Canon 40D

Started by dichterDichter, July 18, 2012, 08:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyrobb

AOK

Quote from: a1ex on December 23, 2017, 09:39:29 AM
Good news - 40D boots the GUI in QEMU, just like most other EOS models!
Also compiled ML from the rufustfirefly repository and got a half-working Space Invaders clone (menu appears when pressing delete, navigation keys are working, fonts don't seem to work):
Happy hacking!

Lovely! MORRAL KOMBAT is next! :)))

Joke aside! This is a great news! After all these years it would be lovely to have a working 40D with advanced functions available. Even though my 40 D got so broken to the point its repair cost is the same as buying a second hand 40D. But I've got a friend who's hobby is photography and he got the same body.

I hope for the best! :)

Konrad

The last screen looks a bit odd - how does it look on a real camera?

Thanks a1ex!

Here's photo of my 40d's info screen:

Theta Sigma

Beautiful. You are wonderful people. :)

R

The last screen looks a bit odd - how does it look on a real camera?

Here's mine.

ilex

a year ago my 50D eos where I had installed ML crashed and since then I'm using the old 40D, although I miss not being able to enjoy ML. Is there anyone who's managed to get ML running on the 40D? Thank you in advance

a1ex

The closest thing I could find is reply #379 - that provides some good hints on how to get started, and a changeset ID that is known to work, to some extent.

Next stops:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=991
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/qemu/contrib/qemu/README.rst

ilex

Thank you A1ex for your information and time. Unfortunately, my knowledge does not allow me to perform the tasks recommended in the posts. I will have to wait until some member can upload an operational version for the 40D  :'(. Greetings

Theta Sigma

I started to think this might happen before the 80D was cracked, but it looks that's a bit more lively at the moment.

Are the issues wholly different, or is the primary roadblock common to both efforts?

a1ex

This one is quite straightforward (anyone can follow a tutorial, sit down and debug ML). I've already provided and documented the tools for that.

The only roadblock is finding a 40D owner interested in porting ML on this camera (maybe you?), rather than waiting for someone else.

Don't expect a new port from me; these old models are very low on my priority list. I'm just making sure others have the tools they need to port ML, that's all.

Theta Sigma

Quote from: a1ex on May 02, 2018, 08:55:04 PM
This one is quite straightforward (anyone can follow a tutorial, sit down and debug ML). I've already provided and documented the tools for that.

The only roadblock is finding a 40D owner interested in porting ML on this camera (maybe you?), rather than waiting for someone else.

Don't expect a new port from me; these old models are very low on my priority list. I'm just making sure others have the tools they need to port ML, that's all.

If you want to PM me the steps and risks involved, I might be able to help in that regard.

tensiondriven

Hi All,

I have a Canon 40D and am somewhat technical, I would be happy to invest a few hours testing with the advice of someone who knows the deeper development side.

Really looking forward to getting a distributable build working for the 40D, even if it doesn't have *all* the features!

Jonathan

Theta Sigma

Just curious if anyone has made progress in the last seven months, or if things stand as before?

acasta

Hi, I recently got interested in ML and would like to make something of it on my old 40D...
I'm still looking around in the forum and trying to understand how code is organized, but I'm also stuck with the preliminary step of rom dump.
I tried the portable dumper (DUMP_40D.FIR) with 4 different CF cards, also old ones with 256 MB capacity, but it does not seem to work: the MD5 for ROM1.BIN is different each time (even if the check with PC always succeeds).
I was wondering if anyone had success with DUMP_40D.FIR and could suggest anything...
Otherwise I'll have to try what previously described in this thread, but that I'll need some more work to be ready with that...

a1ex

That's probably alright - Canon firmware reflashes the ROM at every shutdown, to save their settings. If you compare the two ROMs, you will see differences only in the settings area (not in the executable code).

To get the same MD5 every time, you need to avoid starting the main Canon firmware between the two attempts (i.e. just run the dumper twice, possibly on different cards, without booting the camera normally in-between).

acasta

Ok, I see, I'll check that.
Thank you A1ex!

acasta

I checked out the vxworks branch (commit 18ac6b0, the last one on that branch) and tried to build ML for the 40D.
I am on Win7 + Cygwin at the moment and did:

cd platform/40D.111
make zip

Many modules were not built, other modules had comments such as "Will not load on 40D".
In the end I have a zip named magiclantern-Nightly.2019Jul28.40D111.zip containing, among the rest, the following modules:

$ ls -l
total 1028
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...  33118 Jul 28 15:58 40D_111.sym
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...  21828 Jul 28 16:03 adv_int.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...  11816 Jul 28 16:03 arkanoid.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...  17800 Jul 28 16:03 autoexpo.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...  18068 Jul 28 16:03 bench.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...   7632 Jul 28 16:03 deflick.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...  11636 Jul 28 16:03 dot_tune.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...  15488 Jul 28 16:03 dual_iso.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ... 324544 Jul 28 16:03 edmac.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...  28240 Jul 28 16:03 ettr.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...  14600 Jul 28 16:03 file_man.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ... 304104 Jul 28 16:03 lua.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...  42224 Jul 28 16:03 mlv_lite.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...  44372 Jul 28 16:03 mlv_play.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...  62596 Jul 28 16:03 mlv_rec.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...   5772 Jul 28 16:03 pic_view.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...  30576 Jul 28 16:03 raw_rec.mo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ...  22028 Jul 28 16:03 silent.mo

This is my very first attempt to build ML: would you please let me know if I'm on the right track, or is there anything evidently broken?

I have disassembled my ROM dump, my next step would be trying to understand more about stubs...

heder

Hi acasta

I'm joining in the fight to get ML running on the 40D.

The modules that "Will not load on 40D" should not have been put into your zip file I think, it looks like you get all modules in the zip file (17 out of 17 in the Makefile.modules.default).
Might be a cygwin issue (?). Compiling on a new installed ubuntu server, for 40.111/vxworks branch I get only 3 modules in my zip file:

• arkaniod
  • file_man
  • pic_view

All other modules do compile, but throws a "Will not load on 40D" and "../../modules/Makefile.modules:64: recipe for target '<module>dep' failed" on my platform.
Most of the modules are missing functions not implemented. Regardless of what - if you try to load a module with a symbol missing it just won't load so is not that big a issue.
... some text here ..

acasta

Thank heder  :)
At the moment I'm struggling a bit to build QEMU on Cygwin.
I had to modify configure_eos.sh to make it use the right compiler and then some dependecies were missing.
Now I get some compiler errors that I still have to analyze...

Indeed, building this on Cygwin is apparently not so well supported and some problems could be because of that. But I can't use WSL at the moment.

acasta

...too many problems with Cygwin  :o
I switched to an Ubuntu VM and everything went smoother and much faster.

heder

Finally got abit of work done  ;). Took sometime because I had to deal with all kinds of other issues,
mainly qemu+gtk+vncserver not understanding my keys correctly, so I finally switched to sdl,
eventhou that removes the possiblity for me to see console.

Anyways :) a couple of fresh screenshots, now it's possible to see menu's .. ect.

... some text here ..

kitor

Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

ilex

helinhof

Here wishing luck for the peeps with the necessary knowledge, this will be an awesome budget camera with focus peaking and basic video  :)

heder

I could'nt get fonts working, properly due to incorrect qemu / cf access or similar. None of the FIO funktions work.I got a bunch of cf card errors in qemu. I decided to do a quick
and dirty hack for now and use "xdd --include" to include the fonts as data and load then internally. Now everything looks like they should
(atleast for now). 

Then I tried to load this version into the camera, nothing happened  :(. The camera did light up with the red led for a long time, and the camera worked just fine,
but no ML when pressing trash can button. 

... some text here ..