"this ain't a lv_rec raw file" Occurs though file Recorded Successfully

Started by realfilm, March 12, 2015, 04:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realfilm

Hey,

I successfully recorded multiple RAW captures on the Mark III, which successfully convert with RAW2DNG, however there's one file that receives the error.

The only assumption I can make is that the modules didn't reload properly, as prior to the recording, the battery died, forcing the camera to shut off. I didn't actually restart it, just inserted a new battery and kept shooting. The clip is viewable in camera, but conversion hasn't worked.

Any ideas for what can happen? I've been hexfiending without any success.

Best,

Ian

realfilm

Actually, all clips with a duration of over thirty or so seconds aren't working either. This was on a 64GB Lexar 1000x card with ample remaining space.

Why???

chmee

we're talking about raw (not mlv), right? please look with a hex-editor (like hxd) on the last 192 bytes, they should roughly look like those in this thread.

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

realfilm

Quote from: chmee on March 12, 2015, 05:01:43 PM
we're talking about raw (not mlv), right? please look with a hex-editor (like hxd) on the last 192 bytes, they should roughly look like those in this thread.

Yes RAW. That fix seems to be for recordings that stopped when the card ran out of space and left the ends corrupted, which wasn't this circumstance. And apparently more recent versions of ML don't even have footers to edit in hex?

dmilligan

are there .r00, .r01, r02, etc. files? did you also copy those files?

realfilm

Quote from: dmilligan on March 12, 2015, 06:08:17 PM
are there .r00, .r01, r02, etc. files? did you also copy those files?

What directory would they be in? I only took from the DCIM folder.

chmee

Quote.. And apparently more recent versions of ML don't even have footers to edit in hex?..
no, there have to be some metadata about the recording to be converted accordingly. yes, the r00/01/02/03-files should be in the same folder. if they dont exist, you didnt exceeded the 4gb-filesize.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

realfilm

Quote from: chmee on March 12, 2015, 09:15:30 PM
if they dont exist, you didnt exceeded the 4gb-filesize.

The 4GB file size was exceeded in several files–in fact the ones that aren't converting. Why wouldn't the .r00, .r01, r02 files have generated?   

dmilligan

Quote from: realfilm on March 12, 2015, 09:49:02 PM
Why wouldn't the .r00, .r01, r02 files have generated?   
I don't know. Are you sure they didn't? You haven't provided much information about the version of ML or settings you were using etc.

Unless you really need the extra little bit of performance, I would strongly suggest you use MLV format instead (mlv_rec).

realfilm

Sorry I haven't been forthcoming with the specs. I managed to fix it using the hex footer insert for corrupted 4GB files. Totally didn't realize there would be a FAT32 issue when I was shooting.

Thanks for your help everyone.