[ALREADY DONE] Seamless RAW/MLV recording +30 minutes

Started by Walter Schulz, March 02, 2015, 09:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

In other news: Since late January ML is able to record +30 minutes without frames loss/drop at 29:59. You don't even need to set "Movie Restart ON". Just press the button and record as long as you like and battery/card's memory size*/temperature limit allows.

* = Today's build enables MLV recording to exceed 40 GByte.

H.264 is still hampered by hardcoded 29:59 limit and is therefore not able to pass this border without frame loss.

Sorry, 5D3.123 users: Not available for you, yet. Please be patient!
5D3.123 users: You need magiclantern-Nightly.2015Mar16.5D3123 or newer build.

arrinkiiii

budafilms

DeafEyeJedi

It may also be killer for the 5D3...

Hence the reason why there's a 30 minute limit to keep it from overheating.

But when shooting RAW -- the camera is actually not working as much as it would normally while shooting h.264 (compression takes work!) and indeed an icepack may help a bit but it also cause mold inside out from moist.

It ain't RED, if not better!?

[emoji57]
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

You're wrong about the main reason for this limitation. It's connected to the price tag because video cameras will be taxed in a different (more expensive) way. And  everything able to record up to 30 minutes is not a video camera by definition.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0794343949/wto-looking-at-moves-to-remove-30-minute-limit-from-digital-cameras

DeafEyeJedi

I second that, Walter, which reminds me of what most of my teachers say during my Cinematography studies in college back then... "They came up with this Laws to better control the market for cameras with longer recording times consider more profession as oppose to consumer friendly 30 minute limit." which sounds kind of lame to me IMO, perhaps they should lift that up a little with the ITA?

Is that right, buddy?

Thanks for the clarification!

Walter Schulz

Sorry, I won't try to fight legal stuff and economics with reason.

DeafEyeJedi

Wasn't trying to initiate an argument.

and I understand your reason so Never mind then.

Thanks.

jose_ugs

Markus

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 02, 2015, 09:24:08 PM
In other news: Since late January ML is able to record +30 minutes without frames loss/drop at 29:59:59. You don't even need to set "Movie Restart ON". Just press the button and record as long as you like and battery/card's memory

Does this mean you now longer need to use the sticky shutter workaround to hinder live view auto power off?

Walter Schulz

For external recording? I'm afraid it does not: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14638.0

EDIT: Seamless HDMI/USB recording implemented in experimental builds for some time.

Markus

I ment for mlv recording. I had some troubleshooting with this  a while back when testing out cont. recording on 256gb cards. Longer than 30min mlv's without sticky shutter work around would be great ☺.

Walter Schulz

That's why I posted this:
No workaround needed.
Not a single frame lost.

menoc

Walter Schulz

menoc

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 06, 2015, 12:33:52 AM
And the question is?

. . . larger files than 4GB on FAT32? . . .Is eXFAT enabled on the 50D? Heat is a big issue with 50D. I have not been able to do 30 min continuous in RAW.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: menoc on March 06, 2015, 03:50:44 AM. . . larger files than 4GB on FAT32? . . .
Just impossible.

Quote from: menoc on March 06, 2015, 03:50:44 AMIs eXFAT enabled on the 50D?
No.

Quote from: menoc on March 06, 2015, 03:50:44 AMHeat is a big issue with 50D. I have not been able to do 30 min continuous in RAW.

Quoterecord as long as you like and battery/card's memory size*/temperature limit allows.
And 2nd reply
Quote(And Ice for the camera)  :P

menoc

dmilligan

Astrophotographers mod their cameras with cooling all the time. There are plenty of solutions out there for that.

menoc

Quote from: dmilligan on March 07, 2015, 03:34:58 AM
Astrophotographers mod their cameras with cooling all the time. There are plenty of solutions out there for that.

I had an idea last summer for a shoot (I live in South Florida) to cool my 50D by insulating it with a rain protector then encasing the bottom in dry ice. A little extreme but never actually tried it. Although, I think it would have done the trick to keep the camera cool. . . or it would have petrified the camera solid. :P

CatalinRC

The problem with heat on 50d persist if an external battery is used?

Walter Schulz

It will help a bit but it won't solve the problem, I'm afraid.

Markus

Does 30+ min recordings work on the 5d3 firmware 123 with the newly released nightly?