URGENT: Post-processing time estimate??????

Started by georgiagreening, February 03, 2015, 01:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgiagreening

Hi,

We are about to shoot a project on Canon 5D Mk iii/Magic Lantern. In total we will shoot approximately 150-200GB of footage and I wondered if anybody could give the roughest estimate as to how long the post-processing workflow will take, from the RAW-DNG conversion right the way through to being able to edit on an FCP timeline.

I know this is a long shot as it will depend on a lot of different factors, but if it is a case of losing out on 1 or 2 days then we will not use RAW for the shoot. I have searched high and low on the internet and nobody seems to clarify how long their own projects have taken - just that the process will add a considerable amount of time to your project.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Georgia

georgiagreening

I will be using RawMagic, Davinci Resolve and FCP7

walter_schulz

Sorry, RAWmagic is not supported here.
Background info: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13335.0
Use other converter or contact RareVision.

dmilligan

shameless plug: consider using MLVFS
no waiting for things to convert

DFM

There's no single answer.

RAW/MLV obviously fills cards much faster, so you will need to dump them on location or carry a large box of new cards. A lone shooter with two cards could be sitting for 20 mins waiting for a laptop to suck each one across a USB3 connection onto an external drive; if you have a suitcase of cards you don't care, and with a DIT it all happens while you're shooting the next scene.

RAW/MLV is fractionally less reliable than the standard 5D3 mirror solution with H.264 (recording to cards and a Ninja at the same time) so you may want to review every shot to make sure there are no torn frames. In that case you will be sitting at laptops for as long as you were sitting at the camera - or again hire a DIT.

Once you have all your footage back in the edit room, converting it to CinemaDNG can either take no time at all (with MLVFS) or a few minutes per 4GB chunk (with the other tools and a typical spec desktop machine). If you're not using MLVFS, just batch process them overnight.

Editing the footage is no different, but if you use proxies and relink to the cDNGs for final rendering, it will of course export much slower than an H.264 timeline. How much slower is impossible to say, it depends on your hardware and what effects you've applied. If you need an estimate, shoot 60 secs of something random in RAW and H.264 and run both through your production pipeline.

jtvision

I usually fill up my two 64GB cards on a single shoot, which is roughly 12min video each.
Copying to PC usually takes 30mins each = 1hour.
Converting to dng takes 2 hours. I use raw 1.0 and raw2dng ( Most stable. No issues at all.) I use batch renamer to rename folders and dngs inside. This can be skipped.
Basic adjustments WB, exposure, saturation. Resolve. BMD film - 1hour.
Export to DNxHD takes around 2 hours.

6 hours for 128gb footage which is roughly 24min video.