Display access from bootloader / Portable binary test

Started by a1ex, March 15, 2015, 07:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitor

Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

rpt

I have a 5D3 and a 7D2. This I first tried it on the 5D3. I dont know what I am doing wrong but I get this screen when I put the card in and close the card slot door:

20150404_215330 by Rustom, on Flickr

The procedure I followed on the 5D3 was:
1.  So I copied my ML card over to a test card and verified that it worked right (could un-install ML and reinstall ML).
2.  Replaced the autoexec.bin from the link in the first post onto this test card.
3.  Placed the card in the slot and closed the door.
4.  I got the above screen.
5.  Removed the battery.
6.  Replaced the original ML card.
7.  Camera booted with ML and it worked.

So I thought that may be the other ML files were not needed So I removed the ML folder and the .FIR file but got the same result.

What am I doing wrong?

Do you want me to try something on the 7D2?

Pelican

Quote from: Ottoga on April 03, 2015, 01:31:18 AM
Loaded this onto my cf card (7D). When I turned on the camera, the led flashed a couple of times and nothing.

That is:
- no image appeared on the screen
- ML didn't load
- canon menu operational

The autoexe.bin used was downloaded from the link in Alex's 1st post.

Should I be doing anything else to "run' it?

Use the autoexec from g3gg0's link.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

a1ex

@rpt: my fault, I probably uploaded the VxWorks experiment by mistake (solved, download again).

The binary from first post should now work on 7D as well.

rpt

A1ex, Thanks, that sorted out the 5D3 issue. Here is the image from the 5D3:

20150405_015915 by Rustom, on Flickr

However, it did not install on the 7D2. Please note I have a 7D2 and not the 7D. I tried to load it using the firmware update but got the following message. Attached are the two images - one before starting the firmware update and the other when it tried to do the firmware update.
Before selecting firmware update on the 7D2:

20150405_020525 by Rustom, on Flickr

After doing the firmware update on the 7D2:

20150405_020557 by Rustom, on Flickr

Is there something else I need to do? Do you want me to do any other test?

rpt

Thanks. I kind of knew that but was hoping for a miracle. You guys are great at miracles :)

Ottoga

Done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lrcyydx5re98ysq/7D_Magic_Rescue_screenshot.jpg?dl=0

My original attempt failed due to the CF card having had its bootflag reset (probably something that I did the last time I used it)

For the above screenshot, the image was displayed without my needing to power on the camera. (is this how it should work?). I had to remove and reinsert the battery in order to get the camera working again.

Cheers
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

kitor

Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

dukeonee

Hello,

I am at a time where my 5D2 is bricked. The LCD screen and top right screen is blank/black; when turning it on the red light flashes erratically. One thing is that when I press the shutter it will take a photo.. (sounds like a half attempt of a shuttler and doesn't save a photo). When I press the liveview the mechanism inside turns on but the screen is blank.

My cards were reformatted. I don't remember what build I was using. How do I create a FIR to use for autoexec.bin file.

I hope people can help me here or lead me to reviving my camera. very much appreciate it.

Walter Schulz

You don't have to use FIR to enable cards. Run EOScard or MacBoot to make card bootable. Wipe Autoexec.bin and ML directory and replace it with latest nightly build or put diagnostic Autoexec.bin to card for "Screen test".

justenS

So this is what I get.
What can I do now, my camera won't start up.
There is only a red light flickering when I insert the battery.

Walter Schulz

First: Rescale pic.
Second: It works exactly this way.

Format the card in cardreader now. -> ML deleted from card
Or delete autoexec.bin and copy extracted nightly build contents to card. If you want to use ML ...

a1ex

I did a small update to display initialization routine (noticed Canon actually calls those from RAM, not from ROM).

Do you mind checking if it still works? No need to upload new screenshots, just a confirmation (works or not).

Link is the same (first post).

Oswald

7D, EOS-M & 100D.100b ΒΆ  Sigma 18-35mm, Canon 50mm F1.8, 22 STM, 8-48mm f1.0, 18-55 EF-M STM

nikfreak

I can confirm the new autoexec.bin is working for 100D.100B & 70D.111A:

100D.100B isn't able to print the "Camera Model" text [? ? ?] as seen in pic before my post.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Licaon_Kter

a1ex

Some internal sub-version number. For example, what we call 70D 111A/111B have the main version number 1.1.1 and the other numbers differ.

Nikfreak used these extra numbers to identify the firmware sub-version from modules, for example.

veeman

I've run the diagnostic tool and have attached a pic of the screen. The tool runs fine, but when the regular autoexec.bin is replaced, the screen is blank when turned on. The red led on the bottom right blinks once every time I open card door or insert battery.

Thanks for your help.

Licaon_Kter

You've just replaced AUTOEXEC.BIN and not deleted ML-SETUP.FIR (or whatever the FIR is named), right?

Walter Schulz

It doesn't matter if a FIR is located there or not in this situation. FIR is used only during installation (Firmware Update in Canon menu).

Make sure to have all other ML files there, too. Autoexec.bin + ML directory (with contents there, of course).

a1ex

Hint: check other posts from the same user before replying ;)

a1ex

Portable display test updated for DIGIC 6 cameras - FIR files available on request.

Licaon_Kter

So 750D, 760D, 80D, EOS M3, 7D Mark II, 5DS and 5DS R ?  8) :o

ddelreal

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on July 16, 2016, 01:19:18 AM
So 750D, 760D, 80D, EOS M3, 7D Mark II, 5DS and 5DS R ?  8) :o

7D Mark II would be incredible. Good news that there is progress on the DIGIC 6.