Best format to send to VFX?

Started by rustmonster, February 02, 2015, 11:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustmonster

I've recently completed a short using Magic Lantern Raw, there's a couple of VFX shots and I'm just trying to work out what's the best format to send to the guy who'll be doing the work.

I want to do quite a heavy grade after the fact and the plan for grading the film will be do to take the raw files into resolve, use cinelog-c to and then apply a out then tweak from there.

Should I see the original image sequence to the VFX guys, should I export the sequence as a Prores444 file or similar having applied cinelog-c but nothing else? I'm just concerned whats the best way to grade the final composited image as some of the elements added will not give me the flexibility to grade that the image as much if it were all raw...

Any help would be appreciated.

Audionut

Ask them what formats they support.

Africashot

I'd make sure your WB and exposure are spot on, then export to Prores4444 in cinelog c, as far as grading is concerned you should be covered for DR as long as WB is set correctly before exporting.
ML 5D2 & T3i

Andy600

Most VFX houses support (and prefer) OpenEXR format but a ProRes 4444 XQ in Cinelog-C will be more than enough. You could also include the Cinelog-C to Scene Linear RGB lut - if you have the ACR version you can generate the lut (.3dl) using OpenColorIO.

If they have any questions about the colorspace just point them to the Cinelog website. They can contact me if needed :)

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

rustmonster

Thanks for the updates guys.

It's not going directly through a post house, but being done by someone on the side!

I was thinking a ProRes4444XQ file would be good enough but as he asked for the original files and I know he hasn't worked with Magic Lantern raw files before so I just thought I'd check to see what the best workflow would be.

I'll investigate exporting from resolve as an OpenEXR as well.

scatsy

If they use NukeX, send the footage in uncompressed Tiff

Hans_Punk

.Tiff or .DPX sequences are a preferred standard in my experience.