Canon 40D

Started by dichterDichter, July 18, 2012, 08:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heder

RAW video on 40D:

The only good use case I have found for RAW video on the 40D is HD'ish timelapses. Around ~ 1920 x 844 can be used for timelapses, not too bad for such and old camera.  RAW video "as in" 24-30 fps is'nt really any good due to limited CF bandwidth.  Ant123 is working with 450D trying to create a mjpeg recorder, which would be the best option to get 24 fps video on 450D/40D.
... some text here ..

Dezmond2

Expo settings don't work in ML. Changed ML digital ISO not have effect to exposure.
Expo sim enabled in Canon menu. Live view active.

heder

Quote from: Dezmond2 on July 22, 2020, 08:34:09 PM
Expo settings don't work in ML. Changed ML digital ISO not have effect to exposure.

Hi Dezmond2

Thanks for reporting that.  Do you know if this problem is only in photo or liveview or both ?

... some text here ..

mrb

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 22, 2020, 08:14:56 AM
See heder's reply #542

Which are - generally speaking - crap.
Most likely performance is far from modern standards. Should not be a concern with 40D which is - according to heder's experiments - limited to around 20 MByte/s bandwidth.
A more serious problem exists supporting boot from card. Some adapters are not able to act like bootable CF-cards, rendering them pretty useless for Magic Lantern.
You may want to test this with an ML-supported cam hosting CF slot (7D, 5D2, 5D3).

According to Kingston this card should do 45 MByte/s in write mode.

Take a decent cardreader with CF slot ( www.cameramemoryspeed.com -> Reviews -> Card readers) and do some benchmark runs with tools like CrystalDiskMark (Windows) or Blackmagic Disk Speed Test (macOS).

20 MByte/s translates to around 720p25 for raw/MLV using lossless compression.

I have actually been able to use the magic lantern beta build for the 40d with the cf card adapter. I don't really know how to benchmark the actual read write speeds from the camera, but I definetly am able to use the card with no real issues to speak of yet. Thanks by the way about the timeline on video support. I guess thats where things still stand; I was wondering if I missed something.

I am very thankful to all for the support on this old camera haha. I was able to use "EOS camera movie record" to livestream to my laptop and record video that way, but the framerate is still quite choppy so it will be interesting to see what can be done once I can actually record directly to the CF slot. I suppose just recording the audio with my cellphone this could actually be a really nice solution for video if I can figure it out. I picked up a vintage f1.2 50mm lens and have been impressed with the quality so far. Sure beats recording with anything else I own. : )

Dezmond2

Both

Dezmond2

Quote from: heder on July 23, 2020, 09:58:11 AM
Do you know if this problem is only in photo or liveview or both ?
description "This feature only works in LiveView"

Dezmond2

Quote from: heder on July 23, 2020, 09:58:11 AM
Hi Dezmond2
Can you share raw file with non standart ISO...50 or more than 3200 ?

heder

I dont know, i will investigate, bulb also sttopped working in the lastest  beta.
... some text here ..

heder

Open beta updated to 1.0.4.

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1452.msg224594#msg224594

Fixed: prop request change bug

I introduced a bug in 1.0.1  ::). This bug disabled changing ISO,shutter,White balance,
bulb,Expo lock... and many other features.
... some text here ..

heder

Try 1.0.4.

Quote from: Dezmond2 on July 28, 2020, 03:05:10 PM
Can you share raw file with non standart ISO...50 or more than 3200 ?

The only values I found in firmware were 100,200,400,800,1600,3200. I tried to acticate 6400,12800 but the camera crashed. All other non standard values (125,160....) must then be digital ISO amplification from the standard ISO. Lowest ISO 100, highest 3200.
... some text here ..

Dezmond2

Quote from: heder on July 29, 2020, 06:55:36 PM
Try 1.0.4.

The only values I found in firmware were 100,200,400,800,1600,3200. I tried to acticate 6400,12800 but the camera crashed. All other non standard values (125,160....) must then be digital ISO amplification from the standard ISO. Lowest ISO 100, highest 3200.
Now expo settings work, also ISO 2500 - not available in Canon menu. 125, 160 and etc is present in Canon menu, i mostly shot in ISO 160 with stock FW

heder

Ok, good to know, I never realized 2500 was hidden i stock FW. I will disable 6400,12800 in next beta.
... some text here ..

Ant123

@heder
How does this mode look in QEMU?

heder

@Ant123

The image your are refering too is saved inside LiveView. AFAIK liveview does not work correctly in QEMU. The simulator does not emulate hardware correctly and the liveview only tries to run but stalls due to timeout or similar, once a while you'll get the QEMU EDMACs trying to tranfer data to canons FW. All you get drawn is canons liveview stuff, but ML overlay does not get drawn. Here is 40D 

... some text here ..

heder

OPen beta updated to 1.0.5

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1452.msg224594#msg224594

Compiler

• Compiler changed from 4.7-2014q2 to 5.4-2016q3

Changes

• (fix) Disable bogus ISO values 6400/12800
  • (fix) Temperatures now correctly visible (debug menu)
  • (fix) Included missing call _ml_cbr_init()
  • (fix) Config is now loaded at startup
  • (fix) ML Restore options now for correctly
  • (mlv) Used cache-hack to force RAW video transfers in on each frame and other minor issues (raw.c,mlv_lite.c,...)
  • (mlv) White balance EDMAC5 hijacked (cache-hack) while recording RAW video

Modules

• basic mlv_lite module running 8)

For optimal usage:   

=> Disable global draw
  => Enabled "use small hacks" (mlv_lite)
  => Convert the mlv file (using mlv_dump.exe) and load this new mlv file into MlvApp and use RAW blacklevel around 800-900

The mlv lite module on the 40D is targeted motion time lapses - not real time video (due to limited bandwidth to the CF card).
The mlv_lite module can be used to record time lapses in (x1) or in zoom mode at (x5/x10) 1920x804 (1:2.39) at around 6 fps.
If you want to record at 24 fps you get a little less than VGA size.       

Known issues:   

• If you get an EDMAC errors when starting, just restart liveview
  • If you inverted colors, shifted image, noisy image, just restart liveview.
  • You might get 1 corrupted frames in the beginning of the video
  • Digital ISO gain not working.

I only had the time to create one video in x1 mode:

... some text here ..

heder

... some text here ..

nikfreak

nice work for this oldtimer. You put a lot of efforts in this port and as you are already familar with QEMU I would like to ask if you only plan to work on ML for 40D? maybe some DIGIC6/7/8 port next (once this got finished)?
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

heder

Quote from: nikfreak on August 24, 2020, 08:38:45 PM
nice work for this oldtimer. You put a lot of efforts in this port and as you are already familar with QEMU I would like to ask if you only plan to work on ML for 40D? maybe some DIGIC6/7/8 port next (once this got finished)?

Yep, thats the plan.

The only issue is time, I hope I can set aside the 40D somewere in 2021, and start using my time in a different platform. Just need to finish video recording and do some bug fixes.
... some text here ..

imme

Hi,

Heder Thanks a lot for your efforts and bringing Magic Lantern to 40d. I left checking 40d Magic Lantern port thread a long time ago. There were many people who started working on it but left incomplete. Thanks a lot that a genius person like you made it reality.

Emaad

heder

Hi imme

Thank you for your kind words. Currently im working on Ant123s mjpeg video module, and this morning I finally got it running in 1024x680x24fps continuesly, very high quality. Im working on releasing the first version of this module next month.
... some text here ..

Theta Sigma

imme

Hi Heder,

1024x680x24fps  woooww

I used this software to record video from 40d  https://sourceforge.net/projects/eos-movrec/  and I was sure that one day someone will enable this feature in camera via Magic Lantern.

Danne

Quote from: heder on September 26, 2020, 11:30:44 AM
Hi imme

Thank you for your kind words. Currently im working on Ant123s mjpeg video module, and this morning I finally got it running in 1024x680x24fps continuesly, very high quality. Im working on releasing the first version of this module next month.
Awesomeness.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: heder on September 26, 2020, 11:30:44 AM
I finally got it running in 1024x680x24fps continuesly, very high quality. Im working on releasing the first version of this module next month.

Is 1024x680 in x5 Mode? I mean . . we can expand the preview already :D

Waiting the good news, pretty nice!

heder

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on September 30, 2020, 02:35:29 PM
Is 1024x680 in x5 Mode? I mean . . we can expand the preview already :D

Waiting the good news, pretty nice!

1024x680 in X1 but ...

The mjpeg module compresses the internal YUV422 image. Changing the preview / liveview register will not change the internal YUV size. My rask is to reallocate the YUV buffers, make the CMOS and adtg register correct so 1 raw pixel = 1 YUV pixel. None have done that AFAIK. I need to freeze preview, change All YUV buffers, possibly change CMOS,adtg egister settings, change jpeg core registers, .. and ..  headache  :o
... some text here ..