False color / green screen

Started by sgofferj, February 05, 2015, 07:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgofferj

Hi,

I have discovered the false color function and I love it! It's a huge help, especially for even lighting of chroma key backdrops. I am however puzzled by the green screen palette. I never get a green screen. The only thing I get is more or less even gray and when I change the exposure I get green edges at some grey fields. The display of the palette in the menu, however, looks like the display should actually be green when the backdrop is evenly lit and optimally exposed.
I even tried switching to Marshall palette, play with lights and exposure settings until the whole backdrop was medium gray with small green and orange areas at the border. Then I switched to the green screen palette and again everything was evenly gray except the boders to areas which were orange or green in the Marshall palette. Those borders had pretty exactly the tone of the backdrop. They actually changed tone as I changed the exposure settings. Now I'm confused...

Could somebody please explain this palette to me or point me to a good explanation? :)

-Stefan
18+ years Linux user, wolf-fan, hobby photographer and -filmmaker
EOS 6D, EOS 7D

sgofferj

Ummmm, nope. I don't have any blue or red. The min max and average, yes, but my palette is shades of gray with lots of green in the center. No red or blue. Is ML for 6D different in functionality than for the 5DII?
EOS 6D, EOS 7D

sgofferj

EOS 6D, EOS 7D

a1ex

That's the closest description I could find. If some things changed meanwhile, feel free to update the user guide.

sgofferj

Well, if I would understand that palette... It looks like medium luma values should appear in green but they don't...
EOS 6D, EOS 7D

a1ex

sgofferj

Nope, they don't. That screenshot was just quick and dirty. As I wrote above, earlier I tested with the Marshall palette, setting lighting up so that everything was medium grey with a bit of blue and orange and when I switched to greenscreen palette, everything was greay with those dots as some kind of boundary between the grey that is grey also in the Marshall palette and the grey that is orange or blue in the Marshall palette. But I don't see any bigger green areas as I would expect to when I look at the palette...
EOS 6D, EOS 7D