Motion Detection Lightning and Intervalometer + ETTR Bridge Photos

Started by MistressBand, February 13, 2015, 11:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MistressBand

The first two were during a storm last year.  I used the motion detect feature in ML, and left the camera on for about 20 minutes.  These were my two favorite shots that it captured in those 20 minutes.

The 3rd one was a 3-4 hour timelapse using the ML intervalometer with auto ETTR feature.  The exposure was set automatically and accurately with ETTR from day to night.

DeafEyeJedi

Excellent work! Thanks for sharing @MistressBand -- would you mind sharing us which body did you use? Lens?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

MistressBand

Sure!  All photos were on a 5d mark III.  The lightning ones were shot with the canon 50mm f/1.2 L, at f/5, iso 100 and 1 sec shutter.  The bridge one was with the 70-200 f/2.8 L II.  That one was at f/11 with whatever auto ETTR picked for ISO and shutter speed.  Everything was with a tripod obviously.

DeafEyeJedi

Very well done. Hopefully I can find these sweets spots just by looking at your shots. The wife has family up in the bay area.

Curious... have you tried using FRSP for Timelapse yet? It's def worth checking out... especially if you want to keep your shutter count down.  ;)

Thanks again for sharing your work!

Happy Shooting!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on February 14, 2015, 10:17:02 AMHopefully I can find these sweets spots just by looking at your shots. The wife has family up in the bay area.

SF? Philadelphia featuring Cira Centre and Ben Franklin Bridge.

DeafEyeJedi

Ah you're right actually -- Guess it looked quite similar to the bay area briefly on my iPhone...

Gotta stop using Tapatalk these days... Ha!

Good catch @Walter Schulz!

MistressBand

Yep, Philly.  The bridge one is from a place called Graffiti Pier.  If you are ever in Philly, I recommend checking it out.  Just do a google search for Graffiti Pier Philadelphia.

I have never heard of FRSP until you linked it just now.  Looks pretty awesome.  I still haven't tried Dual ISO.  That's my next adventure haha.

DeafEyeJedi

Definitely will do & Thanks for the pointers. I used to live in D.C. for a few years during college and man it was quite an interesting experience.

Dual-ISO was an adventure at first and still is. Just like walking into a jungle full of possibilities. Definitely worth to dig deep into it.

You running on Mac or P.C.?

MistressBand

PC.

Yeah, I want to try dual ISO at a concert.  Might allow to bring up some of the background on top of whatever the projector is hitting, or not blow out the lights.  Could be a unique look because I haven't seen HDResque live concert photos before.

DeafEyeJedi

Ah bummer there's a nice app that works well for Dual-ISO on Mac in cr2hdr-r...

But ofc there are other great options for PC as well.

Recommended
MLVFS - dmilligan
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.0

MlRawViewer – baldand (This one doesn't have Dual-ISO converter but still a great app)
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.0

Lightroom plugin cr2hdr - Kitchehof (Be sure to use v3.0 BETA3 which includes the cr2hdr-20bit)
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11056.0

MistressBand

Thanks.  I tried the lightroom one first.  I have to look up how to properly use image stacks heh.  Right now I am liking the cr2hdr drag and drop method.  It is very easy.  Have you ever found the need to edit the default conversion parameters to combine the 2 ISOs, or do you convert and not worry about it?

MistressBand

I also use MLV Converter 1.9.2 for video.  I see it has a dual ISO tab, but I've never used it.

DeafEyeJedi

I do play with the parameters a little. depending if its going to be stills, video or time-lapse, etc... For the most part I try avoiding Hightlights, Shadows when it comes to videos/TL's but for Stills...

It's quite fun playing w it the parameters... you could press Auto and see how much has changed and then tweak your way down to your preferences.

Possibilities is endless...

If I can recall correctly that if you do get annoyed by having to do this... there's an app that does the work for you for PC with @a1ex's tweaked version of UFRaw-mod

Other than these I just suggested I can't really speak any more for Windows (PC) because I don't want to be giving you the wrong pointers in this field since I'm mainly on Mac's.

;)

DeafEyeJedi

Regarding MLV Converter 1.9.2 (with Dual-ISO feature) Ive heard good things about it but haven't seen results... Im sure it doesn't hurt to try and experiment with it.

Sometimes I run VMware on my Mac to test these out but often times it runs too slow (VMware related issues?) and besides that I'm a happy Mac guru atm!

MistressBand

Cool, good to know.  I'm going to be shooting a music video when it warms up, so I'll be trying the video dual ISO stuff then, assuming I need the extra DR.  Stills are good practice beforehand.