Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by a1ex, March 10, 2015, 11:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dratif

Hi RTI
Quote from: RTI on March 23, 2016, 03:40:18 PM
Make sure you have your CF card selected from the menu. It sometimes switches to SD when you don't have a CF card in camera and won't revert back.

Followed your tip on the latest 1.1.3 (April 1st) update. Now it goes to record almost 25-30 seconds until the clip recording goes red and stops.

Any further advice?
5D3 | SanDisk 64GB 160- KB 64GB 1066x | Canon 24-105mm 4L | Canon 70-300mm IS USM | Rokinon 85mm 1.5 | Nikon 50mm 1.4 | Nikon 28mm 2.8 | Tascam DR-60 Mk2 | Audio Tech. AT 8024 | MS7701B Boom | Aputure H198C | Monitor FreeWorld FW-759 | Tripod Oben AC-1341 | Head PH-368 | Slider SLD-31 | MBP 2015 mid

coffee_king

Hi Guys
Maybe this has been answered before but with there not being a Canon 5D iii actual board on here (Do we really have to ask all questions relating to Magic Lantern & 5D iii on one single thread?) I don't know where to start to look to find an answer.

Ive turned on the continues video recording function but its operating really strangely.

Rather than fill a 4GB file size limit it records the following durations:

23 mins then 7 mins
20 mins then 10 mins
17 mins etc etc

So in the end two file sizes next to each other seem to record to 30 mins, split over 2 videos.

My problem with this is that it seems totally random how long a video will record for before it stops and restarts.
So I cant definitely know I cab record for a certain length without it stopping and restarting.

Anyone else got this issue and any help please?

Thansk in advance.

squig

Have you exFat formatted your CF card and enabled exFat in the ML menu?  :D

Walter Schulz

May I ask which mode you are using?

H.264, All-I? H.264, IPB?
Or are you running MLV_REC.mo or RAW_REC.mo?

And let us know how fast the card actually is. Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min)

hoccomocco

why doesn't magic lantern support firmware 1.2.3?

do they need donations?

Walter Schulz

bazidl

Hi just wondering if anyone can confirm the latest stable version of ML for 1.1.3. they are using... I'm late to the game and trying to get my 5D3 running ML. I downloaded the 2016Apr22 nightly build and have issues with the camera shutting off after exactly 26 seconds on boot. The battery icon would blink until I turned the camera off. If I turned it on again it would boot fine then shut off after 26 seconds. The only thing that would seem to resolve the issue was pulling the battery. The camera would function properly without a hitch (capture pics and video) then randomly when I try to use the camera again and it would shut off without warning and would fall into the 26 second shutoff trap until I pulled the battery. I tried  to use the 2016Feb23 nightly with the same results. So I'm just trying to find out which versions have people had luck without this particular issue.

Thanks in advance

a1ex

I'm not aware of anyone else having this issue.

Can you record a video of it? Does it also happen with default ML settings? Do you use a Canon battery, or a third party one? Is the battery charged?

bazidl

Stock battery battery is charged.

I did figure out what the issue is related to. It seems that when the camera auto shuts off on its own via the auto power off setting (mine was set to 1 minute) it mucks up something and if I don't pull the battery it will auto shutdown in 26 seconds everytime I power on. I've since changed my auto shutdown to never.

I have attached a video of the issue for your review. You will notice that it starts with the camera in the ON position this is because I let it auto power off.

Thanks for all your work on this!

B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhsGYrWDdCs&feature=youtu.be

sorry don't know how to get the youtube embed to work on this site. so you will have to copy/paste

a1ex

That's not normal. With auto power off enabled, the camera should turn off normally after 1 minute.

Do you have the issue with plain Canon firmware? (I assume not)

Do you have the issue if you hold SET at startup to disable ML?

Do you have the issue if you reset all ML settings to defaults?

bazidl

Do you have the issue if you hold SET at startup to disable ML?  Yes

Do you have the issue if you reset all ML settings to defaults? Yes

Do you have the issue with plain Canon firmware? (I assume not) I thought I didn't but apparently I do  :-\ . I'ts not a ML issue. Ugh! I hope it's just the battery. Thanks for all your help I guess it's time to get on the horn with Canon.

guru_rb

Hi,

Does anybody know whether it is possible to achieve 360o shutter angle (shutter speed = 1 / fps)? If yes, can you please share the settings?

regards,
Guru

a1ex

It's very easy to get 359 degrees at 25 and 30 fps (as estimated from ADTG timers). At 24 fps, with the same method, it only goes to 316 degrees.

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#expoverride

itsDPmikey

I have Magic Lantern on my 5Dm3 1.1.3 and recently I have seen some AMAZING improvements with the "pink frame" issues, as in I'm not seeing them anymore  (woohoo! THANK YOU ALL INVOLVED)

...but now, I am experiencing something that I wasn't experiencing before which is skipped frames which causes the recording to stop(I know I can change it to not stop

I have 3 Lexar 1066x UDMA7 cards all "fast enough" for magic lantern but for 24fps 1080 I'm getting skipped frames...not cool.

so here's my question, What should the "sd card" write speed be for the ML firmware to be on? currently the One I have is like 45mb write. Is this not "FAST" enough?
I love this &^*$ MAN!

Walter Schulz

Sorry, skipped reading. Eyes hurt. Repeat question with less VFX, please.

itsDPmikey

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 16, 2016, 08:22:13 AM
Sorry, skipped reading. Eyes hurt. Repeat question with less VFX, please.

What should the "sd card" write speed be for the ML firmware to be on? currently the One I have is like 45mb write. Is this not "FAST" enough?
I love this &^*$ MAN!

Walter Schulz

SD-card interface in 5D3 is limited to about 21 MByte/s writing.

itsDPmikey

Thanks for the partial answer. Is that sufficient enough?
I love this &^*$ MAN!

D_Odell

Hi!

I made some benchmarks with two CF cards: Sandisk 128GB 160 read and 64GB KomputerBay 1000x. Is these numbers okay or are they low? I was mostly thinking of Sandisk, would expect them to write faster...?

Sandisk

Sandisk without Global Draw

KomputerBay

KomputerBay without Global Draw

Trying to determine what holds the camera back sometimes when I get lost frames while recording.
Thanks for any idea!
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

budafilms

That numbers appears to be ok.
Try in a real world with 1920x1080 MLV RAW.

Remember Hacked On in ML menu. And not use processor intensive task like focus, histograms, etc.

In my case, in real world, Komputerbay 1066x was better over Lexar 1066x. No drop frames.

D_Odell

Does anyone know if different firmware for 5D3 provides different write speeds? I use 1.1.3 but my local camera shop said that newer firmware always provide best write speeds. So what do you think? Trying to get a confit that stable records 130 mb/s (spanning seams to be the only deal to make it work). But 1 mb here or there is not the question but it I can gain 10-20 mb/s that's very welcomed.

Best,
David
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

DeafEyeJedi

As usual 1.1.3 < 1.2.3 and who is this dude at your local camera shop?

He may be correct for most electronic devices out there but not when it comes to 5D3.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

budafilms

@D_Odell
Wow! Amazing!

Maybe you can read the beguinning of the posts you are interesting to get accurate information about what you can do and not.

dratif

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on July 19, 2016, 02:23:40 AM
As usual 1.1.3 < 1.2.3 and who is this dude at your local camera shop?

He may be correct for most electronic devices out there but not when it comes to 5D3.

I know you fan of KB. I am using Sandisk 64G 160MB- should I feel confident and go ahead and try KB. The price is so attractive.

I use 5D3
5D3 | SanDisk 64GB 160- KB 64GB 1066x | Canon 24-105mm 4L | Canon 70-300mm IS USM | Rokinon 85mm 1.5 | Nikon 50mm 1.4 | Nikon 28mm 2.8 | Tascam DR-60 Mk2 | Audio Tech. AT 8024 | MS7701B Boom | Aputure H198C | Monitor FreeWorld FW-759 | Tripod Oben AC-1341 | Head PH-368 | Slider SLD-31 | MBP 2015 mid

MAG

I have my 5D mark III for a week now but I learn from this wonderful forum for several months.

I read 1.1.3 is better than 1.2.3, is it true ?

I'm currently in 1.1.3.

But I understand 1.2.3 could give better mb/s ?