Grade difference within and outside Resolve, why? MLV files

Started by anandkamal, February 10, 2015, 12:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anandkamal

Hi friends, my footage is mlv files from 5d3.. I am new to color grading. I have graded a footage applying LUTs. Inside Resolve, the footage is bright and sharp. After I render and watch it in vlc player, it is slightly dull. This look is seen in all render forms like dnxhd 444, dnxhd 220/10bit.

I haven't calibrated the monitor (LED HP pavilion 22fi)...Just tried my hands on grading. Why is this difference occuring? Should i consider this dull output and tweak a little extreme in resolve?

https://images.creativecow.net/273943/resolvcolordifference.jpg

thanks.

KelvinK

VLC player on default has wrong "point for blacks", so colors are washed.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

anandkamal

baldavenger

Try exporting separate copy with Data levels selected, and another with Video levels.  Also, how are you applying your luts?
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

Andy600

as @baldavenger says try video levels - you would normally set to video levels for deliverables. Also, do you have the legalizer enabled and are you using an external monitor or just the internal (small) monitor window?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com