External Monitor Recommendations with MLV Raw Recording

Started by swinxx, March 03, 2015, 01:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Sweeeet looking forward to your results!

I have a good feeling about this, @swinxx!

[emoji1]
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

swinxx

So i got the monitor today!
all i can say is whow. great product, great accessories, great price.
defititive a professional product, comes with case, sunhood, battery!, flex arm, usb firmware update cable.
my canon 5d mk3 runs 1.2.3 ml firmware and the monitor seems to work great with that firmware.
the features of the monitor are great.
i have never had the chance to compare different dslr monitor, but this one is a ocassion. it is also really leightweight.
lov it so far.
if you have any questions, please ask. thx sw

DeafEyeJedi

Awesome, happy for you @Swinxx!!!

Question... Do you mind downgrading to 113 and see if the overlays still work even though it's not clean HD out... Probably may not be worth it, huh?

Do you prefer ML's Zebras comparing to Aputure's built-in version?

Also not sure if the Peak Focus is included in Vs-2 whereas I believe it is included for the Vs-3 (correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm gonna consider order it as soon as I get back home from Puerto Rico at the end of this week.

So glad you got great news out of this product!!!

*cheers*

swinxx

hello @deafeyejedi:
yes it has 2 versions of peak focus. one seems a little bit lighter (less agressive), and the other one has stronger lines. one missing feature compared to vs-3 is that the vs-2 has no false color, but!! it has also dot to dot (1:1), which is really nice and seems like a zoom option without loosing resolution :) i really dont need 1.1.3 (1.2.3 seems more reliable for me) but will test it when i have some time (which i dont have now) i will also check out the zebra differences and write back as soon as possible. the picture is full screen and looks really great. all in all, i really like this monitor. its a really suberb tool, but i have to mention that i have no experience with other monitors (lilliput or smallhd)
greets.

DeafEyeJedi

Now this one is such a tease... is it bluffing me?

swinxx

Yes. A little bit like an iphone 5 :) but smallhd is so expensive. Keep in mind that i bought my 7inch display for 190€ :)
And it is 7inch. Ok resolution is not top notch, but enough for me to pull sharpness and frame perfectly. Now i only need a flexible hdmi cable 50cm for gimbal use. I bought a flat one minihdmi ->hdmi but it is not working :(
Greetings and thank you for the link

DeafEyeJedi

Could you take a screenshot of your toy w ML overlays or perhaps a quick video from ur IPhone?

I'll PM you my iPhone digits and iMessage will do.

swinxx

Yes. But i am on holidays til next week sunday. Greets

ABISAL

Hi

After looking at all the threads on the subject, I am somewhat confused about whether it is possible to use an external monitor currently shooting in RAW.

In fact, there is an issue about that,https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1582/crop-bars-for-external-smallhd-oled-7-7 , and i dont know if i will have any problem using an external monitor.

From what I understand this is possible using the MVL module but saddly, i dont have any external monitor to try it before buying it.

Im sorry about if i duplicate the info, but i still confused after reading all the thread.

Regards!

extremelypoorfilmaker

This sounds like the topic i was looking for! :)

now i am just wondering if i can make that monitor wireless! :)

ABISAL

swinxx!!! We are all waiting for your answer !!!! ^ ____ ^

extremelypoorfilmaker

I have to agree with ABISAL Seems you went on holiday and never went back SWINXX!! :)

Or, maybe THAT's EXACTLY the case.. o_O

swinxx

Ok. So i have got the monitor APUTURE VS-2
Great Piece of gear! especially when you search and buy in such a price segment (i paid 190Euros).
so here is my quick review:

1. Haptic:
The monitor itself is really lightweight and has some controls on the front side. you can assign some buttons with functions from the menu. it feels good and really well build

2. Accessories:
What you get with this monitor is: a great case for protection, a sunhood made of (i think) cotton which is great, a articulation arm for all different requirements, a battery, a recharcher for the battery and a hdmi cable. so you get everything you need with this package.

3. the Menu:
The menu is self explaining, simple and offers nice options as: 1:1 dot to dot pixel representation, different color modes, focus peak, different aspect ratio frames, and so on. i think it is nearly perfect. i would like to have false color representation too, but this is only offered with the more expensive vs-3.

4. the Picture Quality:
For me it is really ok, i can focus properly, the monitor display has a slightly color shift when i compare it to my canon 5d mk3 liveview, but you can change the colors within the menu so you can adjust the wb a little bit. i like the screen size and what really stands out is the weight of the monitor, which is - for a 7 inch display - really low :)))

5. overall:
i like the monitor 4 out of 5 stars. the only downsides for me: no false color, and slight color shift. but hey the monitor cost 190euros.

so, if you have other questions, feel free to ask.

greetings, swinxx

extremelypoorfilmaker

Awsome SWINXX!! Thanks a lot mate!

Just to be on the safe side, you can record RAW while using the monitor right? (i know that most probably you can, i just want to be re-assured! :) ) i will most probably buy that same monitor..

but this one is not too far away in terms of price and it seems quite a good choice..

http://www.lilliputuk.com/monitors/hdmi/5D-ii/

What's your opinion about the lilliput monitor people? Any experience with it, or lilliput monitors in general?

cheers

ali farahani

Lilliput is not too bad but i prefer small hd monitors or ikan . better  quality than lilliput lcds.
5DIII,Samyang 14 T3.1, zeiss planar 50mm f1.4 ze,  Zacuto view finder , komputerbay 64gb , RawVideo Lover

swinxx

i had no problems when recording raw/mlv, so yes: it is possible
i have switched firmware to 1.2.3 to have a clean hdmi output.

lilliput monitors are for sure also great but i have no experience with that brand.

greets. swinxxxxxxx

DeafEyeJedi

and recording raw/mlv on 113 will NOT show on external monitor, correct?

ali farahani

DeafEyeJedi

5D3 / EOS-M / 7D / 70D

External Monitor Recommendations with MLV Raw Recording
« Reply #41 on: Today at 05:30:20 PM »
and recording raw/mlv on 113 will NOT show on external monitor, correct?

Not correct.. Its possible.but on 113 firmware just see the  external monitor or camera lcd(just one of them)
5DIII,Samyang 14 T3.1, zeiss planar 50mm f1.4 ze,  Zacuto view finder , komputerbay 64gb , RawVideo Lover

extremelypoorfilmaker

Thanks A lot Swinxx man! :)

I do realize the question i have asked it was a bit silly, so thank you for the nice reply! :) I Think i will go for the VS 2 as well, saving me some £££

@Ali farahani

Of course ikan monitors are better than your lilliput or aputure, i would definitely buy one of those.. if it wasn't that the good stuff are quite pricey! :)

limey

Recording with external monitor on 1.13 will show on the monitor only.

extremelypoorfilmaker

Hi guys, just wanted to let you all know that my Aputure VS 2 arrived today. I already tried it with my 5D3 and it works fine.

The only thing, and this is a question for swinxx, the playback of MLV videos is painfully slow, and it does not work on the camera when it is in mirroring mode, Is that normal, or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks!

DeafEyeJedi

and it works fine as in? with RAW/MLV? Are you able to see the ML overlays while recording?

How does it look and feel while focusing during the day? bright enough?

MLV playback on camera is normally slow but it used to be really slow. They have sped it up and it's actually not too bad.

Just wait until you're done shooting for the day and just go home and deal with it on a true HD monitor, via MLRV.

jk but seriously are you happy with this VS 2?

swinxx

@ extremelypoorfilmaker:

i never used to play back mlv videos on camera direct because it was so slow in the beginning, so i don´t know. i always carry my laptop and use the cardreader and Mlrawviewer to playback my files.

@DeafEyeJedi:

when the sun is shining bright and you are on set at highnoon, you can not see very much on screen, also with sundood applied. i think the problem is that the display is too glossy. when the sun is behind the clouds, there is no problem :)
There are no overlays cause i use firmware 1.2.3 with clean hdmi.

Greets. swinxx

ABISAL

extremelypoorfilmaker

I will post a more detailed answer with a video of the Monitor in operation, so you all will be able to see how it works and the features!

Sorry for the poor earlier reply, it was late.. and i was tired, and i just collected The monitor, so i was just checking it wasn't broken!

Will post soon a video of the VS2 in action! :)