[INVALID] Canon T5i SoloShot2 Compatibility

Started by gh.productions, February 21, 2015, 02:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gh.productions

Are there any plans for SOLOSHOT2 Camera Controller firmware compatibility?

SoloShot2 compatibility would be an understatedly huge marketing benefit if added to the Magic Lantern feature set. Soloshot2 is the newer version of an automated camera operator tool that: automatically keeps your camera pointed at you using pan, tilt, zoom, record control, DSLR photo burst, time-lapse and even Astro Tracking. It cuts down on the need for cameramen and operator error.

I have Canon VIXIA HFS10 camcorders that have a fast enough focus response to benefit from Soloshot2's other capabilities, but their picture quality doesn't compare to that of my 3 new Canon T5i DSLRs. I am also waiting for full screen external monitor support for the Canon T5i, but that is another post...

For more info on SoloShot2 go to: http://www.soloshot.com/ or check out the YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVyYWy4dgc8

The current list of SoloShot2 supported cameras is found at: http://www.soloshot.com/help/cameracontrollerfirmware/

Walter Schulz

a1ex

There's no ETA for anything; this is a spare-time project.

And your device is already compatible with most Canon cameras:
http://www.soloshot.com/dslr-compatible-cameras/

gh.productions

Thank you for responding so quickly, and thank you guys for all your hard work. What you're doing is a massive undertaking, and we understand that time and waiting is of course part of the process. I think it's important to give you some of our hi$tory.

We are based in an area with lots of talent and growth potential that has been untapped for the most part.  We have been getting requests to work with everything from large performance bands, to clubs, houses of worship, and most recently a traveling theatre performance group. We already have a Presonus 32 channel digital audio recording interface, Mac Pro, and software for CD/DVD/BluRay mastering among other tools, and recently purchased 3 T5i's in one order. We use primarily Windows based audio & video recording software. However, we purchased an Intel based Apple Mac Pro because of it's options for expandability. At the time of it's purchase, Bootcamp (the Apple software that allows Windows to run on an Intel based Mac) was in it's beta stage. We had to wait 6months before Firewire would be supported, and we could use the Mac Pro for what we'd intended! Since that time, we have grown a large footprint in the state, which brings us to the current issue...

This is the link to the webpage just before the link/page you posted: http://www.soloshot.com/search/dslr

On that page there is a paragraph just above the paragraph listing DSL compatible cameras, entitled "DSLR CAMERA CONTROLLER", and is dated the same date as the DSLR compatibility list. It reads as follows:

"November 6, 2014 
Step 1: Download Download the most recent Camera Controller DSLR Firmware. Release Date: November 14th, 2014 Zip folder contains a file named 002.ss2   Release Notes Controls the shutter of a DSLR camera Does not control the zoom for focus ... "

This link further supports that there is only support for burst photography, and currently no zoom or focus compatibility for the Canon T5i: http://www.soloshot.com/help/faqs/#cameraController

We are requesting that options for zoom and focus compatibility be added. Sony has full compatibility for a slew of their cameras. Why should Canon compatibility be limited to burst photography? Thank you in advance for your time and effort to close the gap with other competitors. We would like to stay with Canon for our video needs. If the goal really is making "the ultimate open source camera", I would think this is an issue worth researching.

Walter Schulz

About mixing up:

- There is no marketing benefit because ML is not a product manufactured by a company. It's free and open source: There is no fee and everyone (with coding skills) can change ML's source code.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13335.msg128757#msg128757

- ML does not replace Canon's firmware. It runs pretty much like a program inside Windows/Mac OS. This is intentional and there are limits about the things ML will do. If Canon is not providing something it might be impossible to use it. Canon's IP won't be compromised. So: If there is no LANC support inside the code there is no use asking ML devs to add it. Disclaimer: I'm no developer and might be wrong about LANC functions in Canon's DSLR firmware.

- The part about creating the ultimate open source camera: This is not about ML, it's about Apertus Axiom. There are connections between ML devs and Apertus now. ML users are a bit diverted about. Some really, really like Axiom's approach but others are anxious it might interfere with ML's progress in a negative way.

To put it together: If you miss functions in Canon's DSLR cameras not within ML's scope you have to ask Canon.

a1ex

Also, this feature request is actually for SoloShot, not for us. Canon SDK already supports zoom and focus control, so there's nothing stopping them from implementing this feature.

gh.productions

We appreciate your prior response. I should hope to see this as a feature added in future developement. I'm sure we can all appreciate the value full SoloShot compatiblity would add to ML's feature set. There is also quite a bit of marketing benefit when ML users are allowed to make contribution$ to software developement, especially considering the client base this feature addresses. Given what we've invested thus far, there is no reservation for purchasing your software once our requested feature has been added.

I doubt any production  company would have a reservation purchasing software including this feature! Cutting production costs and training time associated with camera operators, while at the same time perfecting spot on zooming and subject tracking, not to mention the reduction of editting time in post,  is nothing short of "magic". We are presently capable of same day DVD production. On disk printing & packing is done prior to the event, once captured, uneditted video is added to a preset DVD menu, a master iso is burned to the ready and waiting pre printed blanks, and then made available immediately after via multi-drive duplicators. SoloShot compatibility and subject tracking partnered with a DSLR quality picture would assuredly give us access to next level clients we are aiming for, all while maintaining a same day turn around.

Who knows, full Soloshot compatiblity may already be in the works. If it isn't, Canon may well be developing their own automated camera operation system, assuming they haven't already.

Keep up the good work and best regards to the ML team!

Walter Schulz

Sorry, but which part in "free as in beer" escapes your mind?
You can't buy this software, you can't buy ML, you can't buy ML dev time, you can't buy anything offered for free.

Read it from my lips: T h e r e  i s  n o  p r i c e  t a g !

gh.productions

Mr. Schulz, we don't drink. That may be the root of our different perspectives. When a feature set is being promoted on a YouTube channel, that feature set is, in fact, being marketed. Adding SoloShot compatibility will no doubt help those efforts. It is surprising that there are no ML stockholders as of yet as the progress ML is making is commendable. We wish you nothing but the best should that become a future endeavor.

There is also a link at the bottom of the homepage (http://www.magiclantern.fm/) which allows for donations. So, it is a matter of interpretation as to whether ML is 'free'. I liken this option to going to church; although one doesn't have to buy a ticket for what's offered, it is understood that there will be an offertory appeal! After all, nothing, especially when related to time or technology, is ever totally free.

With that understanding, we will be making an initial contribution to ML's efforts, especially for helping steer us in the right direction. We especially thank you, a1ex, for your cordial (and very helpful) response. After writing SoloShot, they have advised that full functionality is in the works and to expect full SoloShot compatibility for DSLR cameras to begin roughly around the start of this summer. We are anticipating the update & hope this option will be compatible with future ML code.

Best regards to the ML team!

eduperez

Quote from: gh.productions on February 22, 2015, 05:24:15 AM
We are requesting that options for zoom and focus compatibility be added. Sony has full compatibility for a slew of their cameras. Why should Canon compatibility be limited to burst photography? Thank you in advance for your time and effort to close the gap with other competitors. We would like to stay with Canon for our video needs. If the goal really is making "the ultimate open source camera", I would think this is an issue worth researching.

Just out of curiosity (I am not a ML developer): you are requesting to add "zoom and focus compatibility"; if I understood your product, what you need is a mechanism to control focus and zoom from a device external to the camera, is it that? Now, considering that Canon zoom lenses do not have a motor to drive the zoom, how do you expect any software to be able to control it? Or did I miss something?