Can Someone Point Me In The Direction To The T5I/700D Tutorial?

Started by YoungPup, March 06, 2015, 01:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungPup

I will be getting my T5i within the next couple of days, and I've done a bunch of research on the camera, so I'll know how to use it. But is there any tutorial that is T5i specific? I've seen this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6JHRay8f2Y but he talks inserting the Fir file into the ML folder (because he's downloading the 600D version) and I don't know if I have to do the same with the 700D (Because there's already a fir file in the folder) and he's talking about EOScard, but again, I don't know if I need to do that with the 700D or not. If someone could help me please :)

YoungPup

I saw this, but then I saw people below talking about the 700D not having a build, so I thought it was really old. So do I just follow the instructions on the first post?

EDIT: also, what do I drag onto the SD? This is what is in my Magic Lanter folder http://i.imgur.com/WSWI4zP.png

Audionut

Forget everything you have read, seen, heard, or whatever.

There are 3 simple steps to the installation procedure, don't over complicate it!

YoungPup

Thanks! Still though, what do I drag onto my SD? I linked the image of what's in the ML folder, above.

Audionut

We wouldn't put files in the download that are unnecessary.

YoungPup

Ok, so I just drop the whole folder in then? (Sorry I'm asking all these stupid questions, I just don't want anything to go wrong)

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Browse nightly builds -> 700D.113
Format card inside cam
Download file -> Extract contents -> Copy extracted contents (ML directory, FIR file and AUTOEXEC.BIN) to card (cardreader)-> Insert card into cam and run firmware update. Follow screen instructions (as in "restart cam before 30 seconds timeout hits").

YoungPup

Ok and 1 more question, I've seen people talking about how they can't get RAW video running on their T5i, yet this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5k2BSg46N0 runs it beautifully. I just purchased this SD card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IF4O69O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 do you think I'll be able to run RAW video?

Walter Schulz

Please provide a link to those people sayings. I think you misunderstood.
700D's SD-card interface is limited to about 40 MByte/s which is good for continuous 720p25 RAW recording. 16 GByte will give you about 7 minutes recording duration.
Benchmarking this card - as far as I could find out - will give you write speeds up to about 44 MByte/s using a decent USB 3.0 cardreader.

YoungPup

Walter Schulz

I think I'm a bit familiar with this thread and I still haven't found what you are talking about. Please direct me to a post where this issue came up.

YoungPup

Further down on page 3, people start saying that they can't record for much longer than a few seconds, and then stupendousman_dk posts about how his video has a bunch of tiny pink dots on it. And then ThankMeLater says the same thing about how he can't record for more than 2 minutes, and then Jailll says the same thing.

Walter Schulz

Maybe your wording is misleading.
" I've seen people talking about how they can't get RAW video running on their T5i,"
and now you are pointing to people unable to record continuously in 720p24 in 2013.

EDIT: The video you linked has very short cuts only. Longest uninterrupted scene is about 20 seconds (0:59 - 1:16).

YoungPup

I pointed to that thread because I wouldn't want to record anything under 720P, and I couldn't find any other thread about people talking about the T5i, Raw, and Video. Was this fixed in an update or something?

Walter Schulz

Insert card into cardreader and format with ExFAT file system. Copy extracted nightly contents to card and run firmware update. Now try for yourself.

YoungPup

That's probably the best idea :) Thanks. My camera is arriving on Monday, so I'll try it then :)

YoungPup

Ok, so I got to 25 seconds, and a frame skipped, so it stopped recording.

Walter Schulz

MLV/RAW? Settings used? File system used on card? Have you tried lower resolutions/frame rates? If so: Which one gives you continuous recording?
Go to Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min). Start it and press PLAY button. After benchmark terminated you will find BENCHx.PPM on card's root. Report results for highest write rate.

YoungPup

I was using "Raw recording v2.0 MLV" I'm not sure what you mean by "File system used on card" I have not tried to lower the resolution, because I didn't want to record anything under 720P (Which is what I was recording at) Card R/W Results: http://i.imgur.com/ys4r67k.jpg (also have the Bench.TMP file, but I don't know how to open it. I tried opening it in Terminal, but it said "cannot execute binary file")

Walter Schulz

Formatting a card gives you an option to select the file system and you should use ExFAT (as in reply #15).
If you don't know how: Google.

Benchmark has 3 different modes: Photo, video and playback. And - for now - playback mode we need. Turn Global Draw off for this test.

You should be able to find infos about PPM file format and how to handle it by googling around.

YoungPup

Oooh, I used Disk Utility on my Mac, and formatted it to ExFat. I'm not really sure what you're talking about with the different benchmark modes, and I'm also not sure what a PPM file is, because we haven't said anything about PPM files. I'm feeling weird about ML right now, because I want it to work so bad, but so far, the only thing that's working good is the MagicZoom (But it's choppy, and doesn't have a green bar to let me know it's focused, like I've seen in some videos. Not sure if ML still has that feature) but Rack Focus doesn't work for me at all. I'll first focus the lens, then turn it to AF, and then go into the "Focus End Points" and I'll change the steps, but the focus doesn't change, and sometimes the step change will be 2, and then other times it'll skip by like 20. Right now I'd like to focus on RAW/MLV, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, because I've watched a bunch of tutorials online.

Walter Schulz

Think about it. Most of your confusion cames from watching tutorials ... Conclusion? See reply #3.

I *have* mentioned Benchx.PPM.
Now turn Global Draw off, start benchmark and press Play button just after starting.
Convert resulting PPM to JPG and upload it somewhere (Picload.org or else). Link it here.

YoungPup

Ok, just started the benchmark. But with the previous benchmark, I only got that TMP file, and I couldn't convert that into anything. Where would the PPM file be located on the card?

YoungPup

Yea, so the only file I have is the Bench.TMP file, and I'm not sure what to do with it

Walter Schulz

Looks like benchmark didn't terminate properly. No output file, then.
Did you manage to run playback mode? If so: Give highest number for write, please.

YoungPup

I think my camera might have automatically shut off before it was done. I set it to 15 minute automatic shut off now, so I'm running it again.

YoungPup

I also think my problem is that I might not be pressing the play button. I'm pressing the button next to the trash can, which looks like the button on the top right of this image (This is not my camera or image) http://icdn2.digitaltrends.com/image/canon-eos-m-micro-four-thirds-camera-rear-controls-1000x665.jpg?ver=1

Walter Schulz

Sorry to say but it looks like this card is not able to record 720p24 continuously. If you have a decent cardreader connected by a fast interface you may benchmark your card. Don't know which one to use in OS X. I use Windows based Crystaldiskmark most of the time and h2testw to confirm card's label.

YoungPup

Not sure if the pic uploaded, but here is a benchmark (I think...) of the card http://picload.org/view/cwoicpg/diskspeedtest.png.html And do you think I should return the card? The description stated "High-speed, Class 10 performance-leverages UHS-I technology for a read transfer speed up to 600x (90MB/s)
Capture high-quality images and extended lengths of stunning 1080p full-HD, 3D, and 4K video with a DSLR camera, HD camcorder, or 3D camera"

YoungPup

What I've realized, is that once I get to like 34 seconds of recording in RAW, the speed of the SD dramatically drops to mid twenties, which causes it to skip frames, which causes it to stop recording. The SD card said it was up to 90MB/s and another member on here recommended this exact one for the T5i/700D