5dm3 - LCD stopped working - video mode stopped working - taking pictures works

Started by iacopo, March 14, 2015, 09:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iacopo

Hello everyone,
I've not been an active user, but I've been reading the forum for a very long time and really enjoyed ML on my 7d and 5dm3.

Today my 5dm3 totally stopped working in video mode, I'd like to share my experience and see if anybody can help or give advice.
The camera has 1.2.3 fw installed and ML latest nightly build, while recording a video it stopped, LCD went black and then nothing...
Turning camera off and on again, the top B/W LCD works just fine and the camera works perfectly when taking pictures, autofocus, changing ISO, aperture, WB etc works flawlessly. Taking a picture really works, I can even check the CF card and see the picture was taken and is ok.
BUT:
the main LCD doesn't turn on at all, switching from photo to video mode doesn't turn it on and doesn't lift the mirror, if I plug the USB cable eos utility sees the camera, but live view shooting doesn't work.

I've tried many common sense things like:
removing battery
changing battery
removing SD with ML
removing CF
and so on.

Nothing helped, now, I'd like to totally reset the camera and remove the bootflag, but I can't because I can't access the menu, so frustrating  :'(

I tried using the canon EOS utility software to run a firmware update and: TA DAA (sort of)
The firmware update runs fine, it loads the firmware file to the camera, and the LCD display turns on, I can press the SET button to run the FW update, but then any firmware I tried gave me the same problem. 1.2.3 - 1.3.3 (I haven't tried 1.1.3, will do as soon as possible)

Is there any way to totally reset the camera and uninstall ML without using the menu?

a1ex

Can you try to start the camera with an external monitor?

I can clear all Canon settings without display. I can uninstall ML as well, but this will not help at all and we'll lose the ability to troubleshoot it.

But first I'd get a log of what's going on. I'll prepare some diagnostic tools.

budafilms

@iacopo, have you use your HDMI to an external monitor?
I remember in 1.2.3 I get sort of kind the things you describe me. But When I reset the battery everything was fine.
Have you use HDMI out from canon Menu? Or something like that?

a1ex

Before continuing, please send me privately ROM0.BIN and ROM1.BIN from your card, under ML/LOGS. Those files should be before receiving the error, if possible.

Here's the diagnostic tool: autoexec.bin

It only works on firmware 1.2.3. Start the camera, let it run for 1 minute or so, and you will get a file called "dm.log". Upload it.

Here's my log: dm.log.

In addition, can you also run this test? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14732
(I'm 99% sure it will work, but let's try anyway)

elugol

Hi, Did you fixed it? I have the same problem with my 7D and I havoe no idea how to make it work again!