If your phone has an IR blaster, you can use an app which sends the correct signal via IR to the cam to trigger it remotely (emulating the RC6).

Here an example:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.haui.camerainfraredremote

I am using irplus
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.binarymode.android.irplus

which is configurable. I control a TV, an EOS camera, an audio amplifier and Christmas lights with one app on my phone.