[600d] picture quality etc affect buffer size? Need help

Started by 97%, February 03, 2015, 10:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97%

Hi, im using a new magic lantern nightly with mlv record. I would like to know whether there is a way to increase the buffer size to record for longer. In tragic lantern you could set the picture quality to sraw which increased the buffer size heavily. Do the settings in canon menu change anything? I mean, like am I able to record longer mlv when I change the picture quality from raw to maybe small jpeg? And at last, I searched in the forum but didn't found any good explanation : what does the setting buffer fill method do? I currently have it at 0 because I found posts saying that these would be the best.
I would be very happy if anyone answered :)

And please excuse my English as I'm not a native speaker
Greetings
97Percent

dmilligan

There's only so much RAM in the camera that can be used as buffer space. By now we have figured out how to allocate (reserve) just about as much as is possible.

Changing the picture quality to JPEG  causes Canon firmware to free up some RAM that ML can then allocate using one of the old methods. However, we recently figured out how to allocate this memory directly ourselves (this memory is called SRM job memory by Canon firmware) without needing to change the picture quality (this means you can't take picture while its allocated, but nobody complained about not being able to take pictures while shooting raw video :P ).

Bottom line: there's no need to change the picture quality anymore or anything else like that. You've got just about all the memory you are going to get.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12528.0

97%

Thank you for your reply . And do you even know how the buffer fill method affects the write speed?