Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by a1ex, March 10, 2015, 11:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlad81

Canon EOS 5D Mk III + Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM + SanDisk Exreme Pro 64 GB (SD, ML Nightly.2021Feb07.5D3113) + SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB (CF).

Walter Schulz

H.264, JPEG, embedded previews and as a software preset for applications able to handle exif maker notes (DPP, for example).

Wlad81

I'm working in MLV App, so I'm talking about sharpening in this program. Why is it wrong to sharp raw footage when exporting to ProRes? It makes video look better, this is my workflow.

OK, here's the link to H.264 compressed 1080P version of 2.5K footage: https://disk.yandex.ru/i/fz8obGH9gBAYCg It's to your judgment.
Canon EOS 5D Mk III + Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM + SanDisk Exreme Pro 64 GB (SD, ML Nightly.2021Feb07.5D3113) + SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB (CF).

wib

If it's at the step of mlv app I guess it's ok. Nonetheless applying too much sharpening may introduce more aliasing on sharp details such as thin lines. But it's your personal taste that matters.
EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

Wlad81

Of course it's all about MLV App.

Sharpening at the raw step makes video truly sharper, this kind of sharpening cannot be got later, IMHO.

Please tell me what is right and what is wrong in this video, apart from the operator work.

Wlad81

It seems that for most applications the common h.264 is the best solution. For instance, to shoot a presentation, a concert, a conference. That's what I'm doing mostly. I was thinking of shooting a full concert in lossless, but it looks like it makes no sense whether I shoot it in lossless or in h.264. There's nothing to shoot in lossless - no either pretty interiors, there are just plain clean walls behind the musicians. If the concert took place in the palace, then, perhaps... We have some beautiful places here, but there are not any concerts in these places. I mean classical music concerts of course - the famous Russian piano school, etc.

dpjpandone

Hey guys! I got a 5D3!!!!! WOOOH!!!

I have done some development on 7D and EOSM over the years. I would like to download the repository that contains the source code for the 5d3 version that the 2018 nightly build is compiled from. Can anyone point me toward the correct repository?

names_are_hard

dpjpandone

Quote from: names_are_hard on December 24, 2022, 02:27:20 PM
It's a cool cam, congrats!

The official repo is here: https://foss.heptapod.net/magic-lantern/magic-lantern
thanks man! Could you also please point me to discussion about lossless compression? I searched and read several pages that were mostly just users reporting if it worked or not. I am interested in the science and theory behind it and the menu descriptions that reccomend certain iso ranges for different compression settings have raised a lot of questions that might be cleared up if I could find the right thread

Edit: I think I found something. I'd there a better thread than this: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18443.msg182074#msg182074

names_are_hard

Not something I'm familiar with on forums, I don't have any cams that support it.  It's very popular though so I'm sure people can help you out.

The theory is easy: cam has hardware for doing lossless compression for JPEG (LJ92).  ML can send raw data to this, compressing it.  I don't know how it interacts with ISO, although noise characteristics should change how much compression you get.

soliloqueen

running into an issue with focus stacking where it only triggers the lens IS motor for the first image and sometimes the last one, rather than starting the IS motor, taking all the pictures, and then shutting it off. is this fixable?

Walter Schulz

Lens in use?
Build in use?
Have you manipulated focus stepping? Avoid that for debugging this issue.
Are you trying to use Expo override with aperture *not* wide open? There is a bug affecting all "modern" lenses (starting with "EF 100/2.8 L IS Macro USM" aera). You can use modern lenses wide open, only.

soliloqueen

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 06, 2023, 04:57:53 PM
Lens in use?
Build in use?
Have you manipulated focus stepping? Avoid that for debugging this issue.
Are you trying to use Expo override with aperture *not* wide open? There is a bug affecting all "modern" lenses (starting with "EF 100/2.8 L IS Macro USM" aera). You can use modern lenses wide open, only.

Sorry, I went back to get some specifics, in case I misremembered exactly which one it was triggered on. SO, with the following lens and settings:
Canon 28-135mm IS USM (2006-ish? Maybe?) wide open just in case
Expo override off
2 steps before 2 steps after

Behavior: triggering of IS is completely random. First time I tried this stack, it triggered only step 3. second it triggered steps 3 and 4, and 5. and on from there, it triggered during random steps.

Walter Schulz

Never tried IS with focus stacking. Can't say if it should work or not. Try to reproduce your issue without IS.

soliloqueen

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 08, 2023, 10:09:48 PM
Never tried IS with focus stacking. Can't say if it should work or not. Try to reproduce your issue without IS.

The issue is that the IS doesn't trigger properly. It doesn't interrupt the function of the focus stacking at all. My point here is more about whether the behavior here is optimal. Can ML toggle a half press during the entire stacking process to avoid these kinds of issues altogether without breaking something else, and would that improve the overall experience? would that break anything on other cameras, is that a change that could be implemented easily in the codebase and should be implemented, etc.

Walter Schulz

Thanks, got it now!

You have a point and a very good question. And I have no good answer.

A bit ML history:
Focus stacking part was written by a dev no longer active. Long time main dev a1ex had a look into it and wanted to remove all focus stacking feature because he couldn't make sense of it. Some users (myself included) protested and things stayed as they are now.
a1ex left project some time ago and a new bunch of devs took over. They didn't like what they found, too and began to rework the very basic of all development and that is the build system (the part that put all code pieces together to create "executables". This took time and now we are about to find out if something/what broke on the way. Devs dived into Digic 7 (a very rudimentary build for 200D/SL3 exists) and other new stuff but existing builds may have suffered in transition.
Meanwhile some other devs took old build structure and created/improved several custom builds with various enhancements, esp. for RAW/MLV recording.

In short: I have no idea what will happen to focus stacking feature on the long run. If some dev want to have a look into it it may happen inside a custom build.

dpjpandone

Quote from: soliloqueen on January 08, 2023, 09:49:07 PM

Canon 28-135mm IS USM

The lens is the issue. This design dates back to 1998 and the IS doesn't activate until half-shutter is pressed. Newer lenses (even the bottom of the line kit lens) have full-time IS (to support video modes)

if changing the behavior is very important to you It may be worth learning to compile from source code. Simulating button presses is one of the simplest coding tasks and a very good project for a beginner. The problem you'll run into is this might make your display go nuts if you are using other features that are triggered by half-shutter

soliloqueen

Quote from: dpjpandone on January 09, 2023, 12:54:59 AM
The lens is the issue. This design dates back to 1998 and the IS doesn't activate until half-shutter is pressed. Newer lenses (even the bottom of the line kit lens) have full-time IS (to support video modes)

if changing the behavior is very important to you It may be worth learning to compile from source code. Simulating button presses is one of the simplest coding tasks and a very good project for a beginner. The problem you'll run into is this might make your display go nuts if you are using other features that are triggered by half-shutter

When the camera is in video mode, the IS is on full time, to clarify

dpjpandone

That's good to know! How do you like this lens? There is one available nearby for $80.00, should I snag it? I have a nice set of cinema lenses but no zoom for Full Frame.

soliloqueen

Quote from: dpjpandone on January 09, 2023, 10:14:41 PM
That's good to know! How do you like this lens? There is one available nearby for $80.00, should I snag it? I have a nice set of cinema lenses but no zoom for Full Frame.

It's superb, actually. Probably the best mid-range big zoom I can recall Canon making in terms of general usability. It's got perfectly fine optics and, frankly, I prefer it to the equivalent L from the same time period because it's extremely easy to pull focus on compared to that one and some of the other ones where it can get finicky on the far end of the zoom. there are a few better overall zooms that are newer but they're $400 or more. the only issue with it is that it will fall when pointed downwards at intermediate zooms. at $80 in good condition, it's an insane deal. if you're looking to do movie shooting, though, the OIS is loud.

dpjpandone

Quote from: soliloqueen on January 11, 2023, 08:53:02 AM
It's superb, actually. Probably the best mid-range big zoom I can recall Canon making in terms of general usability. It's got perfectly fine optics and, frankly, I prefer it to the equivalent L from the same time period because it's extremely easy to pull focus on compared to that one and some of the other ones where it can get finicky on the far end of the zoom. there are a few better overall zooms that are newer but they're $400 or more. the only issue with it is that it will fall when pointed downwards at intermediate zooms. at $80 in good condition, it's an insane deal. if you're looking to do movie shooting, though, the OIS is loud.

Thanks for the encouragement. I got it today! I'm impressed with the sharpness throughout the entire zoom range, and what a range! (almost 4x) I did not notice any noise from the OIS (perhaps it could be picked up by the camera's internal mic, but we always run boom and lavs through a field recorder) Since this is a full-frame lens I'd like to try it with a speedbooster on my EOSM one day!