Using Magic Lantern WITH Cinestyle?

Started by hankki, February 24, 2015, 07:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hankki

This most likely has been asked previously, however I am having a difficult time finding the answer..

Since I am shooting with Magic Lantern RAW, would I still need to choose Cinestyle to get the flat look?

Or since it is already RAW, it is already as flat as it gets?

KelvinK

Quote from: hankki on February 24, 2015, 07:43:37 AM
This most likely has been asked previously, however I am having a difficult time finding the answer..

Since I am shooting with Magic Lantern RAW, would I still need to choose Cinestyle to get the flat look?

Or since it is already RAW, it is already as flat as it gets?

No, you don't need any special picture profile, it's not applied to final files Just use the best profile for you for monitoring while record.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

hankki

I guess I'm just confused because I heard some people using Cinestyle WITH ML..

dmilligan

those people don't shoot raw (ML is more than just raw video)

DFM

It does make prefect sense, if you're using an external recorder. The HDMI output is always affected by the picture style, even when shooting raw.

When we're filming on a 5DIII the usual setup is MLV to the internal card and HDMI mirrored to a Ninja Blade (recording in ProRes as both a backup and for dailies). Even though the Ninja gets 4:2:2, using a flat picture style makes for much easier grading, and more realistic scopes on the Ninja.

By applying paired styles (VisionColor to the HDMI in camera and VisionLOG to the cDNGs in post), it's a lot easier to intercut footage if there's a glitch in the MLV, or apply a working grade to the dailies that's not far off the planned print.