T3i v2.3 ML audio meters inaccurate

Started by k9, February 18, 2015, 12:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

k9

I need help! I have had magic lantern v2.3 on my t3i for a few months now and I love it, but my audio meter does not seem to be working properly. I set my microphone to Manuel and set the volume so that when I snap in front of the mic get is at about 0db. Then I go out of the canon menu and start to record but when I snap the ml meters do not seem to even recognize the sound (and when it does the sound is not register anywhere near 0db.) I set up my audio recorder so that it worked as another audio meter. I set it up so that it was not effecting the sound. and it seemed to mach up with the canon menu's audio meter, so I know the problem is ml. What should I do...is this even the right place to post a question like this? Sorry I am new to the forum.   

PaulHarwood856

Hello k9 my name is Paul Harwood. There should be an Audio Override Settings option to turn on for your 600D. If not, I would download the latest version of nightly builds (stability is fine) and drop the files from the nightly into the files on your memory card. Make sure to select "Replace Clips". After, you will now be able to turn off AGC, have Audio Gain, Mic Gain, Headphone monitoring, headphone volume, speaker volume. It's generally a lot better to use nightly builds vs V2.3. If you are using a separate recorder you might be able to get a cable from Sescom (BHPhotoVideo has these) which will allow you to connect your external recorder directly to your camera. This allows you to record the recorder's audio into the H.264 file as well as a separate wav file for backup. You can buy, now with the nightly builds, the T2i headphone monitoring cable as well if you have a mic you wanted to use with the T3i, or just to simply monitor audio in real time. Another option is to use Plural Eyes, which will sync your recorder's audio to your dslr audio in post production. You can do this manually as well, and if you have Premiere Pro Creative Cloud, you can synchronize right in the post production workflow. Definitely try Override audio settings turned on. I had trouble with my T3i showing the audio meters and this seemed to fix the problem. I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, if I was unclear with something, let me know, and I'll try to explain it better. Thanks for posting k9!

k9

Paul Harwood thank you so much for the reply. I think I made a mistake when explaining my problem. I can see the magic lantern audio meters but they do not properly show the sound being recorded. I can be snapping right in front of the mic and it should be peeking but the bars do not move up and if they do, they never go anywhere near the peeking point. So in short, I have the magic lantern function, but it is not functioning properly. I have tried uninstalling ml and reinstalling it, but that did not fix my problem.

PaulHarwood856

You are welcome k9! I think I know the problem. Grab your T3i, and navigate to the Canon menu. You might have to push the info button to get out of Magic Lantern. Check Sound Recording. Is it on manual? If so, check to see if the cursor is too low. You can see the audio meters with decibels. People sometimes will move the cursor to the left so it is just up one notch (before muted). They then choose audio gain or mic gain (or maybe both) in the override audio settings in Magic Lantern Nightly build firmware (added to the original V2.3). You can also try setting this to automatic, and see how the audio meters are. I am not too sure if Magic Lantern would override the Automatic sound recording setting on the Canon menu. This is why I would suggest keeping your sound recording on manual for the Canon menu. Navigating from Manual to Automatic and back to Manual might reset the sound problem in your T3i. Please let me know if any of this helps, and if it doesn't, we'll keep trying to figure it out!

LU72

Try recording a clip, you'll see the audio meters working. I joined the forum to ask the same question for my T3i and while I was waiting for the verification email, I discovered that the meters started working as soon as I hit the record button (they are inactive when the camera is not recording anything).

EDIT: Since I posted this, I upgraded 2.3 to the latest nightly and the meters are working perfectly. You just need to select the appropriate input (internal if you're using just the cam's mic). There are various options for gain as well, solid work!
600D (T3i), Vivitar Battery Grip, Sigma 17-70C, Canon 10-18 EF-S, Canon 1.8 50mm STM II, Sigma 70-300 APO, Speedlite 430 exII