Alexa Mini - oh my!

Started by Andy600, February 23, 2015, 05:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

No digital camera has ever made me drool - until now http://www.arri.com/alexamini/

One thing's for sure - this will not be cheap so I'm going to stop dreaming right away  ;D.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

budafilms

Such a nice girl! It's my dream!

40.000 U$ (Body)

I put other note about it... and a question to the community after watch the video: twenty times de price of Mark III,  twenty times the RAW quality? check the blacks in the garage! ;)

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/02/arri-alexa-mini-smaller-package-price-cost-release-date

Andy600

$40k!? - not unexpected but a little less than I thought - but still ouch!

I wouldn't say it's 20x better in terms of raw quality (a 5D Mark III shooting MLV can get surprisingly close to the Alexa in terms of color) but everything else, the size, form factor, is so well thought out (as is usual for ARRI). I think it's as close to a perfect Digital Cinema Camera as you can get at present although I'm a little surprised ARRI haven't developed a global sensor version of the Alev sensor yet - or maybe they have and it's coming.

The grade, or lack of one, is why the blacks look crushed - unless they messed up the actual shoot  :-\. It's not a very good advert for ARRI IMO but I know how the Alexa performs and those shots are a walk-in-the-park for the Alev sensor.

The latest rumors about a new 5D (18mpx, dual C-Fast and ISO performance matching Sony's A7s) will narrow the gap even more - if it a) happens and b) can run ML.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

RTLdan

I have to admit, when I saw the Alexa Mini press release on No Film School, I thought maybe they were releasing something
in the price range of a RED Scarlett...so seeing the $40k price tag made me laugh.
Arri does a lot right. Their pricing model however, in my opinion seems a bit antiquated. But then again, people will pay for it.
Blackmagic Design might not have everything together as much as I would like, but I love Grant Petty's philosophy on making
cinema tools accessible. Hopefully they will tighten up some of their camera troubles and make it an excellent option in the sub $5k range.

Really, the most promising camera to me right now is the in-dev Axiom. Reasonable price. Modular. Open source. Can't wait to see a production model in the coming future.

budafilms

Alexa is a CAMERA.

But we have to watch this, under 3k price of Mark III, and say: "thanks A1ex, you are the man"

https://vimeo.com/74459498

SiSS

I think the price is in the line for them.
I don't think many here are on the target market for owning any version of Alexa.

The thing is, the big boys at the industry have been needing this for a while. The fact that it's easily mixed with main Alexa, makes it perfect second camera for many purposes. I'll bet we see lot of creative stuff out of that, first at the commercials and then feature.

It's a beauty tough.

extremelypoorfilmaker

thanks A1ex, you are the man!

budafilms

extremelypoorfilmaker

His name is Robert Paulson!

:D