Which camera to buy?

Started by amoghhlgr, February 20, 2015, 02:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amoghhlgr

I'm just starting out to be a filmmaker, and I have managed to accumulate just enough budget to buy a brand new 600d. I'm not new to DSLR or Raw recording, and I did some ML Raw videos on 600d before. But there were plenty of problems like the limited memory card speed that restricted the use of higher resolutions. So I just wanted to ask if 60D or any other camera close to that price range will have slightly better advantage than 600d when it comes to ML Raw.

budafilms

Andy600

For your budget (and if raw video is priority) you could get a 50D or, with some luck, you might find a used BM pocket cam on eBay. The 60d is much better than the 600d in terms of build quality but raw performance is the same.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

poromaa

I would go for the GH4 instead. If photography is not a priority.

Sorry, didn't really read it carefully. A 60D seems to be around 700USD + you'll need a fast memory card +100USD. so in total about 800USD.

I bought my Canon 5D mk2 "used" for half the price about 1 year after release (I think I got it for about 2000USD including som primes). I could really recommend looking for that option as well. I have seen some pretty nice GH4 packages (also 5Dmk2) (including extra batteries and memory cards) for around 1000USD. Maybe thats over budget, but then you can always look around for 60D package too.

Walter Schulz

60D card speed is limited to about 20 MByte/s. You can buy a fast card but it would be waste of money.

ThankMeLater

I would go for the 650/700D or the 50D.

I own both and they have their pros and cons.

50D :

+ Cheapest with CF Card Slot (With the komputerbay 1000x i get 83.5 mb/s write speed)
+ No further Crop in 1x mode. (on the 700d you loose some mm of your focal length)
+ great build quality
+ full 1080p in crop mode (I can record about 1 minute with 25fps)

- you only get a used one (might be a minus for some)
- cf cards are expensive ! But the komputerbays are worth it... about 70 Euro for a 64 GB one.
- no touch/flipscreen (you really need one for some shots ! otherwise you need an external monitor)
- no STM technology (not really a drawback imo)

650D / 700D :

+ flip/touch screen
+ STM
+ weight
+ Can do Videos without ML (Even though the Quality is not too great, it might be enough for you some shots ?)
+ Battery lasts longer while shooting raw (only my personal experience)

- Dots on footage (You need an extra work step to solve this in your editing)
- Card is limited to 40 MB/s write speed ! ( To make this clear: You can only shoot lower resolutions continuously. I haven't shot with my 700D for a while but i remember the highest resolution is a bit higher than 1280/720. This also means your focal length gets cropped even further ! Simply said you can only shoot a "smaller" picture. This is what i dislike most about the 700D. If you only shoot shorter clips - like 20 seconds f.e - you can go higher with the resolution and the problem with the focal length decreases.

Btw, this also disqualifies the 60D and all the non CF Card Canons, I don't know why someone should buy them for raw shooting and i would not have bought the 700D if I knew about raw before. If it is not only about raw shooting and other factors are important, well ok. But Raw = CF :)

___

Overall the 700D would probably be the better video camera, if it´s writing speed would not be that limited. this limitation of the 700D makes the 50D superior in my opinion.

Best,
TML

reddeercity

I agree with poromaa Look at 5D mark ii , I bought mine back in 2010 for ($4,600.0 with EF 24-70f2.8L)
Brand New and never regretted it for One second for h264 Video.

Now on Raw video I get a whole New Life with it , I can see myself using the 5D2 until 2020 at the very least.
Every thing on the 5d2 has been Stable for over a year now, it has proof even it's self to be ready for Daily Production Work in a Professional Setting
With rock solid HDMI Support, Near Full HD in Non Crop mode([email protected]) & Full HD(1920x1038) and 2K(2048x930, 2048x1024) in 3x Crop mode (as long as you have 1000x CF Card 1066X Much better)
Link to possible  Frame Resolutions I wrote for the 5d2 -->http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11205.msg136460#msg136460

I'm staring to see Used 5D2 bodies for around $900 - $1200.0 Canadian.
Check this out , This add on kijiji 5D2 with CF Cards that's been Shooting Raw Video!($1,100.00)
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/calgary/canon-5d-mark-ii-w-original-box-battery-charger-etc/1051037498?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Just my thoughts on the topic  ;D

budafilms

Nikon?
Never understood what is cinema look.
Forget it.