Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by a1ex, March 10, 2015, 11:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinach-e

Hi, just downloaded the latently nightly build for Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.1.3

One thing i can't seem to figure out is that the Magic Lantern Liveview Screen Layout is no longer in color. All type is white, particularly shutter speed, ISO and white balance. Shutter speed and ISO no longer change from green to yellow to red. Is this new to the latest build? (the one linked to from http://www.magiclantern.fm/downloads.html)

screenshot below:

spinach-e

Ah, Ok there was a Liveview Layout redesign, that stripped the colors out. I like the redesign, but i just checked the user guide to the nightly build and color coding for ISO changes is still in the guide. Is this now a menu setting you have to turn on?

Also, I can only see the new horizontal mini histogram when I'm shooting RAW. is this a RAW only option?

Walter Schulz

User Guide covers old "stable" v2.3. User guide for nightly build is in the making ... sort of.
Help for updated user guide is needed. Check http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11269.0

Histobar is RAW only. See Overlay tab -> Histogram

spinach-e

Hi Walter, thank you for answering my questions. Yes, that's what I was referring to the new nightly build guide still refers to color coding under the ISO section. Is this still current?

I do see posts in the "Bars Facelift" topic, talking about how the color coding has changed, no more green. Just red and orange, when the ISO setting is not optimal.

I guess my main question is, do the ISO and shutter speeds change color? or is there some other way to visually tell whether you're using settings that aren't optimal?

ijoelpod

I am trying to shoot 14 bit raw video, but it only records for 2 seconds, then says it shows frames dropped. What can I do to record raw video without it stopping on me?

silenthunter

ijoelpod

Quote from: silenthunter on July 19, 2015, 10:10:15 PM
Buy a faster CF card, x1066 minimum.
I am shooting on a Transcend 64 GB High Speed 10 UHS-3 Flash Memory Card 95/60 MB/s  that I have used to shoot 4k with in the past and it has been great. Why would that card not be fast enough?

Walter Schulz

SD-card interface on 5D3 is limited to about 21 MByte/s in write mode.
For 1080p24 in RAW you need about 83 MByte/s.

Markus

Quote from: ijoelpod on July 19, 2015, 11:48:15 PM
I am shooting on a Transcend 64 GB High Speed 10 UHS-3 Flash Memory Card 95/60 MB/s  that I have used to shoot 4k with in the past and it has been great. Why would that card not be fast enough?

Raw is uncompressed data, many if not most 4k formats are compressed data. Compression makes such a big differance on file sizes so you can't really use that kind of logic unless the compression used is the same.
Many compressed 4k formats only use 100mbit/sek (12MB/sek) ML full hd raw uses around 86MB/sek...
Also as stated above your camera has it's own bottlenecks and hardware limitations.

johnPope3

I have installed the latest build and have used this software for a while. When I power up the 23.97 fps override shows for about 2 seconds then diswappears.
If I try to load it responds "B:/ML/H264.ini not found". Any help?

Nicholas

Looking for someone out there that has original 1.1.3 or 1.2.3 firmware for 5d3. I have 1.1.2 & believe I either need 1.1.3 or 1.2.3 to run ML version.  Please respond here or [email protected]  Thanks for the help! NK

DeafEyeJedi

Top of page > Downloads > Download Nightly > Either pick 113 or 123 > scroll down to highlighted link "113" or "123" which will take you to the original firmwares.

Here they are...

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

budafilms

@DeafEyeJedi

The links are not working right now. Can you check it?

DeafEyeJedi

I actually just copied it from the highlighted link from download section in nightly build.

I may have some sitting somewhere in one of my drives. Although are you sure they aren't working because I've seen them work previously?

DeafEyeJedi

wintix

Hey Alex, you mentioned in the main post that porting work for 1.3.3 has already been done. Is there any news regarding that post, do you need help testing or do you have other priorities right now? I flashed my cam to the newest firmware by accident and wanted to check first before downgrading again.
Thanks!

TK1979

This is wonderful Alex!

Thank you for all your efforts on this amazing creation. I would like to mention that my hobby is underwater videography. And any questions i have had in the past have mostly been answered by this forum's topics which I am quite grateful for. And would like to add that the benefits of shooting raw underwater seem IMHO more beneficial than even on land.

The main 2 issues of light loss (full frame advantage on 5dmIII) and the fact that every 10ft (3m) you lose another source/color of light has made this process quite appealing and pleasing for me. I do admit the process in post is time consuming but for me it is worth the extra effort. There is nothing more disappointing that spending so much money on a trip and not getting the full experience on video for others to see.

My experience and benefits:
No need for red filters - cause even more loss of light (lumens) when added
Macro flips are also replaced with magic zoom (unfortunately i realized on my vids that it was not centered and was using V1.1.3 as advised)
You can also take pictures - which has now become such a pleasing addition to my dive experience
Bigger sensor than camcorders and far less expensive that other raw capable video cameras (with smaller sensors)
It's more beneficial to work around and master the limitations present in ML for video on the 5D than using a real video camera when comparing the results.
WB balance is a one button correction in post (especially when you have had the privilege of trying out capture one!)

I will hopefully be able to finish my video of Palau, Micronesia within the next few days and post a link from vimeo onto this site for anyone interested to see what an amature like me has been able to create. But please take into consideration that it is my first video in raw and I am no professional in any way or meaning of the word. I will have it mixed with some GoPro footage and Aerial footage but it will be quite noticeable which is which and is mostly (90%) my raw footage  :D

My process is the following: Please correct me or educate me if you think I am making a mistake. I have read many topics on this forum so it's pretty similar.

1. Shoot in raw (24p) in 1920x1080
2. Examine the results using ML Viewer (mark my ins and outs or basically what's usable whilst on the viewer) and adding the frame numbers (in/out) to the file name
3. Convert using RawMagic
4. Import into Capture One/Lightroom
5. Do all color corrections and image fixtures here (even lens correction)
6. Export in tiff 8bit (find it is more than good enough when compared to 16 bit) and less time consuming
7. Convert into ProRes 422 (not HQ) in Compressor
8. Import into Final Cut Pro X for turning it into a movie and for image stabilization if needed (does not always help)
9. Export as ProRes 422 and not higher since the video is already way too large for uploading
10. My next process will be to bring it back into Compressor to turn it into a vimeo uploadable format like H.264 and then upload

Ill upload my result soon and try to link it to this post as an update if i figure out how.  :)  I just joined!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

DeafEyeJedi

Sounds good. Perhaps you may rather use MLVFS over RawMagic (its not supported by ML) since you are on Mac.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing your results soon!

TK1979

Hey DeafEyeJedi!

Just read a few topics on MLVFS including the one on this forum after your post.

Very interesting software and seems to be quite useful and time saving! Will be giving it a shot tonight. 

Wonderful tip! Thank you very much.  :D

DeafEyeJedi

TK1979

wow!

There is a lot of info there! Very interesting workflow.

I would like to go thru that thread bit by bit and make best of what it has to offer. Specifically the LUT's.

You have been a great help! Thanks again for that!

kimbray

I am running this and when I turn the camera to full manual mode or aperture, I get a blue tinge photo (RAW or JPEG). What am I doing wrong?

Walter Schulz

Please describe in detail what you are doing so we can reproduce your issue. Which ML build are you running (date info)?
Please upload examples somewhere and link them here:

To put it short: I have no idea what you are talking about.