2k RAW Music Video with 600D (T3i)

Started by JADURCA, February 19, 2015, 03:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JADURCA

Camara: Canon EOS 600D (T3i)
Resolution: 2048x872 (6 seconds at this resolution)
Frame Rate: 12 fps
Aspect Ratio 2.35:1
Sigma 17-50 mm f/2.8 lens

Magic Lantern version: Nightly.2015Jan29.600D102
Used Twixtor, to recreate the other 12 frames.
Processed with Sony Vegas Pro 13 using h.264 and down-scaled to 1080p @ 24 fps.

kamranjon

Oh man using twixtor for this is genius, looks great too!

dubzeebass

How do you use twixtor in this way? Can you post a screenshot of your settings?

JADURCA

DeafEyeJedi

Interesting way of using Twixtor via your Settings...

Although I'm not a big fan of Twixtor but sometimes it can be handy for some scenes.

Thanks for sharing @JADURCA!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

JADURCA

Thanks DeafEyeJedi!! I know you'd do the same for me!

I was reading a lot in this forum about recording RAW with Canon cameras. All about resolutions (1x - 3x mode) vs. recording time in seconds. It looks like the 7D is the winner taking into account price, resolution and the fast recording storage. What's your opinion?

Jotys

What was your shutter speed setting for this shoot on 12 fps

JADURCA

Here Jotys!!! I was no paying much attention to the shutter values. Some are 1/50, 1/100, 1/500 and even 1/50. I was focused on a balanced exposure using more the aperture.

Jotys

OK I am I am trying this on 700D but it won't allowed me to set the resolution higher than 1728 x 972 16:9 or in any Aspect ratio FPS override  12 fps. Nightly2015Feb20. Getting message 2048 is not possible in current video mode (max 1728). Am I doing something wrong? 

DeafEyeJedi

@JADURCA:

I'm actually happy with all of my cameras...

Preferably 5D3 (obviously) along with the M being the worst (just can't use it on paid gig's but do use it for non-work related stuff to keep the shutter count down on others like kids sports games, etc) but I do enjoy the crop sensor of the 7D for certain situations and I also enjoy using FRSP more or so than the 5D3 for some reason.

I guess I can be a bit strange at times...

JADURCA

Jotys, you need to first press the magnifiaction button one time (5X) then resolution goes up in ML options and then record like that! We call it RAW Crop Mode!

Note: The framing is going to be different and recording is going to be on a factor of 3x, for instance, if you have your lens at 18 mm then is like having a 54 mm perspective. Hope This helps!

JADURCA

DeafEyeJedi, what FRSP stands for? I mainly speak spanish and don't know that acronym.

kamranjon

Hey Jadurca, I have a 7D. I think the 7D is more buggy than most other cameras because of its dual processor, I don't think it is as mature. I have had mine overheat and crash quite a bit, but it is definitely useable. The CF card cameras are the winners for sure.

Jotys

JADURCA thanks for explanation. New trick learned

JADURCA

kamranjon, So you think 7D is not a good camara after all? Are you recording RAW and audio at the same time?

kamranjon

I am, you can see an example here with audio and crop mode being used:

https://vimeo.com/120260188

I think it's a great camera, but less stable than the other cf card cameras that are being supported at this time.

DeafEyeJedi

@JADURCA:

FRSP = Full Res Silent Photos

JADURCA

kamranjon, nice video!!! It gives the nostalgic fell that something is old, worn out and forgotten.

JADURCA

Thanks DeafEyeJedi!!! I didn't know the existence of FRSP mode, but now that I know I thing is an advantage to take pictures without making any sound at all. Cool!

DeafEyeJedi

Not just sounds...

It saves the life of the body by NOT using the shutter.

Though IMO it comes with its own flaws but the pro's definitely outweigh the con's.

Especially for timelapse...

[emoji2]

JADURCA

True!! Shutter count is the life of a camara.

Right know I'm reading about Dual ISO around the forum. Another new one for me!  :o

But it looks that it introduces aliasing problems and moire. Great dynamics but no good after all...

DeafEyeJedi

And that's when the 2.5k crop-mode (5D3) comes in to make Dual-ISO Even better! (Less Moire and literally almost no aliasing)

[emoji108]

JADURCA

Reads so good the 2.5k!! :o

How many seconds can be recorded at 2.5k crop-mode with a 5D3?

Does 7D have Dual-ISO too?

wyrlyn

JADURCA, what are your project settings in Vegas? (framerate, etc)

extremelypoorfilmaker

JADURCA mate, Thank you A LOT for this trick! I am gonna definitely use it at some point.. i think i will even get myself an 8mm lens to use in crop mode, thanks to your inventive! :)

This community never cease me to amaze me and makes me everyday happier to have joined in!!

JADURCA

@extremelypoorfilmaker

Is all about sharing experiences and new findings! It give purpose to this life!!  :)

JADURCA

@wyrlyn

First, when you import your 12 fps RAW image sequence you tell Vegas, that you got 24 fps in the settings and not 12. Why? Because when you add Twixtor plug in it recreates the other 12 frames and then you got 24. Then before rendering you must make your clip longer twice. For instance, if your clip originally takes 100 frames then when you stretch it you got 200 frames in the timeline. Why? Because thanks to Twixtor, you got twice the frames now! Finally render using an intermediate codec with a sub-sampling of 4:2:2. Done!

wyrlyn

thanks for the explanation JADURCA now I get it!

kamranjon

7D has dual-iso for still photos, but not for video yet

0oyoungoneo0

Hey @Jadurca and anyone,
   I'm a newbie. I was wondering what kind of card did you use (class 10? 20 mb/s?, etc.?)? How long can you record for? I did a lot of internet searching and read up so much answers. LOL. Thanks in advance. Have a good one.

JADURCA

@ 0oyoungoneo0 - I used a 10 Class SD card. The process is a headache and not proper for filming a project. I were just experimenting. I even sold my 600D and bought a 5DM3.

Walter Schulz

Take care. "Class 10" is a very outdated classification just telling the card should write large files with at least 10 MByte/s. 600D's limit is about 21 MByte/s.
Another specification doing no good is something like "80 MB/s". In most cases this is only valid for reading and nothing can be said about write performance.

Benchmark runs with tools like CrystalDiskMark, ATTO or ML's own may tell another story. And be sure the card you want to buy is the one tested. There may be harsh differences among cards with different sizes. Lexar's 800x CF-cards may serve as an example. 32 GB -> 45 MByte/s. 64 GB -> 77 MByte/s.

And always benchmark your cards after purchase. Faked cards are widely spread and may be in stock from companies considered to be trustworthy, too.

JADURCA

@ Walter Schulz - True! Companies always shows readings speeds (marketing reasons maybe?) on the card label, so costumers see a higher number. But in reality writing speeds are more important for us to know.