Canon 40D

Started by dichterDichter, July 18, 2012, 08:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplxpto

In recent days I and G3gg0 have invested some time trying to change the boot process.
The idea is to do something similar to what has already been done for other cameras.

The G3gg0 have helped me a lot ... it also has many technical skills and is an excellent 'colleague';)

Thank you G3gg0.

jplxpto

I've done some testing in order to use PTP to transfer ML for my camera.

To perform the tests sometimes need to constantly insert and remove the card ...
I've done it dozens or hundreds of times.
I want to make this task easier and increase the life of the CF connector of my camera.

Faxe

Quote from: jplxpto on October 19, 2012, 03:03:59 PM
I want to make this task easier and increase the life of the CF connector of my camera.

It isn't easier, but have you thought about an SD to CF converter? I know they exist, but not sure how they would work with ML. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/29819778 looks a little suspicious in terms of 40D, but that was in 2008... If it worked it would at least remove the strain on your CF connector.

jplxpto

Quote from: Faxe on October 19, 2012, 03:15:38 PM
It isn't easier, but have you thought about an SD to CF converter? I know they exist, but not sure how they would work with ML. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/29819778 looks a little suspicious in terms of 40D, but that was in 2008... If it worked it would at least remove the strain on your CF connector.

I'll see that...

Thank you

g3gg0

n/p, you are welcome ;)

check your mail, i sent you a new version.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

jplxpto

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 19, 2012, 09:24:28 PM
n/p, you are welcome ;)

check your mail, i sent you a new version.

Thank you G3 ...

jplxpto

More some stubs for 40d v1.1.1 :

NSTUB(0xFFD427B0, register_interrupt)
NSTUB(0xFFC8DF90, SIO3_ISR)
NSTUB(0xFFC8DEC8, MREQ_ISR)

jplxpto

Hello everybody.

I come here today to inform you that I finally able change the boot process in 40D.
Now I use the cache_hacks.

I have to thank once again the A1ex and G3gg0.
They have many skills and have helped me a lot.

If you wish you can see my changes in:
https://bitbucket.org/jplxpto/magic-lantern/changeset/af731ecd17a42f0714f0f9f4d13383ba073a604f

g3gg0

you got it working? nice, good job!
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

silverfirebird

I own a 40D, and I look forward to seeing this! I also own a Rebel T3i with Magic Lantern installed, and it works great. I'm eager to see what this port has to offer! ;D
40D | 600D | 5D MkII | Sigma 17-70 OS | 18-55 IS II | 55-250 IS | 50mm 1.8 II

jplxpto

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 21, 2012, 10:10:54 AM
you got it working? nice, good job!

Without your valuable help I would never have succeeded.

Thank you.

Polanin

Hi
I'm just another guy who is keeping fingers crossed for this port.
I have 40D with firmware 1.0.8. (not updated yet) so if any testing on this firmware is needed you can sign me in.

jplxpto

Quote from: Polanin on October 21, 2012, 11:39:27 PM
Hi
I'm just another guy who is keeping fingers crossed for this port.
I have 40D with firmware 1.0.8. (not updated yet) so if any testing on this firmware is needed you can sign me in.

I'm working with the latest version available ... 1.1.1. I advise you to update the firmware of your camera. see page of the canon ... is simple and fast.

nanomad

And, unless I'm mistaken, you can always roll-back to an older fw version
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

jplxpto

Quote from: nanomad on October 22, 2012, 10:42:53 AM
And, unless I'm mistaken, you can always roll-back to an older fw version

I already did rollback to version 1.0.8 just to create a dump :)

jplxpto

dor1847

hi, 40D owner here :)

i've been searching some information about a version of ML for the 40D for months and today i stumbled upon this thread..

i signed in just to say that you guys are doing an amazing job!
unfortunately, im not very familiar with all this programming stuff so the only thing i can do is waiting for you to finish working on it :D
if there is anything i can do to help you guys with the project that does not involve taking a risk of bricking my cam (its my only one) ill be glad to do it!

i hope to hear some good news soon!

Good Luck :)

samacochan

Quote from: dor1847 on October 26, 2012, 09:44:53 PM

i've been searching some information about a version of ML for the 40D for months and today i stumbled upon this thread..

unfortunately, im not very familiar with all this programming stuff so the only thing i can do is waiting for you to finish working on it :D
if there is anything i can do to help you guys with the project that does not involve taking a risk of bricking my cam (its my only one) ill be glad to do it!

A donation will be a good gesture of support.

jplxpto

Quote from: dor1847 on October 26, 2012, 09:44:53 PM

Thanks for your eulogy.

My friend, everything in life has its risks. Currently, I just got this camera. If you ever want to try ML in your camera will have to take the risk. They may be very low, but there will always be a risk associated with it.

jplxpto

Quote from: samacochan on October 27, 2012, 03:48:19 PM
A donation will be a good gesture of support.

I'm perfectly in accordance with your comment.

jplxpto

Hi,

My work on this project continues. I've made some progress.

I have been trying to use the PTP and GDB in 40D.

1) With the help of g3gg0 and their fantastic cache hacks I managed to change the boot of the 40D. This may solve some legal problems.

2) I've able register the operations of ML & CHDK but this subject is not yet closed. I still have some unresolved issues.

I've done some tests but still can not debug with GDB. I'm trying the GDB Stubs created by g3gg0. This task is not a priority but soon I hope to get back to doing some tests and be successful.

3) In the last days, I spent some time with the overlays.
I'm trying to use the code developed for 5DC.
With Alex's help I managed to display some overlays in play mode.

LensPainter

Hi all,

have you considered to integrate the additional menus of the WFT-E3 and the GPS Menu? Maybe this is disturbing a little bit the ability to read out all the parameters and set the values. The screen flashing because of nulls/values missing??
I think it's the most complicated part of the menu-structure! Lots of menus where you can really get lost...

I could shoot some pics with my iPhone and mail them, if you are interested.

Kind regards

Uwe

jplxpto

@LensPainter

Hi,

I just had a chance to answer it now.
I appreciate your suggestion, but I do not know if this is possible.

I do not own any of these devices, so I never saw these menus.
I know they exist because I've seen some strings in the firmware.
I would love to see these photos. I'm waiting ... Thank you.

LensPainter

@jplxpto
Hi,

I think I need your email-address - there are 98 pictures so far...

Kind regards

Uwe

jplxpto