t2i different white balance on viewfinder vs. lcd screen, please help

Started by Bubbakron, February 20, 2015, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbakron

When I take a pic with the viewfinder then take same pic through the lcd screen, there seems to be a difference in the white balance. Its very frustrating and I would really like to fix it.   Any help would be appreciated.

Canon t2i using magic lantern

Thank You

PaulHarwood856

Hello Bubbakron! My name is Paul Harwood. The viewfinder will be the same always. This is where you look through the camera to set focus points, get your focus, and so forth. This is mainly for photography. For video, you should look at the lcd screen. The lcd screen shows what your current white balance is for video. You can set the lcd screen for photography by pushing the live view button. Make sure you are in M mode or whichever photography mode you are in. If it is a viewfinder you prefer (shooting style) for video, there are viewfinders you can purchase to attach to your camera for videography. These can be super helpful for hot days where the lcd is hard to see. I hope this helps, and please let me know if it doesn't. I will try to help as best as I can. Hope all is well!

Bubbakron

Hi, thanks for the reply.  Sorry my question was not more clear :).    The white balance is different on the actual picture when looked at on the computer through the sim card. It is definitely  a problem.    The lcd screen and viewfinder should yield the same picture.     Why in the exact same settings would the viewfinder and lcd mode give a different white balance on the final raw or jpeg file delivered to the sim card?

Thank You

Walter Schulz

Bubbakron

Walter Schulz

Does it happen using longer exposures, too? Talking about 1/10 or longer.
Does it happen in daylight, too?

PaulHarwood856

Ok I understand. What picture style are you using? Not sure if this matters, but if you use standard for your jpegs, then the jpegs will be well reflected. The editing comes in then for the raw images. You can also try resetting all of your settings. This will remove custom picture styles, but this could possible resolve the problem. Maybe try uninstalling Magic Lantern and see if this is a Canon problem as well?

Walter Schulz

Paul, you have to explain why a picture style of any kind might cause this error when used all the time. Picture style in both pics he provided is "Faithful".

EDIT: Okay, did some testing with my 650 and found my usual suspect. Maybe he is yours, too.

Took a number of photos and varied some parameters.
1,2: 1/80, sRGB, ML active, Liveview Off/On
3,4: 1/80, aRGB, ML active, Liveview Off/On
5,6: 1/80, sRGB, ML inactive, Liveview Off/On
7,8: 1/80, aRGB, ML inactive, Liveview Off/On
9,10: 1/8, sRGB, ML active, Liveview Off/On
11,12: 1/8, aRGB, ML active, Liveview Off/On
13,14: 1/8, sRGB, ML inactive, Liveview Off/On
15,16: 1/8, aRGB, ML inactive, Liveview Off/On

ColorChecker as target, tripod used and one light source (Halogen lamp, 50 Hertz).

Imported all to Lightroom and sent each pair to Photoshop as layers. Used mode "Difference" on one layer and the results:
Sets taken with 1/80 show some difference but no consistent results. Sets taken with 1/8 are just black.

Makes me wonder what kind of light source you're using. LED?

Bubbakron

Wow, you guys are amazing.  It was just a florescent ceiling light.