Premiere CC 2014/Resolve 11.1 roundtrip issues with slow motion

Started by MillTech, September 25, 2014, 10:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MillTech

Hi

Im using Magic Lantern Raw footage from a 5D iii and my workflow is as follows:

1: MLVs to DNG using MLV Mystic
2: DNG to ProRes 422 individual clips in Resolve (Some 25p some 50p)
3: Edit on a 25p timeline, using "speed/duration" to slow down 50p clips
4: Export Finalcut XML
5: Rename proxies folder
6: Import to Resolve 11.1, relinking DNG's in place of ProRes proxies

Now my cuts are all there and it uses the correct source file for each clip on the timeline, but all of the slow motion clips are using the wrong section of the source file and seem to be running at 12.5 fps or something.

The audio on the timeline is also using the wrong sections of the linked audio (recorded separately from clips).

Any ideas whats happening? Ive tried Resolve and Finalcut 7 for mixed framerate options.

chmee

if you want to slowdown by fps, use/try the properties of the file. maybe these values will exported accordingly in the edl/xml. i'd say, the speed-changer on timeline-clip is more an effect, not a property-changer.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

beauchampy

Hey Milltech,

I've done two projects now with a mix of 25p and 50p raw. I'm using Resolve 11 though, not 11.1

1. MLV to DNG using RAWMagic
2. Open resolve and set 25p frame rate, corners to stretch in resize, check the 'assist using reel names' box.
3. Add all clips to a timeline, export as Prores 422 keeping the original names.
4. Edit in Premiere Pro CC 2014, slowing 50p clips down by 50% on the timeline.
5. Export Final Cut XML
6. Import XML into resolve and from there everything is smooth sailing.

Clips relink properly without renaming any proxies as I kept the original names and checked 'assist using reel names'.

Also, when I make my XML for the grade, I actually create a new timeline and delete the audio (plus anything else I think resolve won't like) and I export that new timeline for the XML trip.

I think your problems come from the whole renaming thing. Try using the original names and using reel names. Also it could be Resolve 11.1...

Good luck

beauchampy

Also, contrary to what chmee suggests, I don't find changing the interpreted frame rate in premiere works.

ariaelf

beauchampy, I've tried following your workflow and the hangup is in exporting the XML from Premiere CC.... Premiere CC fails to include reel/tape names in the XML file so no relinking happens when back in Resolve.

Are you sure you're using Premiere CC and not Premiere CS6.5?? This bug has been confirmed with Adobe and it's been driving me up the wall.... trying to figure out a workaround - forcing individual clips to conform is not efficient with a feature film :/

beauchampy

Quote from: ariaelf on March 05, 2015, 09:00:00 PM
beauchampy, I've tried following your workflow and the hangup is in exporting the XML from Premiere CC.... Premiere CC fails to include reel/tape names in the XML file so no relinking happens when back in Resolve.

Are you sure you're using Premiere CC and not Premiere CS6.5?? This bug has been confirmed with Adobe and it's been driving me up the wall.... trying to figure out a workaround - forcing individual clips to conform is not efficient with a feature film :/

I'm using Premiere CC 2014.2 Release... (on a Mac running 10.9.4)