7D crop mode crashes and camera gets very hot

Started by kamranjon, February 22, 2015, 06:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamranjon

Hey there,

I have been shooting with the 7D in raw mode and also in crop mode at the same time, and it seems to crash very often. Have to remove the battery to get it to reset itself. The temperature readout got to 51 degrees, which seemed pretty hot to me.

The one thing I noticed was that if i go into crop mode, and then go into the ML menu and just exit back out, it seems not to crash and allowed me to shoot in crop mode. But if I don't do that it seems to consistently crash.

Here's what was in the crash file:

ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_VD_INTR_LV, NULL, 0 ) )
at LVState.c:485, task ?
lv:0 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2015Jan29.7D203
Mercurial changeset   : 703ee626326d (unified) tip
Built on 2015-01-28 23:30:43 UTC by [email protected].
Free Memory  : 200K + 2771K

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

Delete/backup contents of ML\Settings directory, adjust you settings again and retry.
If the error is present after this you may add more details: NTSC/PAL, frame rate, resolution, modules loaded and everything you changed in between. Just zip your ML\Settings directory, upload it and link it here.

kamranjon

So i deleted all my settings, and just loaded the modules I use - mlv_rec, mlv_play, mlv_sound - and it happened pretty quickly after having reset all of the settings.

Anyway here is a link to my zipped settings directory, hope it helps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0lBLjVLhm64YUd0ZjVjMDNWU0E/view?usp=sharing

Walter Schulz

Thanks. Will try and report back later this week.

Walter Schulz

Sorry, but I was occupied with some other issues.
About temperature: That's a design flaw and 7D is not the only DSLR affected.

Still unable to reproduce your crashes. Will retry this week.

Please tell me which steps works for you to force crashes.

so-rose

QuoteStill unable to reproduce your crashes.

@kamranjon I've been getting exactly this issue on my 7D, so I feel I should revive the thread. It happens on the newest and oldest builds alike:

CRASH00.LOG
ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_VD_INTR_LV, NULL, 0 ) )
at LVState.c:485, task ?
lv:0 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2015Aug19.7D203
Mercurial changeset   : 8d48d164e83a (unified) tip
Built on 2015-08-18 22:31:00 UTC by [email protected].
Free Memory  : 213K + 2686K

@Walter Schulz I have about 12 more similar log files from crashes, on a newer firmware as well (from March 29). I'll try to describe steps to reproduce as best as I can!  :)

• I shoot MLV's in 1080p crop, FPS Override at 24 (effectively 23.976). I have 64GB UDMA7 (160MB/s) SanDisk CF cards, both of which exhibit this issue.
  • I installed ML on both CF cards freshly the same day, using the August 19 build, zeroing them as I formatted to FAT.
  • It seems to happen when the camera turns off by itself; I awaken it, begin, and see ERR. It also seems to happen if the camera turns off, I turn it on, then off, then on. Three times fixes any issues.
  • It remains paused on 0:00 recording time, the indicator red as if it's filling the CF card, until it either freezes, showing the above error, or until the camera seemingly shuts off, displaying "ERR" on the top right.
  • I can fix the by taking out the battery, taking out the card, assembling it again, then turning it on, off, on, off, then on again (taking care to leave 5 seconds between each step). If any step is skipped, the issue persists indefinitely.
  • Global Draw was on. Did not get to test if turning it off helped.
  • Most of the time, recording functions fine. But seemingly if the camera is allowed to turn itself off, everything goes to hell.

I have no temperature issues. Tl;dr it seems to my untrained mind to be linked to the "auto-off" feature on the camera.

I hope a fix is possible! It's certainly a very debilitating issue (the director got pretty annoyed  ::) luckily we got the footage we needed)!!
convmlv - feed it your footage, it's safe I swear  -   http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16799.0

openlut - recoloring your day, lut by lut  -  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17820.0

a1ex

Can you try with global draw off, just to rule it out?

so-rose

@a1ex Absolutely! In fact, I did some thorough testing for you. You can scroll down to the conclusion if you wish!

Conditions:

• Global Draw was in LIVEVIEW mode (this is what is meant by ON), but "the works" (zebras, etc.) was turned off.
  • "the works" refers to features of Global Draw: Zebras (LumaFast, over 99%), Spotmeter (Percent, AFbox), Histogram (RAW RGB, Log), Waveform (Small)
  • I recorded at 2240x954 with an FPS override at 23fps.
  • Active Modules: mlv_rec, mlv_snd, mlv_play

I recorded before the auto-shutoff:

• Global Draw ON, ALLOW during recording: Works
  • Global Draw ON, DISALLOW during recording: Works

I recorded after the auto-shutoff, where I turned it off then on (sometimes this has issues, I think at least):

I let it auto-shutoff again, pressing a button to bring it back to life (not touching the power button):

At this point I tried turning on "the works" (simulating the conditions where it broke):

I let it auto-shutoff again, pressing a button to bring it back to life (not touching the power button). I activated "the works":

• Global Draw ON w/Features, DISALLOW during recording: Breaks

Clearly, it's the combination of LiveView Global Draw and either zebras, spotmeter, histogram, or waveform, inconjunction with auto-shutoff. All of which combine quite commonly in production situations!

For each broken test, I removed the battery, reinserted it after 5 seconds, then turned it on, off, on (modules loaded), off, on - as my instinct says resets any issues! Afterwards, I let it auto-shutoff for each test, then repeat for the next one:

• Global Draw ON w/Features, DISALLOW during recording, Zebras OFF: Breaks
  • Global Draw ON w/Features, DISALLOW during recording, Zebras OFF, Spotmeter OFF: Works
  • Global Draw ON w/Features, DISALLOW during recording, Zebras ON, Spotmeter OFF: Works
  • Global Draw ON w/Features, DISALLOW during recording, Zebras ON, Spotmeter ON: Breaks

So, my conclusion is this: The Spotmeter feature of Global Draw is responsible, in conjunction with 3x Crop recording after the 7D has auto-shutoff, for the issue. Personally, I'll never use Spotmeter again :) .

But I hope I've been able to illuminate where the bug is in a reproducible fashion!
convmlv - feed it your footage, it's safe I swear  -   http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16799.0

openlut - recoloring your day, lut by lut  -  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17820.0