Something really odd about my camera

Started by ZachGoodwin, March 02, 2015, 01:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZachGoodwin

I took video with my camera and on the screen of the camera it looks sharper and brighter and I did not adjust the lV gain and I have tested this without Magic Lantern. It looked better with Magic Lantern because of the higher CBR but for some reason I just can't get why does the colors, sharpness, and noise look different on the screen of my T2i than on the screen of the computer. Anyone want to explain?

dmilligan

My crystal ball has gone missing again, so you'll have to provide more info than that. Examples wouldn't hurt either.

Audionut

If your laptop screen isn't correctly calibrated, then it's a crap shoot trying to compare.

Frank7D

"...how is it that a 1920x1080p image looks better on the camera's screen low resolution screen than on my laptop?"

If by "better" you mean sharpness, realize that sharpness is not the same as detail. Your little camera display is down-sampling the HD image and may sharpen it in the process. You can get the same effect in software on your computer. Also, how the footage looks on your computer will depend on what software you use to play it. Basically you're comparing apples and oranges when you use two different players (the one in your camera and the one on your computer).

Really, the best way to evaluate footage is at full resolution, with one-to-one pixel correspondence, so there's no re-sizing going on. That would mean viewing 1920x1080 footage on a 1920x1080 display (or a higher-res display using a 1920x1080 sized part of the screen).

pv25pv

Are you trying to compare sharpness and colors between your cam's 3" screen and 15" laptop screen or even larger monitors? Frustrating i think.
you are recording raw so its as sharp as it gets anyway depending your lens...maybe u have not focused correctly coz of the tiny screen?
5Dmk3
24-105mm f/4L _ 16-35mm f/2.8L II _ 50mm f/1.4 _ TS-E 90mm f/2.8 _ Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX

reddeercity

@ZachGoodwin, what you are seeing I would suspect is on the back of the LCD screen on the Camera the image is processed .
Meaning that the Liveview you see is what the H264 video would be like, with picture profile being applied, sharpness etc... just like HDTV (rec709)
and the raw video data is that, Raw and has to be Color Corrected & White Balanced there is no processing to that data that also includes sharpness.
If you have any Adobe products you can adjust the raw data with the ACR plugin or there is a few tools here at Magic Lantern Forum that also help,
Check this section of threads "Raw Video ยป Raw Video Postprocessing -->http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=54.0

I hope this Helps  ;)

Audionut

If you're even remotely interested in the color accuracy of your display system, then it must be calibrated.

An spider3 will get you part way there, but shoot for something like this if you want true accuracy and performance.