Resolve DNG 14bit vs DNxHD 10bit Premiere pro Question??

Started by exomonkeyman, March 19, 2015, 02:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exomonkeyman

Hello what i'm asking here is simple stuff, just wan tto rollout some bumps and smallish questions i have (: i just want to know if i'm not mistaken here.
(The parts on bold is what i'm more or less asking)
Images are not really important there just showing what i'm talking about... well roughly.

1. So keeping this really short. I made my .RAW files into cinema DNG's which i then put in resolve and they are being edited at 14-bit (yes/no?)
And i rendered them into a DNxHD 444 file to premiere and i'm now editing them in premier at 10bit (yes/no?) Premiere sees them as 10bit. Which is still 2x better than h.264? (yes/no?)

2. Also if this is true i can't see much difference between the two 14-bit & 10-bit?. Is it also worth encoding into cineform 16-bit? (yes/no?)

3. I also want to know can premier edit in 14bit? Cause adobe has a plugin that imports full RED raw footage. And that's a big codec at a large bit depth, so why can cinema DNG's not be put straight into premiere.

4. Also is it worth putting the cinema DNG into a BMDfile or C-LOG/Slog2 color to then put into DNxHD 444 to then color correct in premier or would that just a make a mess?

Getting a little confused and worked up about this. Cheers to anyone who cna help

reddeercity

Premiere Pro CC Supports Cdng's image sequences from magic lantern raw, as long as you have a fast drive (SSD) and strong GPU
should be real time editing, then finish in Resolve.
This way you have a 16bit pipeline -->.

exomonkeyman

Hey thanks for your response.

So yea it turns out that you can just import the .dng file straight into premiere but i'm not convinced this is still 14-bit raw.
It looks a tad worse than the DNxHD 444 files and it color corrects no better.

I don't have a decent computer and i hear a lot about how intense this 14bit editing can be... it's not laggy at all. It's as fast if not faster than h.264. Which makes me not convinced that i'm not editing in 14 bit. In fact to be completely honestly with you. Apart from the RAW images Dynamic range (brightness from darkness) and sharpness.

It color corrects no better than h.264 I must be doing something wrong.

TLDR: Is there any way i can check premiere setting to see if what i'm editing is actually a 14-bit sequence?

Frank7D

Premiere generates preview files and that (I believe) is what you see when editing. I am on CS5 though so can't speak from personal experience about CC.
Then again, I may be wrong. Not sure when these preview files are generated and used. All I know is that my video in Premiere never looks as good as it really is until I render it out.

exomonkeyman

I was hoping for a workflow to be able to just have the 14bit raws in premiere and to color correct them there and then. Almost nearly every workflow ends up being a round trip back to resolve for the finale grade, i i want to skip and do in premiere.

Which i suppose if i can grade in DNxHD 444 10-bit in premiere that's still better than h.264 i guess.

QuickHitRecord

If you're not doing multicam editing or retiming your footage, you could always just cut it in Resolve. The built-in editor isn't bad.
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

reddeercity

You can always Use Adobe Speed Grade if you are in the Creative Cloud .
Premiere Pro CC to Speed Grade , Or you Could Pre-Grade in After Effect with ACR, export to Video file.
There is so many possibly workflows you can use .

exomonkeyman

Hi thanks very much for the responses (:

Devinci seems to work best for me still.
Cheers.