Focus patterns

Started by wings, July 18, 2012, 07:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wings

Hi Alex. I don't use all the features available on ML, but do like quite a few for still photos. I tried to set the focus pattern on my T3i/600D and can access them all except the last one, 4 points around the center point as indicated in the manual. No big deal really but thought it might be usefull. Thanks for the fine work you all are doing.
Camera gear: Canon T3i, T2i, w/ML
Lens: EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 , EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6,          EF 100-400 L f/4.5-5.6

ilguercio

I suggested, a while ago, to have the option of focus patterns work as the cropmarks since the pictures of the focus points layout is already available.
You can't always change the patterns or see if you selected it right with particular point selection mode or AF button assignation.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

a1ex

Does it work with the SET button?

wings

Thanks Alex. I was using the arrow keys. Works fine with set button. They are not all accesable with the set button, but that's OK. with the set button I get 3 vertical and 3 horizontal, 4 points around the center. With the arrow keys I get all the rest.
Thanks again for the quick response. Cheers
Lens: EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 , EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6,          EF 100-400 L f/4.5-5.6

scrax

That's good because that's how it work  ;)
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

wings

Your right. I just reread the manual and saw that it said "using arrow keys + SET to choose patterns".
Now I see why you administraters get frustrated by some questions. People (INCLUDING ME :-\)should learn to read instructions thoroughly before questioning why this or that doesn't work.
My apologies.
Keep up the good work.

Francis

No need for apologies. It is one thing to misunderstand as there are a lot of intricate options in ML. It is another to make no attempt to figure it out or search for answers.

This question asked now can help others in the future hopefully, as long as they think to search first and post second.

scrax

Quote from: Francis on July 19, 2012, 08:22:04 AM
No need for apologies. It is one thing to misunderstand as there are a lot of intricate options in ML. It is another to make no attempt to figure it out or search for answers.

This question asked now can help others in the future hopefully, as long as they think to search first and post second.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Wilba

Hello. Playing with v2.3 Focus Patterns on a 60D. I've always found the User Guide very confusing on this function. Here's what I need to do to make it work.

1. Set C.Fn III-2 (AF point selection method) = 0 and C.Fn IV-2 (Assign SET button) = 0.
2. Get out of Live View.
3. Press the INFO. button until the LCD monitor goes blank.
4. Press the Multi-controller and SET button to cycle through the available focus patterns. The AF points in the viewfinder don't flash to indicate the pattern selected, so I have to...
5. Press the Magnify (Zoom In) button to display the current pattern.
6.a. If I use the Multi-controller or SET button with the current pattern displayed, the normal (non-ML) AF point selection process occurs.
6.b. To return to Focus Pattern selection (step 5), press the Magnify button again.

The instruction in the User Guide to "Press the Zoom In button twice to see the current selection", now makes some kind of sense to me. The first press shows the current selection, and the second press turns it off and returns you to being able to change the pattern.

I'd much prefer that the Focus Patterns option just added the patterns to the standard selection process. Without being able to see the pattern I've just selected it's simply way too fiddly (double-pressing the Magnify button after each selection), to get to one I might want to use.

Thanks a bunch for everything else I've tried!   :D

jedivader

Strange. I'm using the Focus Patterns feature of ML v2.3 on my 60D and I do see the AF points flash when pressing the multi-controller.
60D | EF 50 f/1.8 II | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS

decafie

I have no idea how to adjust the Focus Patterns here, running ML v2.3 on a Canon 600D.

I get out of live view, pressing the arrow keys only gets me into the AF mode menu... Pressing Set doesn't get do anything,...

I am prepared for any and all name calling, just someone please tell me how to get the Focus patterns on my 600d =/

Francis

Not sure about the 600D, but on the 550D you enable under ML menu, then use the arrow and SET keys to select points while the LCD is off. In the case of the 550D, this is easy because of the proximity sensor that turns off the display with your eye to the viewfinder. It did show which points were selected, both in the viewfinder and then also on the display if you press the autofocus point selection button. However it would deselect the custom patterns if trying to change a focus point on the selection screen.

scrax

on 600D you need to have display off by pressing disp. button before changing them, you can see the pattern only when whatching in the eyefinder. On 2.4 there will be a more intuitive way of setting them (like what suggested ilguercio), actually you can try it with the nightly build if you already donated.

decafie

Thank you scrax and Francis, I was missing that one step -> turning off display by pressing "DISP."

I appreciate the patience and help, I will be donating very soon.

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: Wilba on August 14, 2012, 05:52:58 AM
Hello. Playing with v2.3 Focus Patterns on a 60D. I've always found the User Guide very confusing on this function. Here's what I need to do to make it work.

1. Set C.Fn III-2 (AF point selection method) = 0 and C.Fn IV-2 (Assign SET button) = 0.
2. Get out of Live View.
3. Press the INFO. button until the LCD monitor goes blank.
4. Press the Multi-controller and SET button to cycle through the available focus patterns. The AF points in the viewfinder don't flash to indicate the pattern selected, so I have to...
5. Press the Magnify (Zoom In) button to display the current pattern.
6.a. If I use the Multi-controller or SET button with the current pattern displayed, the normal (non-ML) AF point selection process occurs.
6.b. To return to Focus Pattern selection (step 5), press the Magnify button again.

The instruction in the User Guide to "Press the Zoom In button twice to see the current selection", now makes some kind of sense to me. The first press shows the current selection, and the second press turns it off and returns you to being able to change the pattern.

I'd much prefer that the Focus Patterns option just added the patterns to the standard selection process. Without being able to see the pattern I've just selected it's simply way too fiddly (double-pressing the Magnify button after each selection), to get to one I might want to use.

Thanks a bunch for everything else I've tried!   :D

On my 60d the following worked (Of course, I wasn't on Live View);

1. On ML Menu - Select Focus Pattern ON and quit (Trash Button)
2. Press `Zoom-In' button to activate Focus Selection and half-press Shutter button to activate Selection of Focus Pattern
3. Select `Focus Pattern' from View Finder

Note: - Whenever you press Zoom In button, the focus pattern lights up for some time
          - Whenever you take a picture, the focus pattern blinks before locking on to the subject
          - Even if the `Focus Pattern' from ML Menu is selected `OFF', the focus pattern already selected will stay
            on and will not get erased even if the camera is switched off
          - Lastly, irrespective of whether the `Focus Pattern' on ML Menu is set to ON or OFF, you can return           
            to Canon settings by pressing the zoom-in button and do the Focus Point Selection (Auto or
            otherwise.
          - The Focus Pattern settings made will not be affected by switching OFF the camera (and ML Menu)

scrax

Just to let you know a bit more on FP, this function is ported from 400Dplus and like in 400D focus patter will stay active also with only original camera firmware.
It's like changing Av or Tv from ML and then restart the camera without it. Av and Tv will stay to what set with ML even without it.

And about nightly with the new selection method. They are now open to everybody to download so go and take a look at it if you feel adventurous  ;)

whyukon

Sorry for posting to an old thread, but I just figured out a quirk of Focus Patterns.  This tip may help someone else who may be having trouble getting FP to consistently work on a 60D.
I pretty much gave up on Focus Patterns, because I could only get it to activate about 1/2 the time. Today, I FINALLY figured out the problem. To be sure to be able to set your focus patterns, you must have your articulated screen visible.  By "visible", I don't mean on, I mean NOT CLOSED. If you close your screen so that it is facing inward (protected from scratches), then you will have a lot of trouble getting FP to work. When you turn on your camera, you will not be able to activate FP no matter what buttons you push (at least I was not able to).  Open your articulated screen (you may fold it back against the body if you wish, so long as it is visible), then turn on your camera. The directions will work; pushing "Set" will activate it, as it should.

Is this a bug that can be corrected?  I often shoot my 60D with the articulated screen closed, to protect it.