TASCAM DR-60D mkII DSLR Audio Recorder

Started by PressureFM, February 12, 2015, 08:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PressureFM

If anyone is looking to improve their audio solution with their DSLR, the TASCAM DR-60D mkII is on Massdrop right now for $164.99 (MSRP $249.99).

Might be interesting for some of you :)

Kharak

Been looking at it before!

I'd like to own one, but friend of mine has the first edition and don't think it will be a problem to borrow it!

I was really impressed with the quality of the sound! 96hz on NTG2, was walking around with headphones and a boom recording sound of my own feet, sounded like something straight out of a hollywood film.
once you go raw you never go back

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

PressureFM

They don't compare, the Beachtek doesn't even have XLR/Phantom inputs, has much worse S/N rating etc.

PressureFM

You can also grab the Zoom H5 Portable Recorder now for $229.99 (MSRP $337).

And yes, this one is also much better than the Beachtek ;)

3 days left on the TASCAM DR-60D mkII DSLR Audio Recorder and 9 days left on the Zoom H5.

DeafEyeJedi

Yeah figured so lol thanks for sharing @PressureFM
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

emphram

I own a Tascam DR-05 and I'll tell you that I love it, although some times I´m not 100% sure what I'm doing with it. I'd love to own this one, but unfortunately I have taxes to pay in a couple of of weeks.

ibrahim

I've been using Tascam Dr-60d MKii for a few months now. It is one of the best field recorders out there. If not the best professional field recorder to record high quality neat audio (free from hiss) for those on budget.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

jose_ugs

@ibrahim, do you know if the pre's on this one are better, compared to the original DR?
I have the original and sometimes it's a problem with a NTG2 and sounds that are far away or close to you, but low in dB.

ibrahim

Quote from: jose_ugs on March 04, 2015, 05:52:04 PM
@ibrahim, do you know if the pre's on this one are better, compared to the original DR?
I have the original and sometimes it's a problem with a NTG2 and sounds that are far away or close to you, but low in dB.

I don't really know but I chose dr-60d mkii after a 4-5 months research. The only downside of it are two things:
1) The short battery life, especially with Phantom power used. I solved this problem solved using an external power bus (from anker) using 9V.
2) The headphone output has some noise which gives the impression that there is noise in the recorded sound, which isn't the case.

Despite the fact the the broadcasting quality can be recorded it is always best to analyze the audio on softwares such as Audition to "filter away" any unwanted sound. I rarely use this since I've used the tascam.

Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600