which shock mount for a hand held boompole in the field?

Started by Brawl, March 30, 2015, 03:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brawl

I discovered there are almost two different tech of shock mounts.

the first one is this kind:

the second one is this:

which one will work the best for a hand held boompole in the field?
will the second one (second image) provide a good anti vibration isolation as the rubber band (first image)?

for field recording I mean hand held non static boom pole. the mount must be really solid. if it is not the mic will lose its position and it could eventually "try" to fall (it's connected with the cable so it should not).
for example try to read the one star review here.

quote:

"When I pay top dollar for a Rode product I expect it to work in a professional environment and this product has been a disappointment. Yes, it does isolate the handling noise of a boom pole quite well but the rubber bands do not support the weight of my Rode NTG-3 mic. The mic sags in the bands and tends to fall out of the mount in use. Good thing the mic cable was still holding the mic or my mic would have crashed to the ground several times. Plus, you look like a fool when you flub the take because your mic slid out of the mount. I even wrapped a rubber band around the mic base to "catch" on the mount's rubber and the mic still slid out of the mount. This mount sort of works on a static boom but is pretty much worthless on a hand held boom pole."

Source www.am*z*n.com (Rode SM4, shock mount review).

SiSS

I'm interested too, anyone?
Rycote gets good reviews and heard that same thing about Rode.

Brawl

I bought the rode SM4 and I'm sending it back to amazon because what was written in the first post was true (the review that I found over amazon). I will buy the Rycot soon and I will update this topic with my impressions. :)
With SM3 and Rode NTG3 the the mic can fall if it is not connected to the xlr cable, this is 100% true.

Brawl

Can you help me to decide which new shock mount to buy for my boom pole please?

the alternatives are (price is similar)

1) ⁣⁣⁣⁣

2)

//The image width tag works wonders.  We don't need to see at the microscopic level with images 10 trillion pixels wide ;)  Audionut.

dubzeebass